Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Feeding circuits from Tello micro-usb port (SOLVED)

raulvolador

Reaction score
Hello,

Help needed. I can`t get current from my Tello micro-usb port.

I'm trying a mod into my Tello, but I'm not able to feed circuits using Tello micro-usb port. I read lot of successfull projects using Tello micro-usb, for sure I'm doing something bad. Let me explain:

First, I buy a Charging USB to micro-usb cable.
Then, I cut cable, throwing away USB piece and taking micro-usb piece.
It's a data cable, only two wires inside: red (+) and black (-). I peel both of them
Micro-usb inserted into Tello's socket but 0.0 voltage measured between wires. I can't feed anything.

As you can see into photo below I tried two different charging cables unsuccesfully

Wha's the problem ? Can you help me ?

Raul.

EDITED: ISSUE SOLVED USING AN OTG CABLE. USB STANDARD CABLE DIDN'T WORK.

tello microusb.jpg

Last edited:
I think you could just ground the yellow and connect the positive it should work.

USB cable I am using it's only made of two wires (it's a charging cable). Thats the reason I have to bought another OTG cable.
Get a USB to micro USB OTG cable or dongle. Cut it down and expose the wires using the micro USB end. You only need the red and black wires to provide the power. It is the connection between pins 4 (sense) and 5 (black/gnd) that makes it OTG and allows power out from the drone.

SOLVED

I followed your advices using an OTG cable adapter. IT WORKS. I can get electric current from Tello´s micro-USB port.

It's clear Tello check ground+sense wires to know something is connected into USB port and start feeding.

Now I can continue my project. Thanks a lot everyone helping me. I learned a lot about USB OTG.

Raul.

try the little adapters easy to solder to, just push down and they expose the pins. like i did in myy vid.

Reactions: raulvolador
try the little adapters easy to solder to, just push down and they expose the pins. like i did in myy vid.

I appreciate your suggestion but I won't do that way. Let my explain why: Long time ago I realized it's not worth soldering connectors by myself. It's much easier buying finished cables with connector you want and cut them to the length you need. Then, you just have to strip cutted wires and solder them where you want.

That way you will get a professional and durable conector finish, almost impossible to get otherwise.

Thank you anyway.

Raul.

Last edited:
Reactions: Customerx

I'm very interested into your mod results. Did you performed any comparative range test with and without mod ?

In fact, I'm going to follow your steps performing same mod into my Tello. I like it because not need modifying Tello at all, therefore it's a non-destructive and plug&play mod ;)

Raul.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv