Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Controller Help (yes another one)

darkeagle03

Reaction score
I just bought a Tello and am waiting for it to arrive. It's my first drone and I expect I'll want a physical controller for it. I've searched through the threads here and in other places for controller recommendations, however I'm not too keen on paying $50 to control an $80 drone. That would push the cost into the $130-150 range in which I could have just bought a (theoretically) better drone with 1080p video, GPS, and a controller of its own, so I'm looking for a cheaper option.

Ideally, I'd like the controller to be wired so it doesn't interfere with the video feed. I do have a PS3 and XBox 360 (nothing newer though), so was considering getting an OTG cable and phone mounting bracket for one of them, which should come to around $10-15 total. Has anyone tried this? Will the tello app, or any of the 3rd party ones, work with these controllers? I'm familiar with rooting my phone but would prefer not to at this stage. FWIW, I have a Moto G5 Plus on Android 8.1, which I read in one thread sometimes gives problems.

They will work on third party apps TelloFPV and aTello Pilot. They will not work with original Tello app. No rooting required. Have fun flying.

I just bought a Tello and am waiting for it to arrive. It's my first drone and I expect I'll want a physical controller for it. I've searched through the threads here and in other places for controller recommendations, however I'm not too keen on paying $50 to control an $80 drone. That would push the cost into the $130-150 range in which I could have just bought a (theoretically) better drone with 1080p video, GPS, and a controller of its own, so I'm looking for a cheaper option.

Ideally, I'd like the controller to be wired so it doesn't interfere with the video feed. I do have a PS3 and XBox 360 (nothing newer though), so was considering getting an OTG cable and phone mounting bracket for one of them, which should come to around $10-15 total. Has anyone tried this? Will the tello app, or any of the 3rd party ones, work with these controllers? I'm familiar with rooting my phone but would prefer not to at this stage. FWIW, I have a Moto G5 Plus on Android 8.1, which I read in one thread sometimes gives problems.
It seems tellofpv is more clean looking and function better. The dev is pretty active on the fb group and here. I saw PS3 controller working in a vid so I guess worth a try. Stock app does not support otg sadly and lacks in functionality!

Reactions: xcrost
I use a Gamesir T1 controller cabled to my Android with the aTelloPilot app. The Gamesir can be had on Amizon or eBay for about $35.00. It's a great controller for the money. This setup bypasses the need for a Bluetooth connection, resulting in lag-free video.

Reactions: Sage
I haven not been able to use a PS3 controller via OTG with my Moto G5 Plus. Gamepad Tester does not recognize the controller with my Moto G5 Plus.

Only reason maybe not to use those apps is if there is a warrenty issue they may ask for flight logs.i had a issue while using factory tello app. Sent in logs and got confirmed warrenty issue. Although on these apps i may never had the issue

Sent from my LG-SP200 using Tapatalk

Only reason maybe not to use those apps is if there is a warrenty issue they may ask for flight logs.i had a issue while using factory tello app. Sent in logs and got confirmed warrenty issue. Although on these apps i may never had the issue

Sent from my LG-SP200 using Tapatalk
How do u get a log for factory app?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv