Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

battery not charging

Playakiin

Reaction score
I have a drone tello. I tried it and it worked fine, but then the 4th time I tried to use it, I charged it with a fast charger and my battery got swollen. In the DJI store here in Cancun, recomended me to charge it with the computer and buy a new battery. I bought a new battery. I plug it with the computer and never got charged, then I plug it with a charger of 5 V 1 ampere and it didn´t got charged. I read the manual and it says that it has a safety feature that the drone doesn´t allow to over charge it, But then why it got swollen the first battery. Then I read the manual again and it recommended that the charger should be 5V 2 amperes or more. I used it. It blink as it should slowly blue. I waited 2 and a half hour, although the manual says it should be done in 1 1/2 hour, but I tried to turn the drone on, but didn´t work. I started the application of the drone in my phone and it shows a empty red battery. What am I doing wrong?
Is there a way to check if the battery is fully charged?
Please help

My advice is to charge the batteries externally from the tello with the original charger and a 5 Volt 2 Amp power supply.
the fully charged battery must have a maximum voltage of 4.35 volts and must not drop below 3 volts during discharge.
You can check the voltage directly from pin 1-3
The battery swelled because it was badly charged. When you are not using the drone, do not leave the batteries charged or discharged, but take them to 3.85 volts.

981617_1.jpgdji-tello-batteria-litio-1100mah.jpg
See example of voltage reading.
View attachment 20201003_142556-01.jpeg

Thank you very much, I will check as soon I am at home. Even though is a new battery and haven't use it, but since I've tried to charged it several times, I hope I haven´t over charged it. Is there a way to know if it´s still working? to me it looks that is starting to swell a little bit.

I have been using the DJI external charger for years and I have never had problems with swelling ... if the battery is not faulty it is difficult for it to swell during a charge with a specific charger.

Never underestimate the danger of lipo batteries, even if it is small and seemingly harmless, but if it swells excessively it can catch fire at any moment and hurt you or worse (remember it burns very fast and at high temperatures, so it's a moment does damage).

1 - NEVER charge or discharge the batteries too much ... they would be irreparably damaged (3V the cell discharges !! 4.2V / 4.35 for the LI-HV the cell is charged !! never go out of this range)
2 - NEVER keep the batteries charged or discharged for too long (1-2 days). The battery MUST be "stored" when not in use, which means that the Battery must always be kept "half charged" when not in use (3.80 V and 3.85 Volt).
Leaving a discharged battery, or worse charged, for a few weeks stresses its chemistry, compromising its duration. The advice is to charge the batteries the day before their use or the same day and store them after each flight at 3.80 V. This type of accumulators have a minimum self-discharge and are able to maintain a charge for a long time.

I bought 5 Tello drones 2 years ago… I never opened them… I just opened 1 to try it out and none of the batteries will charge.., are the batteries shot or am I doing something wrong?

I plug in the batteries and on 1 set of charging batteries they all remain red ( all 3). I had them on overnight with no change.
On a second set I get 1 battery red, 1 battery yellow or white light and the last green… none are charged though.
They were all brand new. Never used. Due to Covid I could not use them in my classroom for 2 years. Just trying to set them up and this is what get.
Any help would be appreciated.
Tim

Give the battery a "shock". Connect (+) with (+) and (-) with (-) on a polling source larger than battery (up to 12V) for at least 1 min. I did it with a 12V one and it started charging again.

I have a drone tello. I tried it and it worked fine, but then the 4th time I tried to use it, I charged it with a fast charger and my battery got swollen. In the DJI store here in Cancun, recomended me to charge it with the computer and buy a new battery. I bought a new battery. I plug it with the computer and never got charged, then I plug it with a charger of 5 V 1 ampere and it didn´t got charged. I read the manual and it says that it has a safety feature that the drone doesn´t allow to over charge it, But then why it got swollen the first battery. Then I read the manual again and it recommended that the charger should be 5V 2 amperes or more. I used it. It blink as it should slowly blue. I waited 2 and a half hour, although the manual says it should be done in 1 1/2 hour, but I tried to turn the drone on, but didn´t work. I started the application of the drone in my phone and it shows a empty red battery. What am I doing wrong?
Is there a way to check if the battery is fully charged?
Please help
hi there, i had the same problem and i found the solution on the internet from a gut from Argentina: The real problem is the app, to update the firmware you need to install the tello app v1.1.1 on android only (you can find it online) and a charge battery.
Without the battery press and hold the power buttom and conect the charger, keep holdin the power buttom and insert the battery, when the green led turn off release the power buttom. It will turn a pulsing red light, connect the tello to your device and procede to install the firmware from the app.
this work for me and i hope works for you.

I found that my batteries were all showing red when I tried to charge them in the multi charger. What I did was briefly charge them in the drone one at a time (i have 3) you get blue flashing. This seemed to kick them back to life - then when I placed them back in the multi charger (the black charger with 3 slots) they were charging fine again. I Didn't use the drone for over a year.

1665305272641.png

hi there, i had the same problem and i found the solution on the internet from a gut from Argentina: The real problem is the app, to update the firmware you need to install the tello app v1.1.1 on android only (you can find it online) and a charge battery.
Without the battery press and hold the power buttom and conect the charger, keep holdin the power buttom and insert the battery, when the green led turn off release the power buttom. It will turn a pulsing red light, connect the tello to your device and procede to install the firmware from the app.
this work for me and i hope works for you.
This worked for me as well.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv