Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Firmware update for Tello, and I cannot update

Reaction score
I am new to this drone and this forum. I have sent my drone in twice for repairs, and the ryze technical department has had it longer than I have.
I have a new firmware update that keeps coming across my samsung 8 active phone, and when I try to download it, it states to download with my wifi at home, and so I go in, download it, but the firmware update continues to appear when I turn the tello wifi back on, and I have to start over again.
It stays on the screen of my phone and never updates! Any replies or input would be very much appreciated.
I just received my new T1d controller yesterday, and THAT was another crisis! I believe it needs to be trimmed with the new controller, as it is n ot \stable, but I can deal with that later..........

Try using your cellular data plan instead of your home WiFi network to do the update. I tried multiple times using my WiFi network and was getting nowhere. On a hunch I switched over to my cellular service provider’s LTE network and it worked immediately. It took all of a couple of minutes at most.

So you think I should go to data, instead of wifi? Is that what you are saying? I will give it a try.
I chatted with a Tello tech person last night, and they said that it is not doable for my samsung, and for apple only. That ticked me off, so I will try what you say later on after getting home.

That’s what I did, almost as a last resort since all my attempts to download the update failed. When I went the LTE (4G) route, the update downloaded immediately. I should have mentioned earlier that I used an old iPhone 6 for this. Good luck this evening!

I tried this, and to no avail, it did not download. I tried numerous times to download......
I tried also to calibrate the drone, and when trying to run it, it was erratic. This is the 3rd time I have had this happen. This drone will now be sent back for the 3rd repair, unless someone on here might have experienced the same issues.
The repair has had the drone longer than I have owned it, and I am starting to think it is a waste of time.

Same happened to me, after unboxing and trying to get started. After some internet researching, I put a fully charged battery inside the drone and it worked.
Edit: Sorry, I maybe read between the lines. In my case the firmware downloaded, but when connecting to the drone, keeps updating over and over.

Last edited:
I’m very sorry to hear that the solution that worked for me didn’t solve your problem. The only “last ditch” idea I have is, if you have a friend or relative who owns an iPhone, to use their iPhone to attempt the firmware update.

On the net I found this info ... I hope they can be useful.

Fix DJI Tello firmware update problem
If even your DJI Tello's Android app does not allow you to download the updated firmware for the drone and always goes wrong for no apparent reason, simply:

uninstall the DJI Tello app from Android
download an older version of the DJI Tello app from Tello update version history for Android - APK Download (I recommend version 1.1.2 )
manually install this "old" version of the DJI Tello app
Once this is done, you will be able to correctly update the firmware of the DJI Tello without problems
when the update is complete, open the Play Store and update the DJI Tello app to the latest version available.
Done!

On the net I found this info ... I hope they can be useful.

Fix DJI Tello firmware update problem
If even your DJI Tello's Android app does not allow you to download the updated firmware for the drone and always goes wrong for no apparent reason, simply:

uninstall the DJI Tello app from Android
download an older version of the DJI Tello app from Tello update version history for Android - APK Download (I recommend version 1.1.2 )
manually install this "old" version of the DJI Tello app
Once this is done, you will be able to correctly update the firmware of the DJI Tello without problems
when the update is complete, open the Play Store and update the DJI Tello app to the latest version available.
Done!

Won't installing a year old version (V1.1.2) to the phone affect communicating with the Tello? Will it be able to even connect if the versions are mismatched?

It just says that the previous version, only serves to update, then update the app from the Play Store to the latest version. (After updating Tello's FW with V1.1.2)
I can not say whether it works or not, because I've never tried this system.

I sent it back off for "repairs."
This is probably the last time I am wasting my time. Shipping is $13 times 3 times, and that is not free!
I might resort to a sledge hammer if it continues, and write this off as a bad experience, and waste of time!

This is probably the last time I am wasting my time. Shipping is $13 times 3 times, and that is not free!
I might resort to a sledge hammer if it continues, and write this off as a bad experience, and waste of time!
I don't know if you tried this, but this is how I've done it on Android. First I open the Tello app and go to settings, firmware and download the firmware. Once it has finished, I turn on wifi (without closing the app) and connect the Tello. Once connected, I hit update firmware again, and since it's already downloaded, it updates.

If you have tried this and still does not work for you. I'll lend you the sledge hammer.

I have tried this. I have gone through to where it actual appears to download, and then it says connect to drone. I go through the connecting to the drone, and it gets done, and says, a firmware update available..............
Scratching my head afterwards, and go through this insanity 3-4 times day after day, as it will not upload.
I have deleted the app, reloaded the app, and the same problem occurs.
So, next I tried to calibrate the drone by taking the propellers off and going through that process. This is due to the drone not turning left on the axis when it is in the air. It is very slow. For the second time, i have tried to calibrate it, and upon completion, the drone goes spastic, erratic, and flies at super fast power, flipping over on the left side. Even when I hold it, it goes crazy.
This is the reason I send it back for repairs. Of course they want a video, and I tell them no, I am not going to provide that.
It seems like it is some kind of glitch in the system with the software.

you should not be paying for shipping for warranty sercice. they sent me a label to print but it was ups ground and it takes around 7 days each way.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv