Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

New app: TelloFPV for Android

Yes, that would certainly be possible. A bit of effort, but not a very complex change. But no, I won't do it :cry:

The reason:
Tomorrow someone asks for 4 different rates. Then someone 5. If we add rates it's going to be more and more complex to understand / memorize the stick configuration. Then we don't have two different rate/expo/deadzone configurations per controller but three, four, five. That's going to create more issues than it solves.

Luckily we already have a fully proportional rate selector. Its called "thumb" ;). Just use your thumbs appropriately, and make sure you configure different rate & expo settings for both modes and all axes. Configured correctly it allows both smooth slow flights and sporty runs, and anything in between.

If you feel expo & rate are not enough to do this then my guess is your controller isn't really proportional. Use the gamepad tester app I linked a few times already and check if 10% stick travel really is 10% controller output, and 100% controller output is really only reached at 100% stick travel.
I have a controller that has an output of 0% up to maybe 30% stick travel where it just jumps to 20%, and it reaches 100% very early at maybe 70% stick travel. So there is actually very little stick travel actually used, most of the travel is wasted at 0% or 100%. Of course its very hard to fly if all the controller does is 0% or 100%.
I could also use a simple controller with plain buttons for left and right (which I actually plan to do in a future release as I have a very tiny keyfob BT controller I want to support).

And now to make you happy after this little rant: I hear ya. (y)
I have an idea that is much easier to implement, doesn't confuse newbie drone pilots and might help both of you. What about a rate limiter button?
A button that cuts the given rate in half when pressed. All other settings like expo and deadzone will remain the same, just the rate is temporarily cut in half.
Say you configure 60% rate for video mode and 100% for sport mode. You can fly using these rates, or you press the button and fly with 30% when in video or 50% in sport. This will affect all axes of the drone.
The button will only be available for mapping to an external controller button, and will only be active while pressed (momentary switch / push button). If I do it otherwise I'd need some precious screen real estate and I know I'll have better use for that in the upcoming releases.
Keep in mind that people like me still fly with phones like an S4 mini (I prefer phones sized for single-hand use). So there isn't that much room left
Thanks for the reply, and explaining your view, i do understand :) Coming from flying 3D helicopters and FPV Racing quads, i get what you say about thumb control :) The problem is that i am used to Spectrum DX8 and FRSky Taranis Tx precision. A rate limiter button will be much appreciated, and will make my Gamesir T1s a bit better in feeling towards the craft (y)

Hello @volate!lo . Yesterday, I lost my tello, because it lost the WiFi connection with my phone and it started to land automatically. I haven't found it. Do you know if it is possible to get the last position from any log that you app has?

By the way, I was using your app while I was flying it.

Thanks

John

John, I feel really sorry for your loss.
I'm afraid there is nothing in current version of TelloFPV that could help you. FlightRecorder & FlightLog, which are supposed to become a real help in cases like yours, are still in early stages and don't do much.

I'm sorry, but just keep searching. Tello seems to survive almost everything, including rain showers.

Reactions: raulvolador
Thanks for the reply, and explaining your view, i do understand :) Coming from flying 3D helicopters and FPV Racing quads, i get what you say about thumb control :) The problem is that i am used to Spectrum DX8 and FRSky Taranis Tx precision. A rate limiter button will be much appreciated, and will make my Gamesir T1s a bit better in feeling towards the craft (y)

Thats the culprit: Gamepad precision is nowhere comparable with true RC controller precision. Thats why I love the Flypad, even though its really a pain for the video feed.

Reactions: Clinton1
Hi Clinton, did you try to plug taranis on your phone ? It is the same like flysky, the RX position is assigned to the yaw (in game pad tester app) ?

Hello @volate!lo . Yesterday, I lost my tello, because it lost the WiFi connection with my phone and it started to land automatically. I haven't found it. Do you know if it is possible to get the last position from any log that you app has?

Thanks

John
If you have not already, I recommend a wifi extender. I'm sorry for your Tello, but do not give up and keep looking for the area where tello fell.:cry:

Reactions: xcrost and johnagr
You should open source the video streaming part of the app so that others can help you improve it.

v0.94 is out on google play.
Its mostly a bugfix release with a few minor enhancements.
The major issue was the Samsung app crash. A random, rare incident but it happened a few times as I can see on the google play console. It wasn't affecting flights as it only happened after the app was closed but still it causes major concerns to see the app crash. That was a bit of work, and I am not 100% sure I got it right as I can't test. Lets hope its fixed!

That is the only fatal crash type we have so I hope we now have a solid foundation to build upon. If no other major issues pop up I can focus on solely VR.

Tomorrow I'll be off most of the time, and the day after tomorrow I'll have a bad hangover. I wish you "einen guten rutsch!". That doesn't translate well to English but its good wishes for the new year!

Fixed issues
------------
* App Crash on some devices, mostly Samsung S8 / S9
* Image / video gallery is not updated to include videos / photos
* Controller setting button mapping assignment picked wrong button
* RTH does not work after disconnect / reconnect
* Autopilots do not allow to change speedmode video <=> sport
* Flight log has distances wrong

New features
------------
* Notifications if APs are switched off
* PANIC button sets Attitude Angle to maximum (temporarily, restored after button is released)
* Boost button: Temporarily doubles the rate (up to 100% rate)
* Limit button: Temporarily cuts rate in half
* New button in Controller settings to clear controller definitions
* Notification if download photo failed / timed out
* Startup of video recording optimized, no more blurry sequence at recording start
* Flightlog contains last known distance and direction from takeoff point, direction 0 is where the drone faced when turned on
* Reminder for PDF manual on first startup

Rate LIMIT button is done. As said not on screen but only available to map it to a controller button. LIMIT cuts the rate in half. Say you have defined 80% rate (so output is 80% if stick is in the 100% position). Limit cuts this in half, so the maximum now is 40%.
As a goody I also added a rate BOOST button. BOOST doubles the rated output, up to 100%

Thanks

John
I know its too late but Flightlog now contains the direction and distance to the last point when the drone had contact drone, relative to starting point. One BIG CAVEAT: direction is relative to the direction of the drone when it was switched on! Tello does not have a compass so not much we can do about this (at least for now).

@volate!lo

I have 2 requests if possible.

1. Can you incorporate some sort of acknowledge when you press a button? I fly my Tello looking at it more than looking at the screen and I press buttons, but don't know if it received my command or not.

2. Is there a way to incorporate the IMU and Gravity calibrations into the app? I fly with different propellers & prop guards, depending if I'm flying inside or outside, so I have to constantly calibrate gravity to correct the change on weight and thrust on my Tello. I really want to delete my original Tello app, but can't due to this.

Thanks,

Ansia
1) A button beep? For onscreen buttons or real buttons?

2) These will make their way into TelloFpv but they are low on the todo list.

If it's not on the list yet, I would like to be able to switch to my phones camera view while in VR if possible ;)
Already on the list, but not as easy as it sounds. Certainly not in v1.0.

If I tell you, you look good today, can you bump it up to the top of the list? ;)
No, they are a fair bit of work for what they do and as far as I can see priorities for the masses is favoring awesome VR over boring IMU.

v0.94 is out on google play.
Its mostly a bugfix release with a few minor enhancements.
The major issue was the Samsung app crash. A random, rare incident but it happened a few times as I can see on the google play console. It wasn't affecting flights as it only happened after the app was closed but still it causes major concerns to see the app crash. That was a bit of work, and I am not 100% sure I got it right as I can't test. Lets hope its fixed!

That is the only fatal crash type we have so I hope we now have a solid foundation to build upon. If no other major issues pop up I can focus on solely VR.

Tomorrow I'll be off most of the time, and the day after tomorrow I'll have a bad hangover. I wish you "einen guten rutsch!". That doesn't translate well to English but its good wishes for the new year!

Fixed issues
------------
* App Crash on some devices, mostly Samsung S8 / S9
* Image / video gallery is not updated to include videos / photos
* Controller setting button mapping assignment picked wrong button
* RTH does not work after disconnect / reconnect
* Autopilots do not allow to change speedmode video <=> sport
* Flight log has distances wrong

New features
------------
* Notifications if APs are switched off
* PANIC button sets Attitude Angle to maximum (temporarily, restored after button is released)
* Boost button: Temporarily doubles the rate (up to 100% rate)
* Limit button: Temporarily cuts rate in half
* New button in Controller settings to clear controller definitions
* Notification if download photo failed / timed out
* Startup of video recording optimized, no more blurry sequence at recording start
* Flightlog contains last known distance and direction from takeoff point, direction 0 is where the drone faced when turned on
* Reminder for PDF manual on first startup

Rate LIMIT button is done. As said not on screen but only available to map it to a controller button. LIMIT cuts the rate in half. Say you have defined 80% rate (so output is 80% if stick is in the 100% position). Limit cuts this in half, so the maximum now is 40%.
As a goody I also added a rate BOOST button. BOOST doubles the rated output, up to 100%

I know its too late but Flightlog now contains the direction and distance to the last point when the drone had contact drone, relative to starting point. One BIG CAVEAT: direction is relative to the direction of the drone when it was switched on! Tello does not have a compass so not much we can do about this (at least for now).

1) A button beep? For onscreen buttons or real buttons?

2) These will make their way into TelloFpv but they are low on the todo list.

Already on the list, but not as easy as it sounds. Certainly not in v1.0.
I figured it was not easy but I had hopes...no rush ;)

...in the next few days, I'd like to save time for a small review.For now pretty happy, nonetheless.
Now then, I can make some sort of observations only, always IMHO.
I think the GUI is good like that, we don't need any jingles, pretty minimalist and technically correct.Maybe, if it was possible, I would be going to spend some time on selecting different colors.
For example, the green plane's color at the center it's not very easy to catch.Switching to black, some sort of grey or even blue colors, doesn't make any obtrusive action.
Later, totally useless of course :ROFLMAO:, I will be glad being able to change the "login wallpaper," yes it sounds dumb I know, but I prefer flat colors when I was to play with settings without drone connected :geek::geek:

Thanks for the update 0.94.

I've just updated the app to 0.94, but now when I exit the app I get this screen, so I see that the TelloFPV program has been interrupted. this has not happened to me with the 0.9 version on Samsung Note 3 neo SM-n7505 Android 5.1.1
I tried only to start the app without connecting tello and gamesir.ma when I leave the app I have this problem.

Screenshot_2018-12-31-10-10-23.pngScreenshot_2018-12-31-10-10-32.png

Last edited:
Not that I am aware of. Simply put I got spoiled by aTello Pilot and feel weird and start second guessing me when I press something and hear no acknowledgment.
Oh, I wasn't aware aTelloPilot does that. I never used it much. It started screaming at me like mad and make strange noises when I first opened it so I turned down the volume.

I've just updated the app to 0.94, but now when I exit the app I get this screen, so I see that the TelloFPV program has been interrupted. this has not happened to me with the 0.9 version on Samsung Note 3 neo SM-n7505 Android 5.1.1
I tried only to start the app without connecting tello and gamesir.ma when I leave the app I have this problem.

View attachment 2433View attachment 2434

Is it reproduceable? If so it's great news! That would allow us to get at the root cause of this.

Could you activate Android diagnostics like described here:
Share usage & diagnostics information with Google - Google Account Help

And then provoke this error?
That will enable an anonymous error report that I can see in Google Play Console.

Also what happen when you press "Rapporto"?

Is it reproduceable? If so it's great news! That would allow us to get at the root cause of this.

Could you activate Android diagnostics like described here:
Share usage & diagnostics information with Google - Google Account Help

And then provoke this error?
That will enable an anonymous error report that I can see in Google Play Console.

Also what happen when you press "Rapporto"?
The problem is known every time I close the app!
I have already sent Feedbak google diagnostics, on behalf of andreamodel.rc and included system logs.

Reactions: volate!lo
The problem is known every time I close the app!
I have already sent Feedbak google diagnostics, on behalf of andreamodel.rc and included system logs.

I also received this warning:
This application is slowing down the performance of the device. To improve the performance of the device, disable the automatic application of this application.

he says he checked 10 errors in 1 week.

Screenshot_2018-12-31-13-32-28.png

Reactions: volate!lo
Hi all,

Wish you all a great new year.

@volate!lo Your app rules! By far the best Tello app. Thank you for your amazing work.

When you have a beta or alpha version of the fpv functionality, would you provide an apk for testing here?

Reactions: Flydrone

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv