Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Frequent Overheating After Crash

Gil

Reaction score
I accidentally crashed my tello while flying about 8m high and it dropped on concrete surface. After then, i frequently receive an error of overheating.

Could this be a hardware problem? Is there a way to fix it?

Overheating inflight would not be normal. Overheating after some time sitting on the ground is normal.

Overheating inflight would not be normal. Overheating after some time sitting on the ground is normal.
Thank you for your response.

On my case however, when I fly the tello the first time, everything is ok. But after i land it, It will no longer take off again due to overheating error. Unlike before where I can fly the tello a lot of times until I fully drained all three batteries.

Do you see a reduction in flight time?
Would mean that the motors (or some of them) became more sluggish and draw a higher current.

Ine of our problems are, we are still calling the Tello, the Tello/ There are at least 5 Tellos on the market more or less the same structure. The Robomaster Tello Talent is now being produced by DJI, with poor documentation in English from China, Books (expensive in USA, and in Chinese language) are written in Simplified Chinese. Instructional videos are on the Chinese version of Youtube. It is good to look for solution on the Chinese. You seem to imply the problem is the same but happens quicker. Overheating prior to takeoff. You can put it on a laptop cooler platform, etc. Also, a Chinese teacher competition was to make a 3D takeoff platform. Also, some Chinese software allows you supposedly cool the battery by turning the motors on while sitting on floor prior to takeoff. We have other Chinese swam drones with similar poor support in English. Part of this new world order. i hope this may help some.

I agree with Dan, that there is a lot of documentation and instructional videos in Chinese but I disagree regarding the amount of available documentation in English. The SDK docs are in English, the large amount of programming libraries are avialable in English, Mind+ is available in English. The Apps (Tello, Tello EDU) are available in english and they are pretty self explanatory.

Regarding motor cooling, there is a scratch programming block in Tello EDU to start and stop motors slowly spinning, there is also a SDK command and last-but-not.least, you can even send it to the drone simply using the sticks with a "CSC" command while the drone is sitting on the ground.
It also works with the virtual sticks of the smartphone app.
Screen-Shot-2019-04-22-at-7.28.21-AM.png

Reactions: Gil
...but I think ,the thread opener's drone does not have the "electronic overheating" problem while sitting on the ground.

Do you see a reduction in flight time?
Would mean that the motors (or some of them) became more sluggish and draw a higher current.
Hi Hacky,

I apologize for this late reply. I just got busy with work.
Anyway, I was able to test my tello and found no problems with its flight time and the motors are fine as well since the propellers spins freely when I flick them.

I still have the overheating error after I land the tello.

What I do now is that every time I fly the tello, I will not let it land until I drain its battery. When I land it, I turn it off and let it cool down for a minute and replace a new battery and fly it again.

It would have been better though if I don't have this overheating error after every landing so I can continuously enjoy using it and not hesitate landing it every time I want to.

The internal resistance of the battery raises pretty strong at the end of the discharge cycle. This means, in that phase the battery (and with it the surrounding parts) heats up most.

If you stop the flight a bit earlier (let's say at 25 - 20% remaining capacity), the drone will not heat up as much and go cooler into the next battery cycle.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv