Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

'error Not joystick' when calling any commands (Tello with Python using DjiTelloPy)

pzmn

Reaction score
Hello fellow pilots,

I want to program some AI software on my Tello, but even simple commands doesn't seem to work. I'm using DjiTelloPy package on Python 3.7.

Using example code:
Python:
from djitellopy import Tello

tello = Tello()

tello.connect()
tello.takeoff()

tello.move_left(100)
tello.rotate_counter_clockwise(90)
tello.move_forward(100)

tello.land()

That's my output:
Code:
Send command: command
Response: b'ok'
Send command: takeoff
Timeout exceed on command takeoff
Command takeoff was unsuccessful. Message: False
Send command: left 100
Timeout exceed on command left 100
Command left 100 was unsuccessful. Message: False
Send command: ccw 90
Response: b'error Not joystick'
Command ccw 90 was unsuccessful. Message: error Not joystick
Send command: forward 100
Send command: land
Response: b'error Auto land'
Command land was unsuccessful. Message: error Auto land

I've tested the connection from two computers and both fail to control the drone. Flying with Tello App works fine, though. Any advice how to resolve this?

I have never tried it but don't you have to wait between commands so the previous one finishes before the next one can be accepted? Isn't there some kind of command complete response from the Tello?

Hello fellow pilots,

I want to program some AI software on my Tello, but even simple commands doesn't seem to work. I'm using DjiTelloPy package on Python 3.7.

Using example code:
Python:

tello = Tello()

tello.connect()
tello.takeoff()

tello.move_left(100)
tello.move_forward(100)

tello.land()

That's my output:
Code:

I've tested the connection from two computers and both fail to control the drone. Flying with Tello App works fine, though. Any advice how to resolve this?
I am testing library
Hello fellow pilots,

Using example code:
Python:

tello = Tello()

tello.connect()
tello.takeoff()

tello.move_left(100)
tello.move_forward(100)

tello.land()

That's my output:
Code:

I've tested the connection from two computers and both fail to control the drone. Flying with Tello App works fine, though. Any advice how to resolve tIhis?
I am testing djitellopy on python 3.7using WingIde personal and this problem was solved using a time.sleep (any_seconds) in this way:
import time

t = Tello()
t.connect()
time.sleep(3)

t.takeoff()
time.sleep(3)

t.land()
time.sleep(3)

It works but this anoying message still appears:
Timeout exceed on command land
Command land was unsuccessful. Message: False

I will try changing time values.

Did you find a way to override this problem? If I you want to program an A.I for flying the drone I can't wait more than 1 second for everytime i want to send a command. After all, in the phone app we can move forward and look to the right but if we program the drone we can only do one at a time because of the not joystick...

Did anyone find a way to override it?

I had the same problems. I solved it reseting the drone:

Long press Tello for 5 seconds while Tello is on, and the indicator light will turn off and then flash yellow. When the indicator light shows a flashing yellow light, the Wi-Fi SSID and password will be reset to the factory settings, and there is no password by default.

Hello fellow pilots,

Using example code:
Python:

tello = Tello()

tello.connect()
tello.takeoff()

tello.move_left(100)
tello.move_forward(100)

tello.land()

That's my output:
Code:

Hi , i have the same problem can you tell me how you solved it ?? please

hi, I am having an error in python code in video capturing. Anyone who can help. The tello light turns green but it does not show anything on screen.
OpenCV(4.5.2) C:\Users\runneradmin\AppData\Local\Temp\pip-req-build-1bq9o88m\opencv\modules\imgproc\src\resize.cpp:4051: error: (-215:Assertion failed) !ssize.empty() in function 'cv::resize'

hi, I am having an error in python code in video capturing. Anyone who can help. The tello light turns green but it does not show anything on screen.
OpenCV(4.5.2) C:\Users\runneradmin\AppData\Local\Temp\pip-req-build-1bq9o88m\opencv\modules\imgproc\src\resize.cpp:4051: error: (-215:Assertion failed) !ssize.empty() in function 'cv::resize'
Hey Zar, the error that you see is because of an empty frame. Most probably because of the way you are reading tello's frame.

To read tello's frame:

tello = Tello()
while True:
frameObject = tello.get_frame_read()
cv2.imshow("preview", frameObject.frame)
cv2.waitKey(1)

If you need any help, you can checkout my ongoing hobby project : MithilanchalRobotics/All_Things_Tello

Also, after connecting to the Tello wifi, in my tello edu it turns solid pink, slow flashing pink and then fast flashing pink. Not sure if light signals are same in EDU version.

Last edited:
look here:

It happens when you issue commands too fast and Tello is not ready for the next command.

Your problem seems to resemble this issue on DJITelloPY Github repo. According to the maintainer's responses, you should try updating your djitellopy library or try installing djitellopy2 library.
For your easy reference:
1. pip uninstall djitellopy
2. pip install https://github.com/damiafuentes/DJITelloPy/archive/master.zip

This will install the latest version of the djitellopy library.
Hope this helps.

I've made a software using Python, JS and the DJITelloPy Library, for Tello drone. It enhances your drone's ability by adding on some of the most sought AI features, like Object Detection, Human Pose Estimation and Voice Commands, to your Tello Drone. You can check it out at www.aidronesoftware.com.
You can download the software for free (limited offer) using this LINK, after signing up.

Thank you.

Python:
Code:

tello = Tello()

Long press Tello for 5 seconds while Tello is on, and the indicator light will turn off and then flash yellow. When the indicator light shows a flashing yellow light, the Wi-Fi SSID and password will be reset to the factory settings, and there is no password by default.
did you know you are amazing?

u solved my problem. thx

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karlyan