Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Flying out of cell service

UrbexFlyer

Reaction score
Apologies if this has been asked before. Scrolled through and didn't see it.

Some of the places I intend to fly will be out of my cell service area (in the mountains, out of the country, etc). I've gotten the impression that the Tello generates its own wifi signal to connect to the app. Is this true? Will this work even when I don't have cell signal?

True. The Tello creates its own wireless "hot spot" which the phone connects to. A wireless tablet (non LTE device) can also be used to control the Tello. Cell service is not required (unless a particular app is checking license validation).

True. The Tello creates its own wireless "hot spot" which the phone connects to. A wireless tablet (non LTE device) can also be used to control the Tello. Cell service is not required (unless a particular app is checking license validation).
That particular app stops doing this license validation after 2 days :)

@volate!lo is referring to the TelloFPV app that he developed.

The app does a licensing check for cancellation/refund purposes and is final after the 3rd day. Outbound validation checks should cease after that and should not require wireless/cell service to operate the app.

Full version:

Demo version:

Unfortunately anti piracy measures are a must these days. :-(

See aTelloPilot: The day he posted his last update the APK was already circulating in global whatsapp groups. Guess what, the dev is gone and the project orphaned.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv