Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

How to use the RC command.

Nesquik

Reaction score
Hei,

im trying to fly my Tello using the RC command. The drone is executing the RC command but only for a very short amount of time. When I want to turn the Tello clockwise I can do that if I send the RC command multiple time.
My understanding of the command is that you send it and the drone executes that command until you send the 'stop' or any other command. But how can I achive this behavior?

You can't.
At least I think so (but my knowledge of the SDK is almost nil).

Imagine:
You send "pitch=+100%" and this stays in effect until you send another command. Sadly your program crashes after issuing the command and Tello just keeps going. Doesn't make sense

You can't.
At least I think so (but my knowledge of the SDK is almost nil).

Imagine:
You send "pitch=+100%" and this stays in effect until you send another command. Sadly your program crashes after issuing the command and Tello just keeps going. Doesn't make sense
But that would mean that the command makes no sense.

no.

It means you have to repeatedly send RC for tello to move.

As soon as the constant flow of RC commands stop Tello assumes the program has crashed and hovers in place, waiting for further commands.
Normal failsafe procedure

no.

It means you have to repeatedly send RC for tello to move.

As soon as the constant flow of RC commands stop Tello assumes the program has crashed and hovers in place, waiting for further commands.
Normal failsafe procedure
I tried sending the RC command in a while loop but after 10 seconds my program keeps crashing.

Then you should know why they choose a failsafe design :)
Yeah but when I send the command in a while loop the drone does nothing.

I don't understand why there is no information on how to use that command. Is it working for you?

I don't use the SDK, my knowledge is limited to what I read in the SDK document two years ago.

I guess you can just send the command packets with a few ms interval in between

So after 3 days of talking to the support I found out that my code is correct but my Tello is not bahaving as it should.

try with another drone! Just don't be surprised if it behaves exactly the same way.

Because that failsafe approach is how I would implement such command, and also how it works in the binary Tello protocol. My apps send stick information every 50ms

try with another drone! Just don't be surprised if it behaves exactly the same way.

Because that failsafe approach is how I would implement such command, and also how it works in the binary Tello protocol. My apps send stick information every 50ms
The support says that when you send RC 0 100 0 0 the will fly forward until you send RC 0 0 0 0 for example. So it will keep flying until you send another command.

Contact someone who actually uses the SDK. The developer of TelloVision for example should be a much more reliable source than some underpaid clueless student called "support agent"

Hello,

you may find this very useful :
just skip to the relevant section, but I recommend the whole video. The video stream into OpenCV does not work on my iMac or MacBook well, so I'm using Rpi 4.

When you get the frames from Tello into cv2 a whole world of computer vision possibilities opens for you!!!

The support says that when you send RC 0 100 0 0 the will fly forward until you send RC 0 0 0 0 for example. So it will keep flying until you send another command.
Yes, that is the expected behaviour. I use Python library DJITelloPy to program my drone. The drone, upon receiving a non-zero RC command, will keep moving until it receives RC 0 0 0 0 command.
I guess, you need to troubleshoot your drone or contact support for a replacement.

I've made a software using Python, JS and the DJITelloPy Library, for Tello drone. It enhances your drone's ability by adding on some of the most sought AI features, like Object Detection, Human Pose Estimation and Voice Commands, to your Tello Drone. You can check it out at www.aidronesoftware.com.
You can download the software for free (limited time offer) using this LINK, after signing up.

Thank you.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv