Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Covering VPS sensor?

RogueSquadron1

Reaction score
There was a post somewhere about covering up the vps (what is it?) to disable instability due to corrections made by image recognition.

what does vps do?

Is vps required?

There are 2 sensors on the bottom: which is which?

im hoping this will help me fly indoors with less than perfect conditions (Not super bright, plain carpet floors...etc)

so what would happen if you covered the VPS sensors?
Would Tello be unable to move properly?
Im hoping there is sa way for tello to receive and execute instructions i send it in indoor settings where light conditions may not be ideal AND the floor may be monotonous (plain carpet). Current the drone does not perform well under these conditions.

in the absence of VPS Tello does not maintain its position and moves continuously ... but in a closed environment without wind, certainly more controllable. it's very simple, just cover the sensors and run some tests.

If the purpose of the positioning system is to maintain position surely obstructing it will mean......not maintaining position,therefore making flight erratic meaning more controller input,more effort and probably more crashes :D :D:D:D:Dshould be entertaining...for a while

Well, since even a simple thing like taking off and staying stationary in one spot is difficult to do for Tello, i figured covering the sensors would prevent it from "correcting" itself.

Telling the truth, I almost always fly indoors with covered VPS camera - it is because of low light alerts and quite unpredictable behaviour of Tello than. I do not cover VPS infrared sensor that are responsible for altitude hold and are not dependant on ambient light intensity. Flying is very smooth and easy and Tello is much more responsive compering to "full VPS" assistance (even in good light conditions I would say). Of course I wouldn’t “dare” to fly like this outdoors :)

In normal conditions my Tellos (all of them) hover perfectly in place. The worst drifts maybe 15cm per minute even in artificial light, the best doesn't drift at all.
If yours can't do this maybe your Tello has a problem, or you have no recognizable pattern on the floor.

This is a fun trick: Fly over a ceiling fan that is turned off. Tello will lock to a blade.

The wind from Tello causes the fan to move. Tello tracks the fan blade going faster and faster.

There is a lot more fan wind than you get from the Tello alone. Believe this is because momentum is a source of stored energy, and the Tellos only has to overcome the fan's drag.

Also, Tello can hold position up high if there are large areas of contrast in the field-of-view, like a driveway and a lawn.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv