Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Best wifi repeater for our tello?

hotte.surf

Reaction score
I tried to install the Xiaomi wifi repeater 2. What a terrible system! Some user say the better
thing is the meross repeater. Is there somebody who can confirm this?
THANKS hotte.surf

Reactions: ren123
I tried to install the Xiaomi wifi repeater 2. What a terrible system! Some user say the better
thing is the meross repeater. Is there somebody who can confirm this?
THANKS hotte.surf

I was going to get the Meross but three factors changed my mind:
  1. Price - Xiaomi 2 was cheaper; and
  2. Popularity - I couldn't find anyone using the Meross with the Tello. On the other hand, every Tello owner using a WiFi extender on Youtube was using the Xiaomi 2.
  3. SSID Plus - I know the Xiaomi 2 creates a new SSID for the extended WiFi instead of using the same SSID as the Tello. Wasn't sure if the Meross could do the same.

Point #2 really pushed me to get the Xiaomi 2. I figured it proves it works well with the Tello and if I had any issues I was more likely to find help.

Reactions: Seaking6
  2. Popularity - I couldn't find anyone using the Meross with the Tello. On the other hand, every Tello owner using a WiFi extender on Youtube was using the Xiaomi 2.
  3. SSID Plus - I know the Xiaomi 2 creates a new SSID for the extended WiFi instead of using the same SSID as the Tello. Wasn't sure if the Meross could do the same.

Point #2 really pushed me to get the Xiaomi 2. I figured it proves it works well with the Tello and if I had any issues I was more likely to find help.

You can name your SSID whatever you like with the Meross as well. The need for an extra app is a nogo, let alone granting tons of permissions...

You can name your SSID whatever you like with the Meross as well. The need for an extra app is a nogo, let alone granting tons of permissions...
Good to know about the Meross. Might have changed my mind if I'd have been able to find that out a month ago.

I think the Xiaomi app is so complicated because they do a lot of smart home automation with the same app (vacuum cleaners, lights, etc.).

But I agree with you 100%. It's overkill for a WiFi extender and it was one of the reasons I looked into the Meross repeater.

Luckily I have a spare phone with no sim card and no contacts on it so I just used that to set up the Xiaomi. You only need to set it up once, so then I deleted the app and can still use the repeater with any phone. It retains the settings after it has been disconnected from power, too.

Wish someone would do a head-to-head with the Meross and the the repeater Xiaomi with the Tello to know which is better. I'd even settle for a comparison using just with a WiFi signal tester.

I tried looking up specs on each but could only find specs for the Meross (see here - N300 Wi-Fi Range Extender_Meross). Couldn't find anything similar for the Xiaomi.

Just ordered a Meross MRE220 from Amazon for 9 quid as seems to be the easier one to set up. Will try on tuesday when it arrives

Reactions: temps8

Just tried my new Xiaomi with my week old Tello and accidentally gave it a distance test. I lost visual but found it using the last frame of video captured 900ft. away! (measured on Google Maps) I don't think I want to go any further.

Reactions: iWiFly and Tuba
I did not actually order a repeater for distance enchancement but for better wifi for height. My eyes are not what they used to be so no point in losing the Tello by flying too far

Windsurfing was my great hobby for 32 years. now I am 81 years old and it is too late filming me when surfing. Now me hobby
is our tello - for me a super drone. But flying over the sea I think it is not the best. I hope that DJi/Ryze bring a Tello 2 a little bit
bigger (but not the price). Excuse my bad English (German) there are so many years I learned it at School. Your hotte.surf

Reactions: Seaking6
Xiaomi Nano Youth. Excellent MIMO router, configured by browser so no need for a crappy app.

Does about 400m before finally losing signal, 200-250m is reliable. More important for me is penetration:I can go around the brick house, or behind a line of trees no problem.

I don't think its available anymore, I bought it last year for my Bebop 2. Seems to be the gold standard in the Bebop community.

I have the Meross MRE 220. Very easy to install. No App needed.

First initial start:
Connect the MRE 220 with the powerbank
Connect the smartphone with the WIFI of the MRE220.
Start the tello wifi,
open meross.net in your Smartphone-browser
Select the Tello WIFI (the SSID you would like to "repeat") at meross.net and wait until the MRE220 finished the configuration
Connect Smartphone to the tello wifi-SSID
Done

Procedure when you would like to fly

Start the tello
Connect the MRE 220 with the powerbank and wait till the LED Shows connection
Connect the Smartphone to the wifi-Tello SSID (if not done auomatically)
Start the tello app and have fun.

Video Quality is improved (less frame dropping) and also the range is extended. But i do not have made any range experiments yet.
I am very happy with this solution. (y)
The Xiaomi repeater was no choice because one app is needed and the app send my personal data from the smartphone home to China. (no protection of data privacy o_O)

Regards
sfs-archery

Reactions: jorgimello
I cannot see the problem that many have with the Xiaomi 2. Agreed it is a bit of a hassle at the beginning but when it is setup properly nothing could be easier as you do nothing. I just plug it into a power bank. Put it down near where I am going to fly. Attach phone to controller. Just a few touches on phone screen, look at repeater to check it is transmitting - it always is. How can that be hard ?

Reactions: Seaking6 and xcrost

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv