Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Need Tello EDU Code or Drone Blocks Code to make Drones follow Mission Pads

Nikita94118

Reaction score
Hi all, I will be teaching a class of 16 kids using Tello EDU drones in the Fall. I am not a programmer, and the kids are in elementary school and new to it as well. I want to get them a nice easy intro to programming with the excitement of having the code make a drone perform as they instructed. I bought the Tello EDU because it has Mission Pads, a very nice easy intro for little kids. Or so I thought. The problem is that there is no documentation anywhere of how to enable the Mission Pads, or program the drone to behave in a certain way once detected.

The Mission Pad User Guide says "Command: Mon Command: Enable Mission Pad Detection (both forward and down detection).
This is an unusable instruction since it doesn't say where the Mon command can be found: in Drone Blocks? Under what Category? I don't see it. In the programming section of the Tello EDU app? Under what category? I don't see it. How can I use a command when the command doesn't exist?

Rhyze support, apparently do not know either, as they just keep sending me the same user guide when I ask this question. I think they built a drone and decided it could follow mission pads, and never tested it to see if it could be done. There are videos of it happening, so I know it is possible, but none of them show the Drone Blocks or Tello Edu code so they are less than helpful.

If one of you nice Drone Geniuses could just program the drone to detect a mission pad in Drone Blocks or Tello EDU app, (not python or scratch, and go left when it does, and then send me a screenshot of the code, I could take it from there. Again, It needs to be in Drone Blocks or Tello EDU app, not python or scratch. These are little kids and I do not want to scare them with complexity.

Hoping for help.

Thanks,

Ali

Reactions: NemAT44
Hello, i know your frustrations. We have gone thru them for two years now. We finally gave up on the Tello for this and just purchased over 100 Makerfire LiteBee wing for our school district, elementary students, because their system worked for us out of the box. However they use a much better marker called an arUco marker that they call a QR code. The mission pads do work, but the learning curve is high for you, not the kids. Think about them as a marker on the floor, is only a number of 1 to 7. NOTHNIG ELSE!. They do not send nay other information, Only confirm that spot.to start new sub routine. The arUco makers indicate an XYX axis. Other ones such as the DJI flight map, Malerfire carpets, etc. are object detection oriented. Here is a link to a series of videos that I made giving a marker class to middle grade students. School is stating here, and we have about 200 new drones to use with new teachers, so we do not have a lot of time to meal a video right now. We will try! I do like the Tello EDU app. We use it a lot, so go thru others functions for the first 8 weeks of this fall semester Where are you located? We are in Texas USA> We use ZOOM a lot, if interested. i hope this helps. Please keep in touch, as we are all in the same boat. DJI does not support the flight map here is the USA either.

Hello, i know your frustrations. We have gone thru them for two years now. We finally gave up on the Tello for this and just purchased over 100 Makerfire LiteBee wing for our school district, elementary students, because their system worked for us out of the box. However they use a much better marker called an arUco marker that they call a QR code. The mission pads do work, but the learning curve is high for you, not the kids. Think about them as a marker on the floor, is only a number of 1 to 7. NOTHNIG ELSE!. They do not send nay other information, Only confirm that spot.to start new sub routine. The arUco makers indicate an XYX axis. Other ones such as the DJI flight map, Malerfire carpets, etc. are object detection oriented. Here is a link to a series of videos that I made giving a marker class to middle grade students. School is stating here, and we have about 200 new drones to use with new teachers, so we do not have a lot of time to meal a video right now. We will try! I do like the Tello EDU app. We use it a lot, so go thru others functions for the first 8 weeks of this fall semester Where are you located? We are in Texas USA> We use ZOOM a lot, if interested. i hope this helps. Please keep in touch, as we are all in the same boat. DJI does not support the flight map here is the USA either.
Thanks Dan,

But aren't those Lite Bee drones really expensive? I would love to get a look at your curriculum if you didn't mind. I am based in NJ.

Ali

Thanks Dan,

But aren't those Lite Bee drones really expensive? I would love to get a look at your curriculum if you didn't mind. I am based in NJ.

Depending on ho0w you look at it. We have about 12 Tello's. And over two years, have found them very quirky. They did not want to take off, ( overheating )- we ahve to sue fan, and laptop blankets to cool them. Do not want to connect to WiFi ( we had to learn how to use WiFi protocol n along with infoview, Wifi ( n - 300 mps ) routers, AP, extenders, etc. A bundle cost about $259. Very close to the LiteBee Wing that so far has worked easily, for the youth for any of our programs including swarms. They have a differed mindset than DJI. i.e. using a local area net connect to connect the drones. You can Goto the Onpoynt website to look up prices, and bundles. Look under homeschooler on the site also for single kits. To help you with what you have, we will make a short video on Sunday on how to use the DJI mission pads with a simple approach using Scratch as you build some experience with computer vision programs. We do not use Droneblocks a lot. ( a good program ) Also you might want to look into www.aidroensofware.com for a good program that gives you the temperature of the Tello battery, with warning lights, plus other goodies. What grade are you using the drones in, and is it a club or a curriculum course, if so what discipline? Will let you know Monday the video is done and on Youtube. School starts here August 16. We may join us in a ZOOM session on Tuesday night at 6:30 pm CDT USA. also you may want to join us in the 8 week fall semester sessions FLY WITH ME TO THE MOON, part of our NASA international observe the Moon night landing up to the NASA 2024 landing on the Moon with a male and female. Look on our Youtube sire for our NASA 50th year anniversary of landing on the moon library events.

Reactions: DigitalKarl
Thanks Dan,

Ali
Hi Nikita,
May be our application can help you out. We are working with bunch of other schools to help students understand drones and other AI features. The software is specifically designed for Tello Drones. It has a flight planner too.
Please contact us on [email protected] if you have any questions.

Thaks
-Ktz

Hi Nikita,
May be our application can help you out. We are working with bunch of other schools to help students understand drones and other AI features. The software is specifically designed for Tello Drones. It has a flight planner too.
Please contact us on [email protected] if you have any questions.

Thaks
-Ktz
Will your software recognize the DJI mission pads as he wants to, and then fly a prepared mission. Also will it recognize any object . I am not sure how he will view the floor. There are many discussions on how to 3d print a mirror holder for downward views. Thank you.

Hello Probably will not get the video done today. We have a birthday patty to put on for four members, ut here is a very simple code to utilize the mission pads. 1. Set four pads on the floor in squarer about a meter apart. 2 With blockcode put a start ( flag ) block first , then take off, wait 5 seconds, do a 90 degree clockwise turn, 6. go forward 1 meter. 7. Land, 8 takeoff 9. Repeat until back to pad 1 hover , and land.. This should work, and is simple to start. As I said preciously, these pads are just floor identifiable markers. Computer vision can recognize the littlie numerical data it receives from a pad. Good luck and let me know if this works for you. We will be doing this also for the lower grades. Probably we will make the video then.

Will your software recognize the DJI mission pads as he wants to, and then fly a prepared mission. Also will it recognize any object . I am not sure how he will view the floor. There are many discussions on how to 3d print a mirror holder for downward views. Thank you.

Hey Dan... yup that's quite achievable, we have that feature for "Drone AI - School" which is our other software just for schools. We have that functionality to identify mission pads from downward facing camera and execute commands. Just like the current Flight Planner mode we have.

1627830842954.png

Hi all, I will be teaching a class of 16 kids using Tello EDU drones in the Fall. I am not a programmer, and the kids are in elementary school and new to it as well. I want to get them a nice easy intro to programming with the excitement of having the code make a drone perform as they instructed. I bought the Tello EDU because it has Mission Pads, a very nice easy intro for little kids. Or so I thought. The problem is that there is no documentation anywhere of how to enable the Mission Pads, or program the drone to behave in a certain way once detected.

The Mission Pad User Guide says "Command: Mon Command: Enable Mission Pad Detection (both forward and down detection).
This is an unusable instruction since it doesn't say where the Mon command can be found: in Drone Blocks? Under what Category? I don't see it. In the programming section of the Tello EDU app? Under what category? I don't see it. How can I use a command when the command doesn't exist?

Rhyze support, apparently do not know either, as they just keep sending me the same user guide when I ask this question. I think they built a drone and decided it could follow mission pads, and never tested it to see if it could be done. There are videos of it happening, so I know it is possible, but none of them show the Drone Blocks or Tello Edu code so they are less than helpful.

If one of you nice Drone Geniuses could just program the drone to detect a mission pad in Drone Blocks or Tello EDU app, (not python or scratch, and go left when it does, and then send me a screenshot of the code, I could take it from there. Again, It needs to be in Drone Blocks or Tello EDU app, not python or scratch. These are little kids and I do not want to scare them with complexity.

Hoping for help.

Thanks,

Ali

Nikita you can also try our "Flight Planner" feature, it's quite similar to what you are looking for. You can design a flight plans by settings Drone Speed, Time to travel in a direction, Distance to Cover, Change Direction. It's very user-friendly and doesn't involve any coding or dragging. Just clicking on mouse buttons.
There are 3 pre-designed modes Straight Flight, Square Flight and Rectangle Flight. You can also design your own plan and cancel the plan in the middle of the Flight Plan if drone goes of-course. We can do a zoom call if you feel the need.

You can download the software from our website: www.aidronesoftware.com
[email protected]

You might also want to checkout other AI features which excite kids curiosity

Thanks-piyush

Last edited:
@Nikita94118
It looks like there is currently no support for special mission pad related commands in the block programming apps like Tello EDU App and Scratch based Drone Blocks app.

I think, it is a good idea to start with block based programming when you teach kids in the elementary school. And the functional range of the block apps already gives a good insight.

Perhaps in the meantime there will be an update to these apps adressing also the mission pad related commands. At the moment they only seem to be accessible through the SDK in programming languages like Python or Swift, which might not be the right level for those kids.

@AIDrone
When you only have a hammer in your toolbox, every problem seems to look like a nail... ;-)

@Nikita94118
It looks like there is currently no support for special mission pad related commands in the block programming apps like Tello EDU App and Scratch based Drone Blocks app.

I think, it is a good idea to start with block based programming when you teach kids in the elementary school. And the functional range of the block apps already gives a good insight.

Perhaps in the meantime there will be an update to these apps adressing also the mission pad related commands. At the moment they only seem to be accessible through the SDK in programming languages like Python or Swift, which might not be the right level for those kids.

@AIDrone
When you only have a hammer in your toolbox, every problem seems to look like a nail... ;-)
Hahaha.. We do have a functionality in Flight Planner, where users creates a flight plan. Eg
1) Take Off
2) Move forward for 4 sec at speed of 60 Until Mission Pad With Id 'X' is found
3) Move right after that for 3 sec at speed of 50
4) Land

We have this functionality because the SDK in Python allows you to recognize the mission pad. And we made a much simpler & user-friendly GUI for that. This feature is not available in Pro Drone AI, it's exclusively just for Schools and their custom requirements..
1627863647095.png

Hey Dan... yup that's quite achievable, we have that feature for "Drone AI - School" which is our other software just for schools. We have that functionality to identify mission pads from downward facing camera and execute commands. Just like the current Flight Planner mode we have.

View attachment 6925
Thank you , I learn something all the time. We are a non-profit that mentors our district school students. ( four high schoola, two middle schools per high school and many elementary schools ) We do what is called curricular enrichment education. it is because of our program, our school district just purchase a few hundred LiteBee wings and ghost 2, that will go to elementary and middle schools. So far none for the high schools. We are hoping to work on this once they get the 34 drone clubs ( 34 teachers got 6 hour of instruction last week on the LiteBee's ) going. They have no experience with any sUAV drones, but limited experience with robots. ( sULV' _How do we get this school program as we are not a school per se?

Thank you , I learn something all the time. We are a non-profit that mentors our district school students. ( four high schoola, two middle schools per high school and many elementary schools ) We do what is called curricular enrichment education. it is because of our program, our school district just purchase a few hundred LiteBee wings and ghost 2, that will go to elementary and middle schools. So far none for the high schools. We are hoping to work on this once they get the 34 drone clubs ( 34 teachers got 6 hour of instruction last week on the LiteBee's ) going. They have no experience with any sUAV drones, but limited experience with robots. ( sULV' _How do we get this school program as we are not a school per se?

Hey Dan, we will email you the process for same. You are doing great work in inspiring kids and introducing them to advance tech of near future :)

Hahaha.. We do have a functionality in Flight Planner, where users creates a flight plan. Eg
1) Take Off
2) Move forward for 4 sec at speed of 60 Until Mission Pad With Id 'X' is found
3) Move right after that for 3 sec at speed of 50
4) Land

We have this functionality because the SDK in Python allows you to recognize the mission pad. And we made a much simpler & user-friendly GUI for that. This feature is not available in Pro Drone AI, it's exclusively just for Schools and their custom requirements..
View attachment 6926
But here we are talking about block programming in an elementary school...

Reactions: AIDrone
Hi Everyone,

Here is the code for Tello EDU drones to recognize Mission Pads. I am doing it in the Tello EDU App.
At the risk of stating what you all already know, a simple explanation of XYandZ coordinates
X=front of drone. Positive Values are Forward, Negative Values are Backward
Y-side of drone. Positive Values are Left (I think) and Negative are Right. Experiment to confirm
Z= height of drone. Positive = Up, Negative = Down.
In this code I just wanted the drone to go 3 feet in front of each pad in turn, so I have 0 Values for the Y coordinates.
If placed 3 feet apart with the rocket ship always pointing to the next pad, this code will work. I have found that I have to start the drone on Mission Pad 1 in order for it to recognize it.

Easy Mission Pad Code.PNG

Additionally to recognize objects, I have the following code. I cut out a yellow triangle and taped it to my floor (or else the drone blows it away). Note, in order to enable Image Recognition you need to activate the camera.
Image Rec.PNG

In general I am finding Tello EDU a nice dependable little drone and the EDU app is pretty intuitive. They do overheat quickly and then shut off. I had purchased Amazon Fire tablets for the kids to use, as they were the cheapest tablets I could find, but I regret it now, as every time the drone shuts off, I have to reconnect the WiFi and Fire tablets don't have multitasking. This means that I have to start up the Tello App after doing that, rather than go back to where I was in the app. By the time I have watched the black screen which makes me think the tablet is dead, and then the white screen which makes me want to scream, and then seen the little boy who wants to tell me how to use the app, and then selected the green puzzle piece the drone has shut down again.

I don't see me hauling a fan into each school to keep the drones cool. Not sure how to fix this.

Anyway, thanks for all the help everyone. I thought I would give some back.

Ali

Thanks Ali - interesting.
So the "M" Parameter in the Go XYZ command block adresses a mission pad?

Is the yellow triangle the only recognized target or is it possible to define your targets? Is it detected by the bottom facing camera or by the front camera?

I saw also a block function to scan a barcode. I guess, this is carried out by the app and not by the Tello tiself?

Reactions: AIDrone
thanks for video but i need to know how to use blocks in edu drone to recognise target

thanks for video but i need to know how to use blocks in edu drone to recognise target
Here isa link to a
Here is a link to a video with Tello EDU that we made.to use the large DJI flight carpet. Your mission pad number will be from 1 to m8 Where are you located and what do you want to do with the program. The pads are only a location marker and can only be read within a 3 meter by 3-meter square the top attitude. look at the instructional booklet for a diagram of the floor and top distances. .You must be within this area to have the pad read. We may work on this more today with our youth. Could maybe do a zoom session in future, Hope this helps som,e.

Reactions: NemAT44

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karlyan