Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Flight control lag for T1D controller

Chrislaf

Reaction score
I control my Tello with an iPhone XR, Gamesir T1D controller and Xiaomi WiFi extender. Lately, I have been having severe control issues with the T1D controller where movement on the sticks takes a few seconds to register making controlling the Tello with the controller unusable. The video feed is also severely delayed as well. Control with the phone is fine as is the video feed. All of the bluetooth devices that I have are not near the controller and are disconnected from the phone. I have been using this setup since I got the Tello and up until now everything has been fine and control with the controller worked perfectly. I'm not sure what is going on, so any ideas anyone has are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

@Chrislaf

Happens flying indoors and out? Sounds like overall interference as Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, microwaves, cordless mice, wireless routers/APs, etc. are all on the same ISM (2.4Ghz) band.

Any recent changes/introduction in the environment with these devices?

XR is in Airplane mode (with the exception of Bluetooth and Wi-FI)?
Eliminating cellular transmission, that is.

One thing you can try is turning on the Tello first as it seeks the least congested wireless channel before firing up the extender.

@Chrislaf

Happens flying indoors and out? Sounds like overall interference as Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, microwaves, cordless mice, wireless routers/APs, etc. are all on the same ISM (2.4Ghz) band.

Any recent changes/introduction in the environment with these devices?

XR is in Airplane mode (with the exception of Bluetooth and Wi-FI)?
Eliminating cellular transmission, that is.

One thing you can try is turning on the Tello first as it seeks the least congested wireless channel before firing up the extender.
Thanks for your reply. I was flying indoors but it also happened outdoors a while back. I did try my phone in Airplane mode yesterday (bluetooth and wifi on) but it didn't seem to make a difference. I'll try your tip about turning on the Tello first then the extender and see if that helps.

Chris

Thanks for your reply. I was flying indoors but it also happened outdoors a while back. I did try my phone in Airplane mode yesterday (bluetooth and wifi on) but it didn't seem to make a difference. I'll try your tip about turning on the Tello first then the extender and see if that helps.

Chris
Ran another indoor flight just now with Airplane mode on (wifi and Bluetooth on) and with Tello on before WiFi repeater. Initially the T1D was not responsive for the first couple of minutes of the flight then all of a sudden it became responsive again and was responsive for the remainder of the flight. I will keep testing this but something must be interfering with the T1D - just have to find the source as it was never like this before.

Chris

Also try positioning the extender/repeater between you (controller, actually) and the Tello on an elevated platform, if you haven't already.
Did have the extender on the table and Tello on floor so next time I will do the opposite and see what happens.

Thanks for all your help. I appreciate it.

Chris

NP. Here to help.

Perhaps a refresh/update of the Bluetooth drivers on the XR? Not an iOS user but the little green robot guy OS.

Clear T1d/stock Ryze app Bluetooth cache/reinstall app? Paging Dr. @umanbean

I wouldn't say gone bad, but maybe just need re-linking to tello? Or picking up some intermittent interference from somewhere?
Thanks, I'll do some more testing and see if I can narrow down the problem. On one of my flights yesterday, I did get a brief message about interference.

Chris

Gamesir T1D is **** since to find it you have to use GPS and Bluetooth, and those 2 things create great interference with WI-FI, try fly without gamepad and you will notice a difference that you will not have any delay and no interference and if you have it it is very little

Gamesir T1D is **** since to find it you have to use GPS and Bluetooth, and those 2 things create great interference with WI-FI, try fly without gamepad and you will notice a difference that you will not have any delay and no interference and if you have it it is very little
Thanks for your reply. I have found the T1D to be a good controller. It has only been recently where I had some problems. It does use Bluetooth but not GPS as the Tello doesn’t have GPS. I am confident once I figure out the source of interference, it will work properly.

Chris

Still troubleshooting the flight control lag I'm having with my Tello, T1D and Xiaomi Extender. Haven't been flying the Tello that much lately but ran a few flights today in the house as it has been windy/rainy all week long.

I think it is some kind of interference of some sort probably WiFi because when I try without the Xiaomi extender there is no lag on the T1D or just by using the phone. I will try to do some testing out in a field area away from the neighbourhood so that I can figure out if it is interference from all the WiFi networks in people's houses. May be a few days though as the weather is calling for more wind, rain and snow for the next week or so. I'll update the thread when I figure it all out.

Chris

Not recently, but that’s how I flew it before getting the extender almost a year ago. Next time I fly I’ll try that. Are you thinking the extender has gone bad?

Chris

How is the Xiaomi powered?
Is getting the power it needs?

How is the Xiaomi powered?
Is getting the power it needs?
That’s a good question. I have been using a small USB power bank that is a few years old. Maybe it is near the end of its life. I’ll try with my Goal Zero one the next time I fly my Tello.

Chris

Xiaomi sips mA in current. Doesn't require a large power bank.

Which Goal Zero do you have? Running a Sherpa 100AC for my other devices.

Xiaomi sips mA in current. Doesn't require a large power bank.

Which Goal Zero do you have? Running a Sherpa 100AC for my other devices.
I have an older Sherpa 100 with the add on 3 prong plug outlet along with a couple of solar panels I use when camping and off the grid.

Chris

Reactions: ZWActual

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv