Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

New app: TelloFPV for Android

Would it be possible to add a configurable feature in settings to automatically disable bluetooth during TelloFPV running?
I often forget to switch BT off before flying because I usually wear a Smartwatch, and when recording videos while BT is on, I often have short breaks in the video stream at the end, so I afterwards always curse that I again forgot about the f***ing BT setting.. Maybe the software could help here in some way to no longer forget about this.
sounds like a smart idea (y)

Reactions: CallmeDash and AnGo
I never considered about simply using Tasker to achieve this.. Very good idea indeed.. At least as a workaround I will try this, too.

I never considered about simply using Tasker to achieve this.. Very good idea indeed.. At least as a workaround I will try this, too.
I use tasker to turn off Bluetooth, maximum brightness and maximum volume when I launch TelloFPV, DJI Go and Litchi and restore settings when I exit those apps.

Reactions: xcrost
I bought "GPD XD PLUS” the other day.
You can use MAVIC PRO in wifi mode with DJI GO4 and Litchi, and it will be handy with minimal luggage.
It's very convenient, so I want to use it for tello.
However, if you use "GPD XD PLUS" with Tello FPV, you can operate the flight, but the image does not appear. (Same for Tello app)
Can this be avoided by the app? Do you rely on Tello's own hardware? Or firmware?

I bought "GPD XD PLUS” the other day.
You can use MAVIC PRO in wifi mode with DJI GO4 and Litchi, and it will be handy with minimal luggage.
It's very convenient, so I want to use it for tello.
However, if you use "GPD XD PLUS" with Tello FPV, you can operate the flight, but the image does not appear. (Same for Tello app)
Can this be avoided by the app? Do you rely on Tello's own hardware? Or firmware?
SOunds like the device has some special modifications in the Android network module.

My guess is it has some special Android-modification that refuses the incoming video connection from Tello. Could be some firewall.
You can probably try to find such a process, but without owning this specific device there is nothing I can do to help fix this.

SOunds like the device has some special modifications in the Android network module.

My guess is it has some special Android-modification that refuses the incoming video connection from Tello. Could be some firewall.
You can probably try to find such a process, but without owning this specific device there is nothing I can do to help fix this.
Thank you for the information.
There seems to be a suspicion that the cause of the malfunction is not on the Tello side but on the XD plus side.
I will investigate a little more.

Thank you for the information.
There seems to be a suspicion that the cause of the malfunction is not on the Tello side but on the XD plus side.
I will investigate a little more.
As a result of the investigation, it was found that the video can be displayed normally if a wifi repeater is inserted instead of connecting directly to Tello.
I don't know how it works, but I want to make it the smallest package, so I would like to investigate further so that the image is sent directly without going through a repeater.IMG_2545.JPG

Last edited:
As a result of the investigation, it was found that the video can be displayed normally if a wifi repeater is inserted instead of connecting directly to Tello.
I don't know how it works, but I want to make it the smallest package, so I would like to investigate further so that the image is sent directly without going through a repeater.View attachment 6046
The custom Rom maker seems to work with me on this obstacle.
I was asked a technical thing, but I'm not sure.
What kind of port does Tello use for video transmission with the application (terminal)?
Does that mean that the port will change if you mediate with a Wifi repeater?
Does the port number change depending on the terminal model?

In "GPD Xd plus", with the Tello me app, the image is displayed on the screen using the Wifi repeater, but it seems that transmission is not possible, and the device performance shows 0 fps.
It seems that video transmission is apparently done, but isn't the port required for operation actually closed?
I would be happy if you could give me any hint.

By the way, at the end of last year, I also tried to verify the operation of the FPV application with "DJI SMART CONTROLLER" which was a hot topic.
In conclusion, the FPV app recognizes that a controller is connected, but Android recognizes only the L1 button (record button) and R1 (photo shutter) as keys.
I couldn't use it to fly Tello because it didn't recognize the stick.

The custom Rom maker seems to work with me on this obstacle.
I was asked a technical thing, but I'm not sure.
What kind of port does Tello use for video transmission with the application (terminal)?
Does that mean that the port will change if you mediate with a Wifi repeater?
Does the port number change depending on the terminal model?

In "GPD Xd plus", with the Tello me app, the image is displayed on the screen using the Wifi repeater, but it seems that transmission is not possible, and the device performance shows 0 fps.
It seems that video transmission is apparently done, but isn't the port required for operation actually closed?
I would be happy if you could give me any hint.

By the way, at the end of last year, I also tried to verify the operation of the FPV application with "DJI SMART CONTROLLER" which was a hot topic.
In conclusion, the FPV app recognizes that a controller is connected, but Android recognizes only the L1 button (record button) and R1 (photo shutter) as keys.
I couldn't use it to fly Tello because it didn't recognize the stick.
The app makes no difference if there is a wifi repeater or not. In fact the app does not even know if a repeater is being used or not. All the app does is use an existing wifi connection.

The connection sequence is as follows:
  • App opens a bi-directional UDP channel to Tello for control communication (commands, stick positions, responses, file transfers, etc). Phone port used is 6525, port on the Tello side is 8889
  • The app sends a "connect xyz" command via this channel, where xyz is the UDP port the app is listening on for video.
    That port xyz is typically 7777, but at least TelloFpv can also move to higher port numbers in case the video port is busy (could happen if switching between apps)
  • Tello opens a one-way UDP channel to the phone using the video port provided, and starts sending video data. Depending on network security setting this video channel may look like an unsolicited connection, so some over sensitive ROMs or firewalls could block it.

This is not specific to TelloFpv, that is just how it works for all apps that are based on the native binary protocol (SDK is different I think). Also nothing of this can be changed, except for a few port numbers, but the overall sequence was defined by Ryze and can't be modified.

If TelloMe video transmission works OK but tests show 0fps, then there is a codec problem. You can try different video codecs from the settings menu. This codec selection and codec configuration thing is a mystery sometimes, I can not guarantee that TelloMe is free of faults in that region.

For Smartcontroller: DJI decided to do their own thing and not use standard input device API. Nothing I can do about this, at least not with acceptable effort.

Reactions: UziLullaby
The app makes no difference if there is a wifi repeater or not. In fact the app does not even know if a repeater is being used or not. All the app does is use an existing wifi connection.

• App opens a bi-directional UDP channel to Tello for control communication (commands, stick positions, responses, file transfers, etc). Phone port used is 6525, port on the Tello side is 8889
  • The app sends a "connect xyz" command via this channel, where xyz is the UDP port the app is listening on for video.
    That port xyz is typically 7777, but at least TelloFpv can also move to higher port numbers in case the video port is busy (could happen if switching between apps)
  • Tello opens a one-way UDP channel to the phone using the video port provided, and starts sending video data. Depending on network security setting this video channel may look like an unsolicited connection, so some over sensitive ROMs or firewalls could block it.

This is not specific to TelloFpv, that is just how it works for all apps that are based on the native binary protocol (SDK is different I think). Also nothing of this can be changed, except for a few port numbers, but the overall sequence was defined by Ryze and can't be modified.

If TelloMe video transmission works OK but tests show 0fps, then there is a codec problem. You can try different video codecs from the settings menu. This codec selection and codec configuration thing is a mystery sometimes, I can not guarantee that TelloMe is free of faults in that region.

For Smartcontroller: DJI decided to do their own thing and not use standard input device API. Nothing I can do about this, at least not with acceptable effort.
Thank you for providing the connection information.
I consult with a custom rom developer.

It would be fun to operate with a smart controller, but the priority you want to achieve is not high.

Thanks for telling me about changing the video codec settings for "tello me".
When I made the codec "OMX.google.h264.decoder", it started to work properly.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200608-180905.png
    Screenshot_20200608-180905.png
    126.1 KB · Views: 20
Reactions: volate!lo
well, thats exactly what the app says in the test results whenever there are results with 0fps: Change the codec ;)

I would like to clear up something that is not being mentioned. Let's start from beginning.
-Your XPD could not obtain video feed but had control.
-added extender and you gained video and control.
-dont want extra tech to take with you and think it must be a software issue.
So where does this lead to??? Well its quite simple.
MU-MIMO is your answer. The Mi2 Repeater has that built in. Which is also baked into many smartphone and tablets that support 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz wifi. I had a old gaming router with a wifi repeater function that in theory would work but got same results as you did in beginning. Control but no video.

2.4Ghz wifi 802.11n repeater MU-MIMO is what you need to obtain control and video with many other devices like laptops and your XPD, the XPD can't handle multi input and multi output in the same wifi channel. Its not software ykur missing or coding its hardware. And is a repeater really a problem to carry with you??? It adds range and clarity to your video in noisy wifi environments or when you try flying through multiple rooms.

Any questions just ask.

I use tasker to turn off Bluetooth, maximum brightness and maximum volume when I launch TelloFPV, DJI Go and Litchi and restore settings when I exit those apps.
Consider using Automate app. Its free and easier to modify and gives you a graphical map view with connection points between tasks, and the log is great to point out issues. Then turn off log when you use the environment full time and your good to go. I used it to automate my old jeep to connect to a Bluetooth module for my radio and start Android auto and then in turn ask me where I want to go and what music to play. Best part is it would ask to be plugged in to power to access GPS navigation and if i didn't want it to it would just do music. Very dependable and easy to setup and you can share the whole thing in the Automate community, without sharing your info setup on your phone.

I would like to clear up something that is not being mentioned. Let's start from beginning.
-Your XPD could not obtain video feed but had control.
-added extender and you gained video and control.
-dont want extra tech to take with you and think it must be a software issue.
So where does this lead to??? Well its quite simple.
MU-MIMO is your answer. The Mi2 Repeater has that built in. Which is also baked into many smartphone and tablets that support 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz wifi. I had a old gaming router with a wifi repeater function that in theory would work but got same results as you did in beginning. Control but no video.

2.4Ghz wifi 802.11n repeater MU-MIMO is what you need to obtain control and video with many other devices like laptops and your XPD, the XPD can't handle multi input and multi output in the same wifi channel. Its not software ykur missing or coding its hardware. And is a repeater really a problem to carry with you??? It adds range and clarity to your video in noisy wifi environments or when you try flying through multiple rooms.

Any questions just ask.

MIMO helps improve connection quality and improve performance, especially for repeaters.

It does not help in cases where n o connection is established at all at the software level like it was the case here.
Control and video are more or less the same but with a) different ports and b) control data channel is create by the phone app where video is "unsolicited". Video is a data stream that is initiated by Tello and not the phone.
Unsolicited data streams from other network components are always suspicious so I think that this particular device has some conflicting firewall rules that are triggered in a direct connection but not via extender.

MIMO helps improve connection quality and improve performance, especially for repeaters.

It does not help in cases where n o connection is established at all at the software level like it was the case here.
Control and video are more or less the same but with a) different ports and b) control data channel is create by the phone app where video is "unsolicited". Video is a data stream that is initiated by Tello and not the phone.
Unsolicited data streams from other network components are always suspicious so I think that this particular device has some conflicting firewall rules that are triggered in a direct connection but not via extender.
Interesting

This setup would require root or adb authorization for the action required of turning on airplane mode, but you could substitute that with using the act of user turning on airplane mode that the environment would monitor and ask if your gunna fly or not and that would either start the thread or reset to wait till it gets set again (airplane mode)Screenshot_20200609-123222_Automate.jpg

Reactions: CallmeDash
I love the FPV app but have one feature wish: take a video/picture pointing straight down.

Could you get still picture at the moment the drone camera is pointing straight downwards during a flip maneuver?

I love the FPV app but have one feature wish: take a video/picture pointing straight down.

Could you get still picture at the moment the drone camera is pointing straight downwards during a flip maneuver?
Smart idea. I will give it a try

I am almost certain that this won't work due to strict timing requirements that can't be met - and which differ from Tello to Tello. Also the results will most likely be blurry.
But maybe I'm wrong so I'll try that over the weekend

Reactions: Bruchpilot and Slyi

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv