Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

New app: TelloFPV for Android

I can't follow your link but I guess you are referring to the "virtual gimbal" thread.
The vGimbal has different problems: Tello needs to move fast horizontally to tilt enough. Control is laggy after taking a photo due to link saturation (for downloading the photo).So there is a real risk of crashing / fly away during such maneuvers.

A flip is a different thing as Tello would just hover in place after the flip, so no risks due to laggy controls. I never thought about taking a photo in the middle of a flip

The app is fantastic and well worth the money.

I thought it may be blurry as video frames are during flips but i noticed when in sport mode the camera tilts downwards quite abit when starting and stopping, that maybe more stable. I wonder what the max tilt the gyros register for certain maneuvers in sport mode.
I presume the sdk doesn't allow you to throttle down and up individual props to angle the camera downwards.
Thank you for your passion, user engagement and continuing support, it is refreshing to see.

The app is fantastic and well worth the money.

I thought it may be blurry as video frames are during flips but i noticed when in sport mode the camera tilts downwards quite abit when starting and stopping, that maybe more stable. I wonder what the max tilt the gyros register for certain maneuvers in sport mode.
I presume the sdk doesn't allow you to throttle down and up individual props to angle the camera downwards.
Thank you for your passion, user engagement and continuing support, it is refreshing to see.

Motors are controlled by the onboard flight controller (on any drone that I know). The app only provides directions where to fly and the flight controllerexecutes this. Wifi is far too slow for such real time controls.

Reactions: Slyi
I joined this forum initially to download a couple of pictures and then came across this app, and instantly purchased it when my Tello arrived. Many congratulations! I would have paid twice the asking price or more to get this. I had been thinking of writing my own controller app for Tello but hacking the low level protocol and generating the UI would take months and it's already been done here, and far better than I could have done it (y)

Nothing to do in the long cold evenings now :( I will have to find something else as a winter/lockdown project!

One question as a newbie user. In post #2934 I see
TelloFpv 1.8.3 was just released to beta Change
* Allow normal backup of settings / preferences
This dimbo can't find this and the manual doesn't mention this. Does it still exist in 1.8.5?

I joined this forum initially to download a couple of pictures and then came across this app, and instantly purchased it when my Tello arrived. Many congratulations! I would have paid twice the asking price or more to get this. I had been thinking of writing my own controller app for Tello but hacking the low level protocol and generating the UI would take months and it's already been done here, and far better than I could have done it (y)

Nothing to do in the long cold evenings now :( I will have to find something else as a winter/lockdown project!

One question as a newbie user. In post #2934 I see
This dimbo can't find this and the manual doesn't mention this. Does it still exist in 1.8.5?

If you feel bored over the winter I'd suggest a pose / gesture control selfie app. Not really a project for commercial success but should be fun :)

The backup "feature" was just a switch that allows Android backup to store / restore the settings just like for other apps (this was switched off in earlier releases due to security concerns)

Hi volate!lo, bought your app off play store and found it very useful.

Revisiting the RTH feature, I noticed the RTH point/icon will drift into the wind whenever the Tello hovers stationary at a distance from it. In my case at 100m and beyond, the RTH point slowly drifts to the East if there is an easterly 3m/s breeze.

Is the in-app RTH calculation affected by this ? Is it possible to skip updating the RTH point if no control inputs are detected, when Tello auto-hovers and rolls or pitch in the wind ?

Your elaborate tests deserve a separate comment! I'll explain the overshooting:
TelloFpv autopilots work by analyzing the data coming in from the VPS. It then sends stick commands to move Tello, like sending yaw stick 100% to rotate quickly to the right. This is done about 10 times per second.
This problem has existed since day one, its a conceptual thing. Its a tradeoff between turning speed, and reliability. I can tweak a bit more towards reliability, but the basic problem will remain on such extreme flights.

Last edited:
Hi volate!lo, bought your app off play store and found it very useful.

Revisiting the RTH feature, I noticed the RTH point/icon will drift into the wind whenever the Tello hovers stationary at a distance from it. In my case at 100m and beyond, the RTH point slowly drifts to the East if there is an easterly 3m/s breeze.

Is the in-app RTH calculation affected by this ? Is it possible to skip updating the RTH point if no control inputs are detected, when Tello auto-hovers and rolls (pitch not so much) in the wind ?
The app receives position data from tello, and just uses this for rth calculation. Even without control input the position changes constantly. A few cm back and forth per second are normal but with some wind tello can drift more than that, and the app needs to use the moving position to take care of this drift.
I can't see a way to reliably distinguish between true drift and 'noise drift' that wind introduces. More so since the 'noise drift' most likely depends on each tello's vgps, altitude, wind, etc

The app receives position data from tello, and just uses this for rth calculation. Even without control input the position changes constantly. A few cm back and forth per second are normal but with some wind tello can drift more than that, and the app needs to use the moving position to take care of this drift.
I can't see a way to reliably distinguish between true drift and 'noise drift' that wind introduces. More so since the 'noise drift' most likely depends on each tello's vgps, altitude, wind, etc
Thanks for the explanation. So it boils down the reported VPS data from the drone.

I'm grateful your RTH can at least get it back to within video feed signal range. Thanks again !

volate!lo hi! Thank you for that very good and usefull app) Please add this app in Russian Google play store, I don't want use a hacked version of you app, I want to buy it, but can't (

Hi Volatello

I changed phone (now it's a Note20 Ultra 5G) and I noticed that ALL the time that I launch the app it contacts Google Play Store to check the license..

Is it normal?

Is there any risk that if I run the app when no Internet connection.. the app will not run?

Thanks

Inviato dal mio SM-N986B utilizzando Tapatalk

That just means that you have switched to a user defined date & time (not network provided). Local license is only stored for devices with network provided time (the app also gives a message in that case)

Just switch back to network time, start the app, then close, run it again a few hours later so the local license is created.

You can set a user defined date & time after that when the local license was stored.

That just means that you have switched to a user defined date & time (not network provided). Local license is only stored for devices with network provided time (the app also gives a message in that case)

Just switch back to network time, start the app, then close, run it again a few hours later so the local license is created.

You can set a user defined date & time after that when the local license was stored.
Sorry but I have not switched anything.. and date/time are in automatic mode.. see attached picture

I just used smartswitch to transfer all the data from one phone to another as I always do..

I suspect instead that some data were not transferred properly (using SmartSwitch).. was it possible?
a937964136cf2bd34d836d223bc1074c.jpg

Inviato dal mio Note20 Ultra 5G utilizzando Tapatalk

transferring the license with such a tool doesn't work as it is encrypted with a device-specific code.

But the app should overwrite it with a new code for the new device after a few hours. If this doesn't happen all you can do is clear all app data, then it should store the permanent license after a few hours.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
97bugsinthecode