Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Just a little windy and not able to fly?

Daantello

Reaction score
Hello everybody! Today it was my first flight outside. Inside it flew very nice and easy to control. It was just a little windy and I was not able to control the tello anymore. I was flying in fast mode but no response at all. Does anybody recognize this?

I've flown in some fairly windy conditions. It does get blown about a bit but does a pretty good job of maintaining its position. The biggest problem I've had is trying to fly into the wind, sometimes it doesn't make much progress. That's when I throw it into "fast" mode.

Mikeg

Reactions: miky and Daantello
I've flown in some fairly windy conditions. It does get blown about a bit but does a pretty good job of maintaining its position. The biggest problem I've had is trying to fly into the wind, sometimes it doesn't make much progress. That's when I throw it into "fast" mode.

Mikeg
Hello Mike!

That is exactly what I mean, thank you for explaining! But even flying into the wind was not possibly in the "fast" mode..

These little guys are only going to be able to fight a certain amount of wind. This is my first drone but I've been pleased with what it can handle for wind.

Mikeg

Reactions: miky
My personal record is wind speeds of 14 mph at 100 feet. What I do, when the wind speed is to strong, is change altitude and continue forward. Never send your drone away from you with the wind. It will have a harder time coming back, if at all.

Hello everybody! Today it was my first flight outside. Inside it flew very nice and easy to control. It was just a little windy and I was not able to control the tello anymore. I was flying in fast mode but no response at all. Does anybody recognize this?

Attachments

• 2019-01-01 13:19:17.jpg
    2019-01-01 13:19:17.jpg
    762.3 KB · Views: 157
Maybe the drone was to far away. You should use a WiFi repeater to get extra range. Otherwise you will have a problem if the wind takes the tello out of the small connection radius...

There's a few things to keep in mind when flying outdoors:
  • Wind increases with altitude.
    Near ground you can also have "stuff" keeping off the wind (buildings, trees, bushes, ...)
  • Max speed of your drone is always relative air speed, never speed over ground. Means: Tello can fly ~8m/s (~28km/h). With wind of 5m/s (~20km/h) your Tello will achieve 13m/s (~48km/h) over ground flying downwind (=with the wind), but only 3m/s (~8km/h) flying upwind (=against the wind).
    At windspeed of 8m/s it will barely be able to hold its position at full throttle - and beyond that it's gone with the wind (time for an emergency landing....).

The UAV Forecast app is good at showing windspeeds as altitude increases, though it's not as broken down as I like (33', 100', 250', 500' and higher).

This was always something we were taught to keep in mind when coming in for a landing in a paraglider, and the turbulance caused by trees and buildings in higher winds.

Reactions: Daantello
Lower than about adult head level to surface below gives u a stupid speed limit which makes tello suck at fighting wind. Higher up tho, flip on fast mode and it should handle wind speed up to 8m/s which is quite a bit! But to do that it tilts its body a lot and it is hard to get leveled video or photos.

Or is the Tello FPV app the sollution for this problem? Can anybody confirm this maybe?

I once fight the high wind with Tello FPV, it has attitude setting, means tello can bank at certain degrees in sport mode, so just in case it carried away, just throw a sport mode or push home button, it will speed up on sport mode back to your Home position. Screenshot_2019-07-09-17-14-44-910_com.volatello.tellofpv.png

Top speed is about 17mph. I'm sure that requires a fully charged battery. Against a 10mph wind you're going to get 7mph going against the wind if everything else is optimal and it will get bounced around if there are any wind gust.

Reactions: ChrisWu
Top speed is about 17mph. I'm sure that requires a fully charged battery. Against a 10mph wind you're going to get 7mph going against the wind if everything else is optimal and it will get bounced around if there are any wind gust.
On fast mode. Slow mode max is a lot lower.

Always remember not to fly too low!!! Try to stay at least 2m high. As a safety precaution the tello don't pitch a lot when flying low and a sniff of a wind will send it somewhere else. Once it is higher it will pitch and fight the wind better. And always keep your finger close to the sport mode button because that will help it even more in fighting conditions and wind.

One stupid thing they could have added was a kill switch so that you could cut the motors in an emergency. The tello is quit strong and will survive a lot of crashes. It is better to pick it up and do some repairs than to go and look for it.

Reactions: Sky Junkie

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv