Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

New Android App: TelloMe (FollowMe for Tello)

Well today I went out to test and try to record my experience so you can improve the development of this application.

I want to say that this is my humble opinion and that I can be wrong and that I do it only with the intention of improving your product.

Positive points:

First of all I want to say that the presentation, format and movement are excellent.

It moves with speed and the controls for raising, lowering, forward, backward, lateral, landing, settings, luminance control or exposure work very well.

The connection with Tello is very stable.

Motion detection looks great, framing is perfect when it finds the person detects it all the time.

Points to improve:

When pressing track 4 options appear and it only worked for me:
Most prominent person

This function only worked for me for a moment in manual mode after pressing the go button many times until it worked for a few seconds, and it is canceled.

Otherwise there is a moment when the function was activated and it reversed and collided with the entrance, but calmly I know that this version is beta and before flying I had the protectors on, so nothing happened.

I don't know what happens with the gooo button, will it be a problem?

I tried it on my huawey Y9 2019 phone

For the rest, I want to say that this application has a future and is very advanced, what remains to be corrected is very little, and I would love to continue helping. For everything else check the video to see what worked and what did not, greetings and happy flight.

Tellome android probado

Last edited:
Thank you for your work on this app.

I have Xiaomi Mi 9 and it will not recognize any person to start tracking.

Poslano sa mog MI 9 koristeći Tapatalk
Tested again with Mi 8se without battery optimizations and game booster but still no tracking. Yes, the phone pass the testing but no tracking boxes. Waiting for next releases I have bought the video add on to support your work. Thanks.

Found the problem!
I will release a fix tomorrow (its 3am here)

Reactions: umanbean
My test result with Huawei p30 pro-Test passed with 7/0/6 (whatever that means). Very interesting you can switch from a Tello Me to a Tello FPV and it works well.

I just release the first productive version to the play store

Well today I went out to test and try to record my experience so you can improve the development of this application.

I want to say that this is my humble opinion and that I can be wrong and that I do it only with the intention of improving your product.

Positive points:

First of all I want to say that the presentation, format and movement are excellent.

It moves with speed and the controls for raising, lowering, forward, backward, lateral, landing, settings, luminance control or exposure work very well.

The connection with Tello is very stable.

Motion detection looks great, framing is perfect when it finds the person detects it all the time.

Points to improve:

When pressing track 4 options appear and it only worked for me:
Most prominent person

This function only worked for me for a moment in manual mode after pressing the go button many times until it worked for a few seconds, and it is canceled.

Otherwise there is a moment when the function was activated and it reversed and collided with the entrance, but calmly I know that this version is beta and before flying I had the protectors on, so nothing happened.

I don't know what happens with the gooo button, will it be a problem?

I tried it on my huawey Y9 2019 phone

For the rest, I want to say that this application has a future and is very advanced, what remains to be corrected is very little, and I would love to continue helping. For everything else check the video to see what worked and what did not, greetings and happy flight.

Tellome android probado
The face tracking problem should be fixed with the last release. There was a codec color format mismatch that affected many phones but none of mine.

There is no probem with the Go button. The app constantly warned you that you are "too close". If Tello is too close to the target the app will never start tracking, no matter how often GO is pressed.

The short moment at the end where you had just enough distance to start tracking it worked OK.
You moved towards Tello and to the left side of the image. With "Track distance" activated it moved backwards to keep the initial distance while you moved toward Tello.
With "Profile" activated Tello moved left to keep you centered in the frame.

My test result with Huawei p30 pro-Test passed with 7/0/6 (whatever that means). Very interesting you can switch from a Tello Me to a Tello FPV and it works well.
it tells me that your phone is fast enough to have fun!

The switch in the other direction can sometimes fail, every time the video stabilization was lost (for example after taking a photo)

I am verry - verry - impressed by this App. I saw it for IOS on YouTube ans wished you will do it for Android too.
Its windy here, so I only could do a short test on both my phones.
The HTC u11 Has a Device Performance of 4/3/6. It worked perfectly, smooth - even by the strong wind today.

The Huawei P30 Pro has a Device Performance of 8/0/5
Tello worked a tiny bit better with tellome on the p30.

It is realy fun to work with telloMe on both my phones. I just buyed the Video recording, its worth you work. I even would spent 10euros.
You See me on My knees, Godfather of Tello App.

One More Thing:
On the p30 pro the Video gui seems a bit stretchy, I hope that the recorded Video isnt Stretch?

Thank you verry much for your work, time and knowledge to let have us so much fun

EDIT:
Is it may be possible to implement an Exit/Out Button?

Last edited:
Latest version fixed problem for me. Now tracking working.

I could only test in room for a minute as I don't have big enough space inside and it's very windy outside.

Last edited:
Reactions: volate!lo
I am verry - verry - impressed by this App. I saw it for IOS on YouTube ans wished you will do it for Android too.
Its windy here, so I only could do a short test on both my phones.
The HTC u11 Has a Device Performance of 4/3/6. It worked perfectly, smooth - even by the strong wind today.

The Huawei P30 Pro has a Device Performance of 8/0/5
Tello worked a tiny bit better with tellome on the p30.

It is realy fun to work with telloMe on both my phones. I just buyed the Video recording, its worth you work. I even would spent 10euros.
You See me on My knees, Godfather of Tello App.

One More Thing:
On the p30 pro the Video gui seems a bit stretchy, I hope that the recorded Video isnt Stretch?

Thank you verry much for your work, time and knowledge to let have us so much fun

EDIT:
Is it may be possible to implement an Exit/Out Button?
The settings have a switch for fullscreen vs 16:9 to get rid of the stretching problem.

Also its just on the screen, not in the video. Video is always 16:9 FHD

EDIT: Regarding the exit button: No.
TelloFpv has one and it is the least used function of the menu. In fact the "wifi settings" menu item has seen more use than the "exit" item.

Last edited:
Hello. Just checked the new version and all the tracking modes are working now using my Mi 8se. The performance results are 4/3/6, 16,3 on Tf Person, 10 on ML face. Really good work, congratulations!

I tried again today, with new version, on Nokia 7 Plus (SD660), Tf Person test is always ~15, but the first time on test I've got 5.3 on ML. The drone's camera was pointed to the living room with kids jumping and running around. Then I tried again with camera pointed to the bookshelf on the wall, the image was static and got the ML score 8.0. The bench result now is 4/3/6.

I tried the app after that and it works fine, it finds my face and the drone tracked me through the room, but I don't have much space to test it further inside.

Last edited:
I seems that volate!lo has done great job again (y)?

I tried a few minutes at home with my samsung S9+ which passed performance tests. The drone crashed a few times, but not because of the app, but because of the lack of space. Unfortunately, it's too windy outside to make some tests.

As the demo version does not allow to record, I couldn't test if there is still enought CPU on the phone to record the video. Any feedback on this ?

I seems that volate!lo has done great job again (y)?

I tried a few minutes at home with my samsung S9+ which passed performance tests. The drone crashed a few times, but not because of the app, but because of the lack of space. Unfortunately, it's too windy outside to make some tests.

As the demo version does not allow to record, I couldn't test if there is still enought CPU on the phone to record the video. Any feedback on this ?
the s9 has enough power to record smooth video, no worries. Viedo quality is like tellofpv

This is how powerful my phone is Lmao
View attachment 5971

Actually you run into a bug. The yellow writing "Extr 0" tells me that no data even arrives at the tracker. Some phones have that, still looking for the reason.

But, I looked up the Alcatel 5041c. No way this will ever be able to run any of the trackers.Based on the Antutubenchmark I'd say you need a phone at least 3-4x faster to get acceptable performance, 10x faster if you want perfect performance.

the s9 has enough power to record smooth video, no worries. Viedo quality is like tellofpv

Actually you run into a bug. The yellow writing "Extr 0" tells me that no data even arrives at the tracker. Some phones have that, still looking for the reason.

But, I looked up the Alcatel 5041c. No way this will ever be able to run any of the trackers.Based on the Antutubenchmark I'd say you need a phone at least 3-4x faster to get acceptable performance, 10x faster if you want perfect performance.
That's kind of what I figured, cheap Android phone, but it does run TelloFPV very nicely which is fine with me. ??

Reactions: volate!lo
the s9 has enough power to record smooth video, no worries
Which parameters influence the test result of a phone? On my S9+ I just did several re-runs of the test directly one after another and I always got quite different results with the same phone, same Tello connection, same environmental conditions.
Sometimes I got even results with one of the test listed under "reduced performance" and the next time again all passed.

Which parameters influence the test result of a phone? On my S9+ I just did several re-runs of the test directly one after another and I always got quite different results with the same phone, same Tello connection, same environmental conditions.
Sometimes I got even results with one of the test listed under "reduced performance" and the next time again all passed.
The tests are real world tests. That is the trackers are activated and video frames are fed into the tracker. The test runs for 2 seconds for each configuration and then the average framerate of the tracker over that period is used. The longer the period, the more stable the result would be but nobody wants to wait several minutes for such a test.

The actual framerate depends on background activities on the phone of course, but also on what is visible in the video feed. The detection routines use machine learning and neural networks, so these are not simple linear routines. Instead of a fixed 30ms per frame it may take 20ms for one frame, but 60ms for another depending on what is visible in the frame.

If you had to find a face in an image, which one will take you longer to grasp: A crystal clear picture of a face on a uniform background, a pure white image wihtout any pixels at all, a dark image full of pixelated noise, or maybe an image of a stadium full of people?

So yeah, these test results aren't an exact science .

On my S7 'dedicated flight device', I got better results after I ran the 'Optimizer' app... which I assume is either from Samsung or a feature of that particular version of Android... don't know for sure and don't really care. Tellome works for me and, just like Tellofpv, I know it will only get better and better

Reactions: xcrost
J'ai testé cette nouvelle application aujourd'hui sur mon S8 et cela fonctionne parfaitement! Ça me va très bien.
Merci !

If I installed non-google play and paid for the unlock, will the purchase be saved when updated?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karlyan