Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Follow Me Android App, Beta testers needed for my Tello Vision 1D

I have downloaded the app on my tablet and will be testing it later today. When I opened the app on my tablet, because the screen is big, the label that says ‘txt Tello —->’ that I’m assuming is supposed to point to the text SDK input was the other side of the screen to the text input. Maybe change where the label is when the screen is larger and make it relative to the text input instead of the left edge of the screen

Reactions: pgminin
I have downloaded the app on my tablet and will be testing it later today. When I opened the app on my tablet, because the screen is big, the label that says ‘txt Tello —->’ that I’m assuming is supposed to point to the text SDK input was the other side of the screen to the text input. Maybe change where the label is when the screen is larger and make it relative to the text input instead of the left edge of the screen

Thanks!
If you can send me a screenshot, it would help me a lot.

Use a private message or an email [email protected]

Last edited:
Tello Vision 1D Updated! (Beta Rel 1.1)
Get it here:

Thanks to your suggestions I worked a lot to improve my little computer vision Android App for Tello.

Main improvement:
1) Users can select and change the Live Video Preview Frame Rate. Click on the red "fps=10" spinner and try other values. Just do this while video preview is off otherwise the selection spinner is disabled. See the screenshot:
Screenshot_20200422-011902.png

This is just a targeted frame rate and phone hardware may not be able to reach it properly. You will find a skipped frames counter (not all are counted but many!) to understand if your setting is too high.
For now, the control loop is targeted at 10 fps, so if your Live Preview is faster you don't really get a faster Tello control, and if your Live Preview is slower even the control loop is less than 10 fps.
Video recording is targeted at 30 fps as always.

Other improvements:

Made "Tello Vision 1D" more robust versus pause or other external events:
2) Screen Inactivity Timeout Disabled. The screen must stay always active.
3) Properly closing video recording if the screen is turned off or Android home/back buttons are pressed. Can't manage abrupt Tello disconnection yet

4) App execution is stopped if the screen is turned off or Android home/back buttons are pressed. Restart a fresh execution

Generated video/picture improvement:
5) Automatic Android gallery refresh when new JPEG and MP4 are generated. They must appear in Pictures (jpeg) and Download (mp4) folders.

Other improvements
6) Increased Tello Search Speed. This is the fixed rotational speed when nobody is detected
7) Made some minor UI adjustments.

I have still more to do, so please keep testing and suggest improvements here.

Note: testing with the wifi-extender requires that you first connect Tello than you open the app and then press the COMM button.
If the App is launched before Tello is connected you must restart the app canceling it from the paused app list. I must understand why this happens.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Reactions: Woodie_07
Some quick test result..

1) still problems with Gallery.. video now appears but with 0:00 lenght.. other the this they works
2) tested 30fps and...apparently it keeps it
3) video preview not always starts.. have to insist couple of times to see video preview
4) command to go up/down not always works..
5) using gain+ I hear some strange noise from motors.. like continuous speed change (it seems to vibrate too)
6) unstable video preview..

It's all for now

Inviato dal mio ZFlip utilizzando Tapatalk

New Update:

Improved Control Loop with Derivative Action
Can move up/down in detection mode now
Vertical speed increased a bit
UI shows angular error and speed of the targeted person

Thanks.. will try it asap
For now Google Play still reports the previous version... need to wait a little bit.
Bye

Inviato dal mio ZFlip utilizzando Tapatalk

Escribo desde Perú, probé la app y me resultó bastante bien, tengo mi móvil HUAWEI P10, le faltaría la opción del desplazamiento para seguimiento del objeto, note que solo gira el dron buscando al objetivo, me pregunto si su creador Pigminin puede aplicar este concepto para una app para el distanciamiento social entre personas por esra pandemia, sería una gran aplicación

Tello Vision 1D Updated:

Added STATS button to show Basic Flight Computer Vision Statistics like in this screenshot:

Screenshot_20200516-165206.png:

Improved Live Preview and Control Loop Frame Rate Selection
Added Selfie button with 3 seconds delay and a confirmation beep.

Last edited:
Escribo desde Perú, probé la app y me resultó bastante bien, tengo mi móvil HUAWEI P10, le faltaría la opción del desplazamiento para seguimiento del objeto, note que solo gira el dron buscando al objetivo, me pregunto si su creador Pigminin puede aplicar este concepto para una app para el distanciamiento social entre personas por esra pandemia, sería una gran aplicación

I'm happy to hear you from Perù, I hope you are doing well in those hard days for all.
About Apps for social distances ... they are not so easy to do!
As an example, a friend of mine has done an app to schedule people shopping in local markets so to reduce queues but it failed because not enough people used it. Sadly it was a great job but with zero results!

Tello Vision 1D updated:

Added:
2D Follow Me
Follow Me Distance Setting
Safety Warning

Screenshot_20200619-131747.png

Now Tello can Follow a person maintaining constant its altitude.
It is always in the same plane above the ground, so it's a "2D Follow Me".
You can set the Following distance from 3 to 6 meters, so obviously this is for outdoor use only.

Hello. I just downloaded your app from Google Play. I noticed that the 2D Follow Me is not there. I looked back on Google Play and it shows the latest update as May 21, 2020, not June 18. Any idea why? My phone is not very powerful, but it is at Android 7.1.1. I tried the app and it does 1D tracking slowly, probably because of my phone. Thanks for any info.

Hello. I just downloaded your app from Google Play. I noticed that the 2D Follow Me is not there. I looked back on Google Play and it shows the latest update as May 21, 2020, not June 18. Any idea why? My phone is not very powerful, but it is at Android 7.1.1. I tried the app and it does 1D tracking slowly, probably because of my phone. Thanks for any info.

Hi! It seems you are downloading the old beta and not the last production release. Are you a beta tester? If yes:
1. uninstall the app
2. find it in google play and exit the beta testing program
3. install the app again
4. please let me know if it works (it's my first app and I must learn a lot about google play)

If you are not a beta tester ... I would try to update the app like this:
1. in google play menù select "my apps and my games"
2. choose the "installed" app
3. look for Tello Vision 1D
4. if your installation needs an update on the right you will find "update"
5. please let me know if it works

About your experience with a slow 1D Tracking ... I don't expect 2D Follow Me will be better or even safe to use.
Maybe a wise choice would be to avoid "Follow Me" on an old smartphone. Try outdoor, alone, and in the absence of obstacles if you really want it!

Hi! It seems you are downloading the old beta and not the last production release. Are you a beta tester? If yes:
1. uninstall the app
2. find it in google play and exit the beta testing program
3. install the app again
4. please let me know if it works (it's my first app and I must learn a lot about google play)

If you are not a beta tester ... I would try to update the app like this:
1. in google play menù select "my apps and my games"
2. choose the "installed" app
3. look for Tello Vision 1D
4. if your installation needs an update on the right you will find "update"
5. please let me know if it works

About your experience with a slow 1D Tracking ... I don't expect 2D Follow Me will be better or even safe to use.
Maybe a wise choice would be to avoid "Follow Me" on an old smartphone. Try outdoor, alone, and in the absence of obstacles if you really want it!
Thanks for the quick response. I am not a beta tester. I tried your suggestion (not a beta tester) and on the right it has "Open", not "Update". I didn't think that it would work very good and possibly not at all. I just wanted to give it a try. Thanks for your help and good luck with your app, it looks like it will be great.

Thanks for the quick response. I am not a beta tester. I tried your suggestion (not a beta tester) and on the right it has "Open", not "Update". I didn't think that it would work very good and possibly not at all. I just wanted to give it a try. Thanks for your help and good luck with your app, it looks like it will be great.

I'm sorry, now I'm busy but I'll investigate this problem as soon as possible ....

Reactions: Lou M

Hi, I tried a fresh installation of "Tello Vision 1D" on my oldest smartphone with Android 7.1.2 and I got the latest version correctly. Indeed all my work is compatible with android 7.1 (in other words with API level 25) and I cannot reproduce what is happening to you.
If someone else has the same problem (and a solution!) please step in. Your help would be welcome!

Hi, I tried a fresh installation of "Tello Vision 1D" on my oldest smartphone with Android 7.1.2 and I got the latest version correctly. Indeed all my work is compatible with android 7.1 (in other words with API level 25) and I cannot reproduce what is happening to you.
If someone else has the same problem (and a solution!) please step in. Your help would be welcome!
Thank you for that info. I uninstalled Tello Vision 1D and was going to try a fresh install, but noticed the version is still May 21. Something strange with my phone? I'd be interested if someone else runs into this. This is not a big deal, because my phone doesn't seem powerful enough for it. Thank you for your time and effort.

try to clear app data & cache of the Google Play Store app
Thanks for that suggestion. I cleared app data & cache, but the version is still May 21. I also tried it on my wife's phone, which unfortunately, is the same as mine (Moto E4). Also version May 21. Is it the phone? I'm going to see if anyone that I know can check to see what version their phone comes up with.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
97bugsinthecode