Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Do I really need the Controller for the Tello - Is the Smartphone enough?

cblte

Reaction score
Hi there,
i was trying to find a post about the need for the controller or if the smartphone is just enough to fly it.
My Tello arrives tomorrow and in a local electronic store they have the GameSir T1d (DJI Tello GameSir T1d).

Is it really worth the price to buy this controller? Or do u recommend any other controller?
Since I am going a lot with my bike, less weight is ok, but if the controller makes flying a lot, a lot and a lot easier, I don't mind to carry it around with me. This also depends, which case I might buy.

Thanks.

p.s.: I know this question is a real individual choice, but I would like to hear some opinions.

The smart phone is fine (IMO) to fly the drone. However, I prefer the tactile feedback of a physical controller.

Have not tried all (Bluetooth) controllers but I've repurposed a PS3 controller and was able to use it via Bluetooth or with an OTG cable (using the TelloFPV app).

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: cblte
I initially purchased a T1d but it causes interference plus I was having connection issues and "drifting" of the sticks. I now use the T1s via OTG (Tello FPV app) and it works perfectly. I would say it is much easier than using smartphone for control.

Reactions: cblte
Unfortunately I do not own an Android device. iOS user for a long time. Maybe I will just get an old S6 or for this, if I find one. Beside that, so you really recommend a dedicated controller.

The T1s costs almost double the price compared to the T1d. I think, I will just stick around with the Smartphone for now.
Don,t know, but does a PS3 Controller works? I just re-read your post and saw, that you have used a PS3 controller. Unfortunately, I do not own an android device to test the FPV app. It looks amazing though.

Last edited:
I initially purchased a T1d but it causes interference plus I was having connection issues and "drifting" of the sticks. I now use the T1s via OTG (Tello FPV app) and it works perfectly. I would say it is much easier than using smartphone for control.
When have u tested it the last time? I mean, I do have a no name usb wifi repeater, will test it, but if it is long time ago, then hopefully, this has been solved.

I have been using Tello with Gamesir T1d and have enjoyed it a lot. The experience of flying with the control is much better than with just the smartphone. And as I like to fly FPV does not have the possibility to fly without control.

Hi there,
i was trying to find a post about the need for the controller or if the smartphone is just enough to fly it.
My Tello arrives tomorrow and in a local electronic store they have the GameSir T1d (DJI Tello GameSir T1d).

Is it really worth the price to buy this controller? Or do u recommend any other controller?
Since I am going a lot with my bike, less weight is ok, but if the controller makes flying a lot, a lot and a lot easier, I don't mind to carry it around with me. This also depends, which case I might buy.

Thanks.

p.s.: I know this question is a real individual choice, but I would like to hear some opinions.
I wouldn't get the T1d. I would get the T1s and connect it with otg. Much better, in my opinion, and less interference. If you're serious about Tello and flying, also consider a wifi range extender. If you're going to stay with the phone connection, then do consider the wifi extender for outdoors. Good luck and have fun!

Reactions: xcrost
Ok I think I have to mention, that I am iOS iPhone user. So no OTG here. unfortunately.

Best bet is to buy a cheap Android (5.0+) and use TelloFPV and spend the money ~$30 on a T1s. Extender is a MUST! IMO well worth the small investment if you really want to have a blast with your Tello. T1d with IOS is better than nothing though.

Ios does not suffer that much from the bt interference problem. So t1d ISS not a real issue, but keep in mind it's useless for anything else. There are other controllers that work with any phone and can be used with games as well

If it's still relevant i received my T1D earlier this week after many months of consideration.
I do still use and think the Tello app is also great, but personally i now think flying with the controller is so much better.
I use an Iphone 6s+ running ios 12.4 and have not had any connectivity issues, or any drastic video issues so far.It maybe my imagination but i also seem to get a slightly better range and wi fi singnal when not using my repeater, but in fairness i don't really push it that far when flying at home.

Reactions: xcrost

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv