Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

My setup + range/height test today

Seeside

Reaction score
Munich, Bavaria, Germany, Europe, Earth, Milky Way
Hi,
I tested my "final" setup today:

- Galaxy J7 5,5" Smartphone
- App TALS (to overwrite the heights limit)
- Gamesir T1s Controller
- 3750 mAh Powerbank
- Xiaomi Mi Wifi Extender/Repeater 2

1.png

You connect the Mi Extender to the tello wifi and your smarthphone to the Mi Extender (...._plus). Works perfect :cool:.

The range I tested had 150m! (~500 ft) distance (10m ~32 ft height) and I still got 2 Wifi signal bars left (they just turned yellow) :eek:.
At this range you can´t even see the tello anmore with the naked eyes. But you still have a very good live view on your phone.
The wifi range extender is awesome!!! (y)

These are roughly 100m distance. I´m at the red arrow :D:
3.jpg

In Google maps you see my tested range:
5.png

With the app TALS (its free), you can extend the height limit of the tello from 10m up to 30 meters!

Thats around 12m (40 ft) height:
2.jpg

And thats 25m (82 ft) height:
4.jpg

At my altitude test (30m ~ 100 ft) , suddenly a strong wind has come up and worn my tello for the trees and out of sight. I thought she chrashed in the trees. :cry:
I completely lost the wifi signal to the tello. Black screen on the phone. I went, with the range extender and my phone, in the direction where I last saw the drone.
At this point, I had lost the connection for about 2-3 minutes! o_O

Suddenly I had a live picture again on the display and I saw how the small tello hovered just above the tip of the tree, about 30 meters away from me. Bravely she fought against the wind. :love:
With the "fast"-mode and a lot of adrenaline, I've been able to get the little one back to me. :D
I was so lucky. In the future, I will not fly so high when trees are nearby.

So if you lost the signal, the tello hover at the last point you lost her (or she try against the wind)

So the wifi range extender is a HUGE improvement for the tello and it will help me a lot on my future motorcycle tours in the alps!

Greets from munich :)

Nice write-up. I continue to be amazed by this little workhorse, and the photos it produces. I have a similar setup less the T1s, which I plan on adding soon. Thanks for posting this report...

Reactions: Tello_Ian
Very nice, Seeside!

So the Gamesir T1s works with the Tello App (Android) now? I got my Tello yesterday, but I am missing the tactile feedback of a real controller. I was flying an Inductrix Pro recently.

Yes, I have read the controller thread, which originally stated that only the Gamesir T1d works (not the T1s), but I also found somewhere that the T1s shall be supported now.
Does the T1s work out of the box now? Without any hacks (like using Octopus)?

Cheers
Guido

Hi,
Thanks.

The Gamesir T1s works perfect out of the box without any hacks. With the last tello update they make more controller work.
On the gamesir homepage is a tutorial: Tutorial: How to control RYZE DJI Tello drones with GameSir gamepads
And there is a note: "Read befor try: ONLY GameSir T1d / T1 / T1s / G4 / G4s adopted to control RYZE DJI Tello"

A cool feature: When you connect the controller to the tello, the virtual joysticks disappear and you have more free screen to see :cool:
And landing happens with a press of a 2 button (R2 + Y at same time), very comfortable and cool. No more tapping and slide on the screen :D

maxresdefault.jpg

Reactions: 70Falcon
Thanks! Good to hear!
I ordered a Gamesir T1s yesterday from the big A as the T1d will not be available here soon. I added a Mi range extender as well.
Looking forwad to it. :)

Safe flights
Guido

I received my T1d & tried it out real quick yesterday & it's great. Much better control, no noticeable lag, more screen space as Seeside said. Say that 3 times fast. Easy setup even for me.

How do you connect the mi extender to the tello wifi? I have the Steelseries nimbus controller. Thanks

How do you connect the mi extender to the tello wifi? I have the Steelseries nimbus controller. Thanks

Lots of videos on Youtube but from memory you need to:
1) Download the Mi app (it requires a lot of permissions so try to use a spare phone with nothing important on it).
2) Go through the Mi app to set up the WiFi extender for the Tello. The SSID for the extender will be the same name as the Tello but with "-PLUS" at the end of the name.
3) Once you get the WiFi extender set up for the Tello it stays that way until you change it with the Mi app. So you can uninstall the Mi app and power on/off the extender without needing to set it up again. You can also use a different phone.

Have you tried using the T1s with a cable? I’ve read it’s even better—no Bluetooth interference.

Hi,
I tested my "final" setup today:

- Galaxy J7 5,5" Smartphone
- App TALS (to overwrite the heights limit)
- Gamesir T1s Controller
- 3750 mAh Powerbank
- Xiaomi Mi Wifi Extender/Repeater 2

View attachment 505

You connect the Mi Extender to the tello wifi and your smarthphone to the Mi Extender (...._plus). Works perfect :cool:.

The range I tested had 150m! (~500 ft) distance (10m ~32 ft height) and I still got 2 Wifi signal bars left (they just turned yellow) :eek:.
At this range you can´t even see the tello anmore with the naked eyes. But you still have a very good live view on your phone.
The wifi range extender is awesome!!! (y)

These are roughly 100m distance. I´m at the red arrow :D:
View attachment 501

In Google maps you see my tested range:
View attachment 504

With the app TALS (its free), you can extend the height limit of the tello from 10m up to 30 meters!

Thats around 12m (40 ft) height:
View attachment 502

And thats 25m (82 ft) height:
View attachment 503

At my altitude test (30m ~ 100 ft) , suddenly a strong wind has come up and worn my tello for the trees and out of sight. I thought she chrashed in the trees. :cry:
I completely lost the wifi signal to the tello. Black screen on the phone. I went, with the range extender and my phone, in the direction where I last saw the drone.
At this point, I had lost the connection for about 2-3 minutes! o_O

Suddenly I had a live picture again on the display and I saw how the small tello hovered just above the tip of the tree, about 30 meters away from me. Bravely she fought against the wind. :love:
With the "fast"-mode and a lot of adrenaline, I've been able to get the little one back to me. :D
I was so lucky. In the future, I will not fly so high when trees are nearby.

So if you lost the signal, the tello hover at the last point you lost her (or she try against the wind)

So the wifi range extender is a HUGE improvement for the tello and it will help me a lot on my future motorcycle tours in the alps!

Greets from munich :)
OUTSTANDING post, my friend. Got my Tello this past week but windy days forcing my practices inside. (Blessing in disquise I guess) and looking forward to springtime Florida weather. Keep your posts coming ??????

How you do that? TIA ??

Buy an OTG Cable that connects the T1s to your phone. I got mine at Amazon.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv