Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Mavic mini

thats why I cancelled the order with DJI. They could not give me a shipping date but only "20-25 weekdays from order" which translates to mid December.

Plus the fact that its much easier to deal with Amazon than with DJI in case of trouble.
Just in case Amazon does not ship on the 11th for some reason I have a backup order for pickup on the 11th at a local MediaMarkt :)

I am pretty determined to get one here asap. Not so much to fly it but to examine it and see if its hackable.
I ordered from DJI on the 30th, it was supposed to be here FedEx today but due to weather in Memphis it won't be here untill tomorrow. The suspense continues!!

That's what I was thinking too. Probably crammed full of all kinds of junk not necessary for flight control... and/or sloppy code.
That's crap and one more good reason to have an alternative. I don't like spending hundreds of megs for movies that I need to see once or twice which I can do also online upfront or download if I really think I need it underway, but not by default and forever on the phone's memory

Reactions: umanbean
According to the naming this app will become their DJI Go 4 successor. So I'd say normal size for such a complex app.

Yes, intros and videos are also part of the problem, but more the way they develop software. It's modern style software development: Grab a library here, a nice UI framework there, maybe another SDK and then you just write a few lines of code to glue all that together.
It's often quicker and easier than doing it "old school", but at the same time dramatically increases size, and gives very little control over what goes into the final software.If something nasty pops up its very hard and often impossible to fix it (see the Android 10 or Moto G problems of the Ryze app, same story).

My app used to be just a few kb initially, but then I added Google's analytics to get some insight (+3 MB) and the PDF manual and now its like 4 MB. But my home brew logic is still just a few hundret kb

Anyway, Amazon finally found some stock of the normal version and shipped it this morning. Should be here tomorrow or Saturday.

Reactions: umanbean and xcrost
Mine also just arrived, a day earlier than promised.
I lost track how many orders I placed over the last weeks but now one of these orders has arrived - finally! Its just the normal version, as all fly more combos are sold out until at least mid December. I don't need / want most of the added things anyway, except maybe extra batteries for development.

I roughly knew what to expect but when I had it in my hands I just though: What a fat little bird! Compared to Tello it feels huge of course. Hard to believe its only 249gr, feels heavier and the body shape isn't exactly slim or sleek.
Compared to a Bebop 2 this one is just cluttered and ugly and lacks sex appeal. The folding Dobby was much more elegant without loose props dangling around. Aesthetics aside the body of the MM is much sturdier than the Dobby, but of course the gimbal makes up for this in fragility. One crash and its dead.

I just did a 5 min spin outside as weather isn't exactly nice today but it was enough to show it does fly very well. Pretty quiet in hover but sounds like angry bees when stopping or accelerating.
Of course the app instantly complained about a ridiculous NFZ in my garden. A derelict military storage facility, not even gated anymore but still triggering some NFZ messages. I knew I would hate this mix between a Nanny and 1984's big brother that DJI shows all the time.

I will check over the weekend if I like it and if its programmable for me. I am pretty sure it will become my drone of choice for flights with a purpose, but for fun flights I will stick to Tello. Just more fun, quicker setup, less intimidating...

I lost track how many orders I placed over the last weeks but now one of these orders has arrived - finally! Its just the normal version, as all fly more combos are sold out until at least mid December. I don't need / want most of the added things anyway, except maybe extra batteries for development.

I roughly knew what to expect but when I had it in my hands I just though: What a fat little bird! Compared to Tello it feels huge of course. Hard to believe its only 249gr, feels heavier and the body shape isn't exactly slim or sleek.
Compared to a Bebop 2 this one is just cluttered and ugly and lacks sex appeal. The folding Dobby was much more elegant without loose props dangling around. Aesthetics aside the body of the MM is much sturdier than the Dobby, but of course the gimbal makes up for this in fragility. One crash and its dead.

I just did a 5 min spin outside as weather isn't exactly nice today but it was enough to show it does fly very well. Pretty quiet in hover but sounds like angry bees when stopping or accelerating.
Of course the app instantly complained about a ridiculous NFZ in my garden. A derelict military storage facility, not even gated anymore but still triggering some NFZ messages. I knew I would hate this mix between a Nanny and 1984's big brother that DJI shows all the time.

I will check over the weekend if I like it and if its programmable for me. I am pretty sure it will become my drone of choice for flights with a purpose, but for fun flights I will stick to Tello. Just more fun, quicker setup, less intimidating...
Thank you so much for your insight and detailed first impressions! Great info! ;)

Might want to make sure you check compatibility of the app before you purchase the mini. I unfortunately don't have one of these phones.
Compatibility
iOS v1.0.1
Requires iOS 10.0 or above.
Compatible with iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPhone 11 Pro, iPhone 11, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XS, iPhone XR, iPhone X, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 7, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6. [2]

Android v1.0.1
Requires Android 6.0 or above.
Compatible with Samsung Galaxy S10+, Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S9+, Samsung Galaxy S9 , Samsung Galaxy S8+, Samsung Galaxy S8, Samsung Galaxy S7 edge, Samsung Galaxy S7, Samsung Galaxy S6, Samsung Galaxy Note9, Samsung Galaxy Note8, HUAWEI P30 Pro, HUAWEI P30, HUAWEI P20, HUAWEI P10, HUAWEI Mate 20 Pro, HUAWEI Mate 10, HUAWEI nova 5, HUAWEI nova 4, HUAWEI nova 3e, HUAWEI nova 2, Honor 8X, Honor V10, Honor 9, Honor 20 Pro, Honor Magic 2, Mi 8, Mi MIX 2S, Mi MIX 2, Redmi Note 5, OPPO Find X, OPPO R15, vivo NEX, vivo X27, vivo X21, vivo X20A, OnePlus 7, OnePlus 6T, OnePlus 5, Pixel 3 XL, Pixel 2 XL, Pixel 2, Pixel, LG V20, LG G6. [2]

Reactions: Ski2much
Well, DJI's list is not exhaustive at all. Just not seeing a device there only means DJI has not yet fully tested it - it might work nonetheless.

One important requirement is missing though: your phone must have a 64bit OS, the app apparently does not run on 32bit.

I was able to successfully install and start the app on the following Android devices: Sony Xperia XZ2 compact (H8324), Sony Xperia Z5 compact, Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 9.7 (SM-T813)
The older Tab S2 versions SM-T810/SM-T815 are not compatible and won't even install the app.

And you should probably head over to for further discussion about the Mavic Mini.....

Hi there @volate!lo! Did you check the mavic mini out? Do you think there is a good chance you work your magic on this one too?

Well, DJI's list is not exhaustive at all. Just not seeing a device there only means DJI has not yet fully tested it - it might work nonetheless.

One important requirement is missing though: your phone must have a 64bit OS, the app apparently does not run on 32bit.

I was able to successfully install and start the app on the following Android devices: Sony Xperia XZ2 compact (H8324), Sony Xperia Z5 compact, Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 9.7 (SM-T813)
The older Tab S2 versions SM-T810/SM-T815 are not compatible and won't even install the app.

And you should probably head over to for further discussion about the Mavic Mini.....

So do you think its worth taking a chance on purchasing the drone as long as my phone is 64 bit OS? I want to be sure I am able to use all the great stuff in their app.

So do you think its worth taking a chance on purchasing the drone as long as my phone is 64 bit OS? I want to be sure I am able to use all the great stuff in their app.
just download their app and see for yourself. If the app installs on your phone you should be OK (unless they have again messed up the codec).

I will check over the weekend if I like it and if its programmable for me.
I assume I'm not the only one here waiting tense for any updates related the chance of getting the mini controlled with an alternative app one day. Did you already get the chance to collect first impressions to give an estimation?

So far I have not found a way to do anything at all. Pretty locked down.... :cry:
That is very disappointing!
But I will continue to wait for good news.;)
If DJI offers sdk in the future, will all of them be solved?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv