Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

New app: TelloFPV for Android

Technically easy to do, just a few minutes work. But I'm not really a fan of this.

First you'd have to select what battery level triggers RTH. Of course I could start doing some math (flight time left in battery vs distance to fly home) but that won't work reliably if you fly batteries with different characteristics (age). At the end you might have enough juice to get home or not...

Second real "Auto RTH" would not ask you to return but instead just go home. In most circumstances this causes more trouble than its worth. You are flying somewhere around the house and bang ... Tello flies into the flower vase because thats the direct way back home. Or Tello tries to ascend to 15m because thats what you programmed RTH to do for your outside flight yesterday...

I'd rather add some notification sounds..
A few sounds would be great but pls not the "screaming" low batt. warning :)

"...I tried to Record screen via DuRecorder, but when DuRecorder is on, TelloFPV didnt react to fly. Seems like DuRecorder Blocks your App..."

I tested the TelloFPV app today with DuRecorder recording and it worked perfect!

Maiden flight outdoors was awesome V! Except for the 20+mph gusts :(... CSC does work! Just very touchy as was said. I haven't tweaked the T1D controller yet but its working good, very little lag. I didn't try AP's much yet because of the wind. I will be more brave next flight. I did try RTH ...it rose to 10m as programmed, turned the right direction but then flew backwards??? The RTH Indicator was correct too. (I love the distance counting feature but it was going the wrong way lol) I'm so glad you made it easy to cancel AP's and landings etc. awesome feature! Next flight in ~hour! :) I will try DU recorder and see how it goes.

Oh when I changed batts it came up black screen, I closed the app, cleared RAM and it worked fine. It seems If I close the APP this happens and I have to clear RAM to get video again (no other apps are running i.e. Tello, etc. regarding your earlier post)

Last edited:
Maiden flight outdoors was awesome V! Except for the 20+mph gusts :(... CSC does work! Just very touchy as was said. I haven't tweaked the T1D controller yet but its working good, very little lag. I didn't try AP's much yet because of the wind. I will be more brave next flight. I did try RTH ...it rose to 10m as programmed, turned the right direction but then flew backwards??? The RTH Indicator was correct too. (I love the distance counting feature but it was going the wrong way lol) I'm so glad you made it easy to cancel AP's and landings etc. awesome feature! Next flight in ~hour! :) I will try DU recorder and see how it goes.

Oh when I changed batts it came up black screen, I closed the app, cleared RAM and it worked fine. It seems If I close the APP this happens and I have to clear RAM to get video again (no other apps are running i.e. Tello, etc. regarding your earlier post)

Backwards on RTH? Was Tello trying to get back against the wind? That could be because it uses pitch carefully. Should be more aggressive...
Currently RTH and other autopilots are not to be used in any signifcant wind. I will add a warning to the manual and release notes. and I put it on the todo list as part of the AP control optimization.

Check of CSC is on the list.

Has anyone ever tried CSC inflight to shut down Tello's motors? Because I read that other DJI drones use this for emergency shutoff, and can fall out of the sky when using it accidentally.

Good work,

Briefly checked in my room and works fine on my Samsung S9 exynos. Also cheap bluetooth controler works as expected. Looking forward for split screen for FPV googles.

Backwards on RTH? Was Tello trying to get back against the wind? That could be because it uses pitch carefully. Should be more aggressive...
Currently RTH and other autopilots are not to be used in any signifcant wind. I will add a warning to the manual and release notes. and I put it on the todo list as part of the AP control optimization.

Check of CSC is on the list.

Has anyone ever tried CSC inflight to shut down Tello's motors? Because I read that other DJI drones use this for emergency shutoff, and can fall out of the sky when using it accidentally.
I'll try it next flight.
Last flight went great. Left the app open during batt change, reconnected Wifi and baaam it worked w/ no RAM re-set. RTH is still turning to face me and going backwards away from me. ... Much less wind now. POI lock worked like a champ! Awesome feature! Amazing.

No clue what is wrong with your RTH. Have you tried to come back with the wind from behind? Please switch on debug overlay (Main settings => expert => debug) and check the AP input. A reading like "P: 0.2" means 20% pitch. The AP currently doesn't do much more than this

Good news:
rewrite of the video handling is complete. Video is super smooth now, and I haven't had a single issue with black screens or failed connections. Seems I found root cause and now video quality is on par with the stock app.
Maybe even a bit better: You can now decide if you prefer to drop corrupted frames (which causes "jumps" in a recording and stutter in live stream) or if you want include them (causing jitter artifacts small or large for a fraction of a second in both).
Video lag is around 170-180ms so a bit better than the stock app which does about 210-230ms on the same old Samsung S4 (my Parrot Bebop is around 300-350ms on that phone). Maybe I can squeeze out a few more ms of this with different thread priorities.
IMG_20181219_231006.jpg

Tomorrow I will work on:
Testing video on different devices with different failure scenarios
Fixing CSC command to work with 80% stick input
Photo not saved but folder present (OK, I have no clue what causes this)
Switching photo / video doesn't always work
Continously Spinning left (also no idea but I will double check)

New release should be ready tomorrow evening (CET).

Last edited:
Good work,

Briefly checked in my room and works fine on my Samsung S9 exynos. Also cheap bluetooth controler works as expected. Looking forward for split screen for FPV googles.

VR goggles will follow once everything else works OK. Definately after christmas as my first priority is to release on / before christmas. But VR goggles won't be too long after christmas.

Awesome! I can't wait. I just had another great flight. No issues except, yes, RTH is going backwards. I promise I'm not going crazy. I will try the debug screen. It does exactly what its suppose to do but flies in reverse (pitch back) up to the speed I set. The video improvements are going to be great I can't wait. I guess I can wait a few more weeks for VR ;)

Oh.. CSC does not kill motors. Might be nice to have a "kill" switch but not possible with Tello??

Last edited:
Hello Volatello,

Finally, today I was able to test the TelloFPV app (0.5) with my setup: Oneplus One (Android 6.0.1) with the Parrot Flypad or GameSir G3s controllers. I did the flights outdoor and the tests went very well.

First, I tested the app with the Flypad, connected via bluetooth, and it worked perfectly.

The automatic take/off and the landing through the button worked very well . The motors startup with the sticks also is nice. I didn’t try the hand launch and landing.

I tested some AP features and they also worked well (RTH, Circle POI, Lock POI)

The Video & Sports speedmodes worked well.

The video, although sometimes was pixelated, overall worked well and did not have any black screen or other occurrence.

Second, I tested the TelloFPV with GameSir G3s controller. I could only connect it via USB OTG. I could not make it work via bluetooth. However, via OTG it worked well, with all the features already tested with Flypad.

For the OTG connection I followed the brick72 routine and works perfect:
“…Routine to get started without Video and gamepad Problems:
1. Connect gamepad to your Phone
2. Turn tello on
3. Connect WiFi to tello WiFi.
4. Start telloFPV…”

When I tried to make it work via Bluetooth, I got my first black screen. I had this situation 2 or 3 times and I gave up using the G3s via Bluetooth.

DuRecorder worked without any problem with both controllers. I even recorded, simultaneously, the video with the app and the screen with DuRecorder, without any problem.

I bought Tello a little over a week ago and I was thinking about returning it back because, with the available apps, I could not reach my objective: to fly the Tello with Flypad controller and FPV with VR capabilities.
Thanks to your app, I completely changed my mind and I will keep the Tello, as I have a lot of fun when flying with it.

It's amazing the work you've already developed with the TelloFPV app.

Thank you so much for your dedication!

Last edited:
Awesome! I can't wait. I just had another great flight. No issues except, yes, RTH is going backwards. I promise I'm not going crazy. I will try the debug screen. It does exactly what its suppose to do but flies in reverse (pitch back) up to the speed I set. The video improvements are going to be great I can't wait. I guess I can wait a few more weeks for VR ;)

Oh.. CSC does not kill motors. Might be nice to have a "kill" switch but not possible with Tello??

update: RTH is working. The backward thing has something to do with being too low with a high return altitude set when RTH is activated. Set to 0 it works perfectly! WOW I love it

Hello, I installed the app, but I can not operate any of the 2 autopilots, do not start the flight, the tello remains still overing. Another problem more serious despite start recording, does not save movies .. anywhere, you start and stop adjusting the recording (I have regularly allowed access to the app to the smartphone) but the files do not store them.
Also known in the return HOme the drone returns above me but does not land ... is it normal?

I have a redme note 5 android thank you

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tello_cargo_ege