Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

HELP PLEASE connecting Xiaomi Mi WiFi Range Extender 2

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm new to flying drones, so recently bought a Tello with boost kit extra batteries etc.

As I had read about the huge benefits that everyone has with the Xiaomi Mi 2 wifi range extender, I decided to buy one of these at the same time.

And since I got the Tello, I have simply been unable to connect the range extender. On the Xiaomi Home app, it says "Device Connected" and ALWAYS fails on the next step, "Failed to send message".

On the range extender, the yellow light continues to flash and it has never changed to a blue solid light.

Help! What am I doing wrong? This is useless if I can't connect it. It wouldn't even make a good paperweight; it's too light!

I'm using Gamesir T1d controller with Vollate!lo's TelloFPV app. See mobile screenshot below.

Screenshot_20200814-151243.png

try see the videos posted at the bottom of the page.

Hi Mate.
This device works great, also you can add the signal booster to increase the signal to have more stable the video.
Attach how to link it and the antenna booster. Regards

Attachments

• 537B7688-FEB4-40AE-8244-0B98B0244B8E.png
    537B7688-FEB4-40AE-8244-0B98B0244B8E.png
    4.2 MB · Views: 78
  • A8EAC8C7-9C17-458E-9838-FDF0F5713D67.png
    A8EAC8C7-9C17-458E-9838-FDF0F5713D67.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 79
  • AAB68CC4-6C48-40FC-9378-1515DE2C47DA.jpeg
    AAB68CC4-6C48-40FC-9378-1515DE2C47DA.jpeg
    129.3 KB · Views: 64
Hello everyone. I'm new to flying drones, so recently bought a Tello with boost kit extra batteries etc.

As I had read about the huge benefits that everyone has with the Xiaomi Mi 2 wifi range extender, I decided to buy one of these at the same time.

And since I got the Tello, I have simply been unable to connect the range extender. On the Xiaomi Home app, it says "Device Connected" and ALWAYS fails on the next step, "Failed to send message".

On the range extender, the yellow light continues to flash and it has never changed to a blue solid light.

Help! What am I doing wrong? This is useless if I can't connect it. It wouldn't even make a good paperweight; it's too light!

I'm using Gamesir T1d controller with Vollate!lo's TelloFPV app. See mobile screenshot below.

View attachment 6422

Here is a simple step by step guide to connect!

Thanks to all who have replied. I've followed all the videos and the step-by-step instructions and I'm still failing miserably. If I had any hair left, I would have pulled it out. I'm so frustrated by this.

I'm one step further on the Xioami Home app. Failing at the "Connecting to Network" step.

Screenshot_20200818-095812~2.png
I'm using the following equipment:

1. Tello drone (I've changed the wi-fi name to just TELLO (instead of TELLO-5B0188 which was its original wi-fi) and I have given it a password).
  2. Xiaomi Mi Wifi Repeater 2
  3. Zagg (IFIG-12) usb power pack (though I realise this bit doesn't matter as long as it powers the wifi repeater)
  4. Motorola Moto G5 phone (Android) with "Xioami Home" app installed.
The setup fails at the "Connecting to Network" stage saying "timed out" and the light on the Mi 2 wifi repeater never changes from flashing yellow. I have never yet seen this turn from flashing yellow to solid blue.

Have I just got a dud wifi repeater, or is there something really simple I'm missing?

Thanks to all who have replied. I've followed all the videos and the step-by-step instructions and I'm still failing miserably. If I had any hair left, I would have pulled it out. I'm so frustrated by this.

I'm one step further on the Xioami Home app. Failing at the "Connecting to Network" step.

View attachment 6441
I'm using the following equipment:

1. Tello drone (I've changed the wi-fi name to just TELLO (instead of TELLO-5B0188 which was its original wi-fi) and I have given it a password).
  2. Xiaomi Mi Wifi Repeater 2
  3. Zagg (IFIG-12) usb power pack (though I realise this bit doesn't matter as long as it powers the wifi repeater)
  4. Motorola Moto G5 phone (Android) with "Xioami Home" app installed.
The setup fails at the "Connecting to Network" stage saying "timed out" and the light on the Mi 2 wifi repeater never changes from flashing yellow. I have never yet seen this turn from flashing yellow to solid blue.

Have I just got a dud wifi repeater, or is there something really simple I'm missing?

Try installing an older version 5.4.60 of the Mi home app and repeat the setup procedure.
I read somewhere that there are problems with the first setup on new versions of the app.
I don't know if there really is this problem, but it costs nothing to try.
files from the previous version.

Reactions: richardbenjamin
Try installing an older version 5.4.60 of the Mi home app and repeat the setup procedure.
I read somewhere that there are problems with the first setup on new versions of the app.
I don't know if there really is this problem, but it costs nothing to try.
files from the previous version.

BINGO! Thank you so much @Flydrone ! I deleted the latest version of the Mi Home app, installed the old version from your apk file (Thank God you still had a copy of it), and I cheered when the little yellow flashing light turned blue!!

So glad I can delete the app off my phone now and not have to go through all that ever again!

Just had a quick play with the Tello connected via the Mi wifi repeater 2 and WOW! What a difference. More responsive further away and the video quality was so much better! Thank you @Flydrone ! Thank you, Thank you!

Reactions: Flydrone
I am really very happy that you have solved the problem.??
I remembered this problem well and fortunately on the internet there are all the Mi Home files but they only say that version 5.4.60 works.

Reactions: richardbenjamin
Hi guys, my repeater is arriving in a couple of days.

Ive installed the apk file. All good, all fine.

Do I need a Xiaomi account or can I use the app without signing up?

Ive tried creating an account using an @gmail.com address and it says its invalid, also the sms never arrives if I try to use my mobile number.

All advice welcome!

For anyone coming back here to find out how to connect their Xiaomi Mi WiFi extender Repeater 2, here is the issue that we forget in order to FIND IT in the app. YOU MUST identify your location as HONG CONG in order for the app to find that device. THEN, you can connect to it again. Why Xiaomi never did fix that location thing is beyond me. I can't imagine how many frustrated users there are because of this and the distrust of the product line having left this mess so long. This extender, repeater, is NOT shown using the USA as a location, only Hong Cong.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv