Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Brand new DJI lost after one day from purchase.

CyberKitten05

Reaction score
Hello. Two days ago I bought a Tello DJI. Yesterday I flew it for the first time, I spent the whole day with it. Then, at around 8 PM, I flew it over my house. I know, I know, I shouldn't have flew it at night, but the lights in my yard were on and I thought it was safe. Anyway, it reached the top of my roof, it was out of our field view, and then it just... Disappeared. It's battery was full, but it was probably too far away, but it disappeared suddenly. There was absolutely no camera lag, but then the communication just ended, and we stopped hearing the drone. Later that night, about three and a half hours later, me and my father climbed to the roof and looked for the Drone EVERYWHERE, absolutely every single corner, but it wasn't there. The WiFi network just disappeared. We informed our neighbors to see if it maybe landed on their yard, but other then that, there is no sign of it. Is there anything I can do to find it?

Reply alreadyyyyyyyy I checked my neighbor's yard and it's not there

First off WELCOME to the forum!!

Sorry to hear about your loss but keep in mind this is a VOLUNTEER website and members log-on and post as they have time and inclination. So no need to post "requests for posts" because when someone has something relevant to your request they will post and not before.

Reply alreadyyyyyyyy I checked my neighbor's yard and it's not there
Welcome to the forum, sorry about your drone. I lost one in a tree, for a week......sometimes they come back, keep looking, there's a good chance that you WILL find it. Also, don't worry, you'll crash and lose it again. It's the nature of the beast.

Reactions: BigAl07
First off WELCOME to the forum!!

Sorry to hear about your loss but keep in mind this is a VOLUNTEER website and members log-on and post as they have time and inclination. So no need to post "requests for posts" because when someone has something relevant to your request they will post and not before.
Oh ok. I'm usually only active on GameFAQs and I'm used to "bump" a thread whenever it gets buried, I'm not really used to the way this site works.

Okay, my dad talked with some of our neighbors. One of them (which is good with drones) said he heard about and saw a drone that flew past his house towards the forest. Oof. Me and my dad will go search for it tomorrow with our dogs. Wish us luck!

How did the search go for the drone?
Okay, my dad comes home late and I wanted to do this before before it gets dark, so me and my dog went alone. I went inside the forest and it was actually pretty nice! There was a path with some shacks that I believe are abandoned, and a lot of plants and flowers. It was a part of the village I didn't know that existed! I wonder why nobody goes there, it's a really nice place. Anyway, at one point a small dog started barking at us so we ran away. We didn't reach the part where the drone was supposed to be but I definitely don't consider this walk a loss. Maybe I'll go back with my dad on Saturday when there's no school and work.

Reactions: SLANGza and BigAl07
Welp, me and my dad went searching for it today instead of saturday. We took the car and saw a kid that looked like he was flying a drone. I wanted to ask him about the drone but my dad drove past him. The forest was too thicc, so we went looking past the forest. I fell and slid down the small hill and got hurt. We went home and treated the injuries. So, we went looking, I got hurt, and then we came home. Overall not a really good search. Not even a search, just a not really good. My dad will post on the village's Facebook and Whatsapp about the drone, and if nobody responds in a week, we'll buy a new one.

Welp, me and my dad went searching for it today instead of saturday. We took the car and saw a kid that looked like he was flying a drone.
Wow, this is developing into a novella... please keep us all updated on the latest.

Also know that we all hope you find it! (Personally, I hope one of your dog's sniffs it out... good boy!)

Good luck

Fantastic idea for a book.LOL. May I suggest tying a string to the next one. Lol. Just kidding. Few things in life more frustrating, and depressing than losing your drone. I do have 2 suggestions. Red propellers and guards(on front of drone)or some other bright colors, look at the pics of mine.Red works really well, yellow too. Black just disappears in the bushes and trees. And of course TelloFPV, which will show you distance and direction. I've tree'd a few drones, some with help.......ladders and rakes, climbing up trees, part of being a drone pilot. Fly, crash, repair, fly, crash, repair......repeat as necessary. This is what you've signed up for.
Keep us posted on your progress, and keep looking for it, even a few months from now it will probably still work. Good luck. Keep flying

Wow, this is developing into a novella... please keep us all updated on the latest.

Also know that we all hope you find it! (Personally, I hope one of your dog's sniffs it out... good boy!)

Good luck
Both of our dogs are female... But they are still good girls! They are not trained, so they don't know how to sit and especially not how to sniff stuff, but they do know a few "custom" tricks. But I must admit, I'd get VERY excited if one day they just came with a drone in their mouth and put it next to the door. Reminds me of a cat we had once that would kill cockroaches and move them to the door so we can see them and congratulate him. My big sister used to hate cats and that's how she started loving cats (because we all know how teenage girls and cockroaches interact).

Last edited:
Fantastic idea for a book.LOL. May I suggest tying a string to the next one. Lol. Just kidding. Few things in life more frustrating, and depressing than losing your drone. I do have 2 suggestions. Red propellers and guards(on front of drone)or some other bright colors, look at the pics of mine.Red works really well, yellow too. Black just disappears in the bushes and trees. And of course TelloFPV, which will show you distance and direction. I've tree'd a few drones, some with help.......ladders and rakes, climbing up trees, part of being a drone pilot. Fly, crash, repair, fly, crash, repair......repeat as necessary. This is what you've signed up for.
Keep us posted on your progress, and keep looking for it, even a few months from now it will probably still work. Good luck. Keep flying
The color idea is cool but I'm a colorblind so it won't help so much...
But maybe I can stick one of those light refelctors you put in bikes and some stickers that that shine in the dark... Thanks for the idea!

Good luck and hope you find the drone! I lost one a few years ago (flew over some trees and kept going and never seen again). Nowadays I only fly in open areas and avoid houses and trees ...

I really hope you find the Tello. It is hardy and some have found them weeks later, cleaned them up and they've flown again. Remember that it is gone because of the last minute risk you took, flying it in dark over a house where it would lose signal due to the obstacle, the house. The sensors don't work in low light either. (Please say "my dad and I", not "me and my dad... sorry English teacher in me) We are really hoping you come up with good news soon. You were looking for advice but there is little we can give other than keep looking. There is no GPS capability to help. Remember the direction you were flying and look that way. Think of how much battery was left. It may have gone a little way, hovered till the battery level landed it. They are hard to see in tops of trees or on a roof. Sometimes a breeze later will make it fall from high in a tree. Use a flashlight at night to look upward in trees.

I really hope you find the Tello. It is hardy and some have found them weeks later, cleaned them up and they've flown again. Remember that it is gone because of the last minute risk you took, flying it in dark over a house where it would lose signal due to the obstacle, the house. The sensors don't work in low light either. (Please say "my dad and I", not "me and my dad... sorry English teacher in me) We are really hoping you come up with good news soon. You were looking for advice but there is little we can give other than keep looking. There is no GPS capability to help. Remember the direction you were flying and look that way. Think of how much battery was left. It may have gone a little way, hovered till the battery level landed it. They are hard to see in tops of trees or on a roof. Sometimes a breeze later will make it fall from high in a tree. Use a flashlight at night to look upward in trees.
...It was on full battery.
I wouldn't be surprised if I found it outside of the village.
Actually, I WOULD be surprised if I even found it at all.

The color idea is cool but I'm a colorblind so it won't help so much...
But maybe I can stick one of those light refelctors you put in bikes and some stickers that that shine in the dark... Thanks for the idea!
If you’re color blind, try something like the Strobon LED drone strobe light. Very bright—3 mile visibility. Small, about the size of a penny. Light—only 4 grams. Rechargeable with micro USB cable and battery lasts 2+ hours of continuous use. You’ll never lose another.

Okay, from what I got the drone is probably outside of the village. We are buying a new drone. I think it's safe to assume that I will never find it again.
R.I.P Drony Mc'drone face
2019-2019

I flew my first drone into the river Thames an hour after unboxing it.
Live and learn. Ha

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv