Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Cheap phone for Tello EDU

@lex

Reaction score
Hi, good people. I'm guessing that this has been covered, but I couldn't find the thread. i'm a teacher in australia, and I'm looking for a class set of phones or iPads to control a set of drones with. The ideal would be a set of outmoded phones/pads, as that would be easier than a bunch of second hand ones. The aussie dollar's gone down lately, and the recommended phones are far too expensive for me. What's the cheapest reliable option for me? It doesn't matter if the video or sound is inferior, the main thing is that my students can use them for coding and also for control. The phones will be operated without SIMs.

I'm an iOS person, but seemingly the only software worth having is Android only. Therefore, I either do without, or scour Ebay for a used Android (like a Samsung Galaxy S7). Used, I've seen S6s and S7s go for anywhere between $65-$150 US. The "phone" part doesn't have to work, neither does the SIM card holder. Bluetooth and wifi are all you need. Haven't pulled the trigger yet, but that's probably how I'll go. I'm sure there are places in Australia where you can find used phones/tables for similar savings. Good luck!

I think its more important to find devices that run the programming part well. Manual control is useful to allow the students to understand how tello reacts to input. But its not the main use case, so I think any control app will do.
If you buy Motorola you won't be able to use the Ryze app, video is corrupt on these devices. Or you'd have to budget another $5 for a 3rd party app like mine.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karlyan