Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Motors replacement

nahuel

Reaction score
Hello!

So I busted a motor :cry:

[background, optional read:] It was so stupid it makes me angry. I was flying indoors without prop guards (I wanted to measure flight time without them) and I was just spinning around very slowly. I moved forward and I stopped the throttle like a meter before a wall and the tello kept going (at 0°, on its own momentum like it does in slow mode)! but I noticed it was getting close to the wall so I rolled back and it slightly tilted (no idea why it did that) so it wasn't enough (I was using TelloFPV but I doubt it was the culprit). It hit the wall going extremely slow and then one motor died :/ It feels loose, like the brushes broke or something.

[my problem:] I can't get the original motors here. All I found were these: Motor Para Drone 20 X 8.5mm Antihorario / Horario Kit X 4 - $ 2.100,00 which seem to be the exact same size (only thing I'm not sure is the voltage or RPM, can't find that anywhere). The problem is that they are REALLY expensive (2100 ARS = 57 USD). Over here I have no way of buying from e-bay or Chinese sites unfortunately. My questions:
  • Will these motors work? Can I use *any* motors as long as they match the dimensions?
  • Does anyone know of a cheap drone that has the same size motors? (I figured I could buy a drone for that money instead of just the motors)
Thanks!

It would be interesting to know as I just got "Larry" (white, like a Bird, homage Celtics #33) back from Ryze service. One of my motors died 2 weeks after I got it. They accepted it as a warranty claim and through correspondence assessed and claimed to repair it. After I received it back, I realized they replaced it but failed to mention it. I contacted CS and they "explained" that according to them they are not replaceable. Sure it's a little work but I see it can be done. I have also heard that be sure to replace them in pairs ad new motor old motor may have issue working together.

Yeah I saw that and saw a bunch of videos of people replacing motors. They helped me, but I can't buy those parts. Chinese generic motors seem to work, but they are sold specifically for the Tello. My question is will even more generic motors work? What are the specs of the motors?

Basically if they meet the Kv requirement, then they should work. The Tello OEM motors are 14.000Kv .

Note: Getting higher Kv does not mean they will go faster. The ESC will control the speed of the motors.

Reactions: xcrost
I just replaced mine w/ non OEM from Amazon $14.00 for all 4 free shipping. I replaced the bad one and took it for a test flight. Seemed to fly ok but I didn't test very much before replacing the other 3. I will use the old ones as back-ups.

Reactions: nahuel
I just replaced mine w/ non OEM from Amazon $14.00 for all 4 free shipping. I replaced the bad one and took it for a test flight. Seemed to fly ok but I didn't test very much before replacing the other 3. I will use the old ones as back-ups.

Thanks! Do you have a link of what you bought?

Basically if they meet the Kv requirement, then they should work. The Tello OEM motors are 14.000Kv .

Note: Getting higher Kv does not mean they will go faster. The ESC will control the speed of the motors.

That's actually a good tip, thanks a lot.

Thanks a lot. But see that's what I mean, those are sold exclusively for the Tello so they are expected to work. I can't buy on Amazon.com, I'll never get it. It's a waste of money :'(
Where exacly are you from and why can't you use Amazon, eBay, etc?

Thanks a lot. But see that's what I mean, those are sold exclusively for the Tello so they are expected to work. I can't buy on Amazon.com, I'll never get it. It's a waste of money :'(
That's a tough situation. Maybe you have a friend somewhere in a country that can order for you. I wish you luck..

Where exacly are you from and why can't you use Amazon, eBay, etc?
Argentina. They just don't deliver here. Some Chinese sites do (Alibaba, AliExpress, and even Amazon Spain/Germany). There are also many restrictions for imports. They would take like 3 months to arrive, I would have to fill up forms, pay a fee at the post office and at the revenue/tax office. It's a huge hassle (which is why imported goods are like 400% more expensive here). I guess I have no choice but to do all that :'(

Thanks for your help!

That's a tough situation. Maybe you have a friend somewhere in a country that can order for you. I wish you luck..
Thanks. That's definitely an option! Maybe I'll try AliExpress. Three months without the Tello :'(

Try this one. If you get AliExpress, you should be able to get from these guys. I order from them all the time. They take around 30 days to deliver.

Eachine M80 M80S Micro FPV Racer Quadcopter Drone Spare Parts 8520 Brushed Coreless Motor Sale - Banggood Mobile
Hello all! I had a little crash with my Tello. One more seems to be not running in the middle anymore... Is it difficult to replace it? ( It still does fly nice but don't trust it) and did anybody used the motors of the link which Ansia provided before? Thank you for your help.. ☺️

Hello all! I had a little crash with my Tello. One more seems to be not running in the middle anymore... Is it difficult to replace it? ( It still does fly nice but don't trust it) and did anybody used the motors of the link which Ansia provided before? Thank you for your help.. ☺

I bought this set and they worked great

I showed my process for replacing the motors here

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv