Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

How do you code the RMTT?

ExcellentBadger

Reaction score
I have the RMTT interfaced with a tello connected to an ultrasonic sensor on the extension board. How would I code this in Python? Do i just use a lidar library with python and code as if im connected to an Arduino? I can't seem to find any libraries for the expansion board. I'm using i2c btw.

We are not experts in this, but we code for many functions, with various block code programs, some have associated python coding. The most most completed is Mind+ from DFROTO. They have an extensive list of block codes to find function commands, also works with Python and C++. There are some good examples and good explanation, for the use of the expansion kit as an Arduino. O hope this helps some.

Attachments

• 1 sample program block.JPG
    1 sample program block.JPG
    215.2 KB · Views: 16
@ExcellentBadger you will need a library for your ultrasonic sensor that can be compiled for ESP32. A general approach can be found here: ESP32 with HC-SR04 Ultrasonic Sensor with Arduino IDE | Random Nerd Tutorials
LiDAR libraries will not help you, totally different technology and interfacing.

DFRobot's Mind+ eco system also contains the URM10 (SR04) ultrasonic sensor and a library supporting this, so I guess you have something like this?

You find a description for programming the RMTT using Mind+ here: RoboMaster TT - MindPlus wiki
The section "Coding manually" contains an example for the URM10 (SR04) sensor.

Look like good info above. here is a good description from mind_. it is short , but contains so good info. The part on the extension is near the bottom. I tried to load it, ut could not. It is a pdf file. you can find it under the mind+ menu listed as RMTT. It will probably be in Chinese, but you can triallate it to English. Also look down a the bottom and find a clickable link to a TEACHER COMPETTION ON PROGRAMMIN G THE RMTT. There are some good samples done there by Chinese teachers. My email is [email protected]. Good luck.

@ExcellentBadger you will need a library for your ultrasonic sensor that can be compiled for ESP32. A general approach can be found here: ESP32 with HC-SR04 Ultrasonic Sensor with Arduino IDE | Random Nerd Tutorials
LiDAR libraries will not help you, totally different technology and interfacing.

DFRobot's Mind+ eco system also contains the URM10 (SR04) ultrasonic sensor and a library supporting this, so I guess you have something like this?

You find a description for programming the RMTT using Mind+ here: RoboMaster TT - MindPlus wiki
The section "Coding manually" contains an example for the URM10 (SR04) sensor.
Oh thank you. So I just code the drone as if it were an Arduino? Also, I'm planning on using a lidar instead, which might cause more problems in coding.

While researching this. I found a Chinese equivalate to Youtube. It is BILIBILI. it has many video in Chinese with good coding instructions. Google does a fear job at translations. Many of these videos are supported by DFROBOT. Mind has a good demo on using a remote control setup to fly the drone. Nothing on lIdar yet. There is some instruction on how's to setup the extension kit for this use with a connect to a computer for uploading. Good luck.

Oh thank you. So I just code the drone as if it were an Arduino? Also, I'm planning on using a lidar instead, which might cause more problems in coding.
To be precise, you do not program the drone - instead you program the (ESP32 based) RMTT expansion module, which sends commands to the Tello via the serial USB connection.

Many C/C++ libraries you find for Arduino can also be compiled to run on ESP32. Typically you only have to adapt the numbers of the GPIO ports. You definitely should work through the MindPlus Wiki that I linked above! This should clarify most of your questions.

Regarding LiDAR: There is no general library for LiDARs. Almost every LiDAR manufacturer has different protocols and also the connection types vary (serial, I2C, SPI etc.). We had this discussion already here: How do I use the RMTT Expansion Kit for a LiDAR?
If you have a library that supports your LiDAR, programming is quite simple - for a single beam LiDAR not much different to what you would do also with the ultrasonic sensor. For measuring small distances, the RMTT module already comes with a ToF distance sensor, so in that case you do not even need any additional sensor.

Last edited:
To be precise, you do not program the drone - instead you program the (ESP32 based) RMTT expansion module, which sends commands to the Tello via the serial USB connection.

Many C/C++ libraries you find for Arduino can also be compiled to run on ESP32. Typically you only have to adapt the numbers of the GPIO ports. You definitely should work through the MindPlus Wiki that I linked above! This should clarify most of your questions.

Regarding LiDAR: There is no general library for LiDARs. Almost every LiDAR manufacturer has different protocols and also the connection types vary (serial, I2C, SPI etc.). We had this discussion already here: How do I use the RMTT Expansion Kit for a LiDAR?
If you have a library that supports your LiDAR, programming is quite simple - for a single beam LiDAR not much different to what you would do also with the ultrasonic sensor. For measuring small distances, the RMTT module already comes with a ToF distance sensor, so in that case you do not even need any additional sensor.
Hi, I got the code down, the problem is with importing libraries. It gives me a tutorial on importing libraries, but it says that I need a config.json file: Mind+软件用户扩展库 - Mind+教程. Also, is there a way that I upload code to the drone without the use of the Mind+ App because my project right now uses image processing and machine learning in a different python file. It would be very difficult to juggle between the mind+ app code and the image processing code. Can I just code in Python as if I were uploading code to an ESP32? I need to use camera data and lidar data in real-time so it would be preferrable if there was no mind+ app in between

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv