Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

IOS Developers Beware

volate!lo

Reaction score
Just in case you think about developing an IOS app for Tello: Forget it!

You are at the mercy of some clowns doing an app review. They recently started to interpret their review guideline 5.2.1 in a way that the use of an external device automatically implies a copyright infringement if you don't include an explicit authorization:

Guideline 5.2.1 - Legal - Intellectual Property
Your app includes content or features from Tello, or is marketed to control external hardware from Tello, without the necessary authorization. The inclusion of third-party content within your app, whether retrieved from the internet by the app or embedded in the app, is subject to the terms of the Apple Developer Program License Agreement.
Your app and its contents should not infringe upon the rights of another party. In the event your app infringes another party’s rights, you are responsible for any liability to Apple because of a claim.
Next Steps
To resolve this issue, please attach documentary evidence in the App Review Information section in App Store Connect.

Of course the published version of Apple's guideline 5.2.1 does not mention external devices at all. :poop:

Apple insists on this authorization and Ryze ignores requests for authorization. So my nice new app is just a load of useless bits & bytes.

(Yes, there are some apps in the store. Some have been released before they started to apply this modified 5.2.1, and others were simply lucky and their reviewer did not know the guide or did not care)

Last edited:
Just in case you think about developing an IOS app for Tello: Forget it!

You are at the mercy of some clowns doing an app review. They recently started to interpret their review guideline 5.2.1 in a way that the use of an external device automatically implies a copyright infringement if you don't include an explicit authorization:

Guideline 5.2.1 - Legal - Intellectual Property
Your app includes content or features from Tello, or is marketed to control external hardware from Tello, without the necessary authorization. The inclusion of third-party content within your app, whether retrieved from the internet by the app or embedded in the app, is subject to the terms of the Apple Developer Program License Agreement.
Your app and its contents should not infringe upon the rights of another party. In the event your app infringes another party’s rights, you are responsible for any liability to Apple because of a claim.
Next Steps
To resolve this issue, please attach documentary evidence in the App Review Information section in App Store Connect.

Of course Apple's guideline 5.2.1 does not mention external devices at all. :poop:

Apple insists on this authorization and Ryze ignores requests for authorization. So my nice new app is just a load of useless bits & bytes.

(Yes, there are some apps in the store. Some have been released before they started to apply this modified 5.2.1, and others were simply lucky and their reviewer did not know the guide or did not care)

That's terrible!!! Especially us IOS users who looked forward to your software advances!

Reactions: stephanriederer
I will try to re-submit and escalate until they revoke my dev account. I don't have a need for it anyway, because after this experience I am not fancy wasting any more time on IOS.

Volate!lo.
As an iOS user I hope you are eventually successful.
Seems Ryze is the enemy in not giving you an authorization.
COME ON Ryze, give us iOS users a chance to use Volate!lo's awesome application.
Thanks, Steve.

Ryze is unlikely to provide a legally binding authorization to an individual on the other side of the world. Why should they?

That sucks man. You would think the released SDK would be implied authorization.
Well, common sense might lead naive people to believe that a drone that is marketed to be programmable, specifically addresses the educational market and STEM courses, and comes with a published SDK is meant to be programmed and so anyone can program it.

But thats just naive people's wishful thinking. Big company logic says: No authorization letter - no approval!

But beside this I think we have to blame Ryze: They should have included "terms of use" in their SDK documentation, which would be sufficient as authorization.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keri