Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Is there ANY way to unlock the SDK speed cap?

lilhuddyg

Reaction score
I'm doing a project where I will make the Tello EDU catch a ball when tossed one (with a a cup on top and motion capture). My issue is, the SDK's cap of 1m/s is a huge detriment to the area I can feasibly catch in. Is there any way to uncap the speed? I don't know how much hacking of the firmware would be needed, but I'm very motivated to get an answer.

The DJI Flight Controller software contains a list of hundreds of parameters controlling its behavior.
In some drones, there is an "assistant" tool which allows changing them from a PC. In others, there is no tool - but parameters are always present, so they can be set using `og_service_tool`; specifics on how to connect that to the drone vary between platforms (some use USB, others have USB-to-TTL converter and you provide the tool with serial port, and in most you can also use your own USB-to-TTL to solder to proper pads within the drone and send the command there).

The parameters have text names, usually made of words separated by dots, ie. `global.flight.max_velocity` (just an example). In some platforms you do not provide the string directly, but instead its hash is used (the `og_service_tool` computes the hash automatically in such case).

So since this is integral part of DJI FC implementation, Tello must have these params as well. But - we don't know how to access them. Actually, everyone here seem to use the official ABI only - looks like hackers are not very interested in Tello. As a result, we don't have any unencrypted copy of Tello firmware - and without it, searching for a way to tap directly to the drone interfaces in harder.

Anyway, here is some info about the firmware - worth reading:
O-Gs Wiki: Tello main board programming

The DJI Flight Controller software contains a list of hundreds of parameters controlling its behavior.
In some drones, there is an "assistant" tool which allows changing them from a PC. In others, there is no tool - but parameters are always present, so they can be set using `og_service_tool`; specifics on how to connect that to the drone vary between platforms (some use USB, others have USB-to-TTL converter and you provide the tool with serial port, and in most you can also use your own USB-to-TTL to solder to proper pads within the drone and send the command there).

The parameters have text names, usually made of words separated by dots, ie. `global.flight.max_velocity` (just an example). In some platforms you do not provide the string directly, but instead its hash is used (the `og_service_tool` computes the hash automatically in such case).

So since this is integral part of DJI FC implementation, Tello must have these params as well. But - we don't know how to access them. Actually, everyone here seem to use the official ABI only - looks like hackers are not very interested in Tello. As a result, we don't have any unencrypted copy of Tello firmware - and without it, searching for a way to tap directly to the drone interfaces in harder.

Anyway, here is some info about the firmware - worth reading:
O-Gs Wiki: Tello main board programming
I see what you mean, I didn't realize that the Tello firmware is "uncracked" at this point. Have many experienced hackers tried it / would it be futile to attempt some hacking as a novice myself?

I don't think there were many tries, there would be a trace on some forums if they did tried.
The drone just seem to be considered not worth spending time on.

There are some Movidius tools which can be used to get an understanding of the firmware format, which would be the first step. But you would probably have to get encryption key separately, using other methods..

You may want to read these threads:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv