Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Need some command from SDK2.0 that may run on std Tello

gss

Reaction score
Hi All Pilots and friends from Italy.
I would like to start there a petition to ask Ryze/DJI to release SDK2.0 also for "standard" Tello (i.e. not the EDU one).
I bought two and after digging into a lot of webpages/forum unfortunately i discovered that swarm fly may be done ONLY using the EDU version due to SDK "ap" command availability.
My question is:
Why Ryze/DJI cannot release a limited SDK2.0 version also on standard Tello, either making it available through next fw update or just on demand to guys that need to develop apps or simply have fun without the need to spend more money (throwing in the tray bin the new standard Tello) in order to buy the EDU version just to have more functions that may not be used on standard version???

Frankly speaking, they are just missing more oportunities, and the effort on their side guess would be minimal to release a new SDK for standard Tello just removing from the SDK2.0 the api that require EDU dedicated hardware (i.e. what is related to missions and some other stuff)

What you do thing about guys?

Cheers,
GSS

They easily could if they wanted to but they don't. This is a business decision just like making only Iron Man edition compatible with the Hero app.

What I think... I doubt they care about a petition. Business is not democracy.
This is like people starting a petition to make me build TelloFpv for IOS. They can unite, send petitions, raise their fist, stomp with their feet and roll on the floor crying like kids do. It won't bring them a milimeter closer to an IOS version. Business is business and I make my own decisions that are not driven by petitions.
Just like ryze does.

Lets see it from another perspective: This is like you buying a car with a 200hp motor and then using a petition for getting the 300hp chip-tuning. Because you failed to read the specs and bought a car that is slower than you wanted.

Hi Volate!lo, i understand and partly agree on your feedback.
But note that even reading the specs BEFORE buying this "toy" i was not totally aware of differences (current and future) on SDK; Tello was mostly advertised as "programmable" drone with SDK available, and i did not spent so much time on investigating further on (hidden) differences between models -- the understanding was that the EDU model had some kind of special additional feature, but it was not clear and still this is not clear to most of people (guess you know the story from the beginning as developer).

That said, again, i do agree that "business is business" but i do think that "they" are missing even more business opportunity by not makeing available SDK updates.
Maybe that most of people will simply buy an EDU or Iron-Man edition in case they do want to have newer features, but from my point of view "old" customers (in my case not really old) should not be forgotten and moved in the corner...

Anyway, in case i will not invest neither more cents nor efforts if there will be no consideration or plan to "upgrade" what was bought.
Better to invest on other vendors or have fun by making my own hw&sw...

Cheers,
GSS

PS: i'm using you app too, good job!
...and i'll not ask you an IOS version :)

yes, they may lose you as a repeat customer, but on the other hand they earn more with the separate EDU and Iron Man versions. I bet the net profit per unit for Ryze (after all fixed & variable costs) is almost twice the money compared to a normal Tello.
No one would pay extra for the EDU if the version normal could do the same .
At the end they are trying to optimize their profit.
not nice but just business.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clubfooted