Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

New app: TelloFPV for Android

Sounds like a job for... SuperUser! :LOL:

Of course, the phone would have to be rooted to access Android system folders. Also, knowledge and experience with the Android operating system and it's folder structure would be necessary.

And a root-only backup app like Titanium would come in real handy... but then the target phone would have to be rooted also.

I don't think it would be very easy at all?

Reactions: Thisbeaux
sincerely if the developer (Volatello) adds a feature for keeping data (flight record and settings) would be the best...

Inviato dal mio ZFlip utilizzando Tapatalk

Reactions: CallmeDash
sincerely if the developer (Volatello) adds a feature for keeping data (flight record and settings) would be the best...

Inviato dal mio ZFlip utilizzando Tapatalk
I ~think~ it could have something to do with the concept of 'diminishing returns'...

volate!lo can explain the reasons better than I

First entry from google search:

(the law of) diminishing returns
  1. used to refer to a point at which the level of profits or benefits gained is less than the amount of money or energy invested.

That more or less nails it.

Before I add a new feature I ask myself three questions:
Is this a feature that most users expect the app to have?
Will I sell more apps if I add this feature?
Is this feature super easy to understand and use (otherwise it will trigger service requests)?

If the answers are yes-yes-yes then its a must have feature, unless it otherwise interferes with existing functionality.

If the answer is no-no-no then I will add this only if I want / need this for myself (and keep it as a private easter egg).

For "export settings and flight log" the answers are no-no-no. Such feature is simply of no value for the vast majority of users - in fact for anyone except a handful of power users (who are of course totally over-represented in this forum). The "average Joe" just doesn't care

That said I will change the setting to allow backup / restore for the normal settings in the next release, so the app will be more cooperative to allow external backups of the settings. The app uses normal Android databases so there is no easy way to backup these.
However I am not planning any explicit backup / restore / export functionality for the settings or flight logs.

Last edited:
For "export settings and flight log" the answers are no-no-no. Such feature is simply of no value for the vast majority of users - in fact for anyone except a handful of power users (who are of course totally over-represented in this forum). The "average Joe" just doesn't care

That said I will change the setting to allow backup / restore for the normal settings in the next release, so the app will be more cooperative to allow external backups of the settings. The app uses normal Android databases so there is no easy way to backup these.
However I am not planning any explicit backup / restore / export functionality for the settings or flight logs.

So do you believe that all the other developers who implement such feature .. spend time for something with no value? Or maybe it's something that is part of the "general value" of any SW?
Like a good translations .. which should also be no-no-no..
But any good sw developer should take care (and you did).

Said that.. thanks for considering this (even if partially) for a next release.. I will appreciate a lot (for my next Phone change... this one is already done .. by loosing settings)
;-)

Thanks

The fact that backup & restore of settings was disabled was more an accident than anything else. I needed this disabled in the early days and never thought about re-enabling it.

Yes I do believe that log file export is of absolutely no use to the vast majority of users because only very very few would look at these.
You are mixing up your "power user" requirements with what the average user does. Now most developers are power users themselves, and many find such features handy for their own use and just build it. That doesn't change the fact that the average user opens the app only to fly.

I am new to this forum. I recently purchased the Tello and flew it a few times with the standard app and was mightily impressed. What a great little drone.

I have just purchased the Tello FPV app and I am looking forward to trying it out today. It certainly looks good and I have seen many good reviews.

@Volatello
Just curious. I am a dotnet/wpf/c# programmer and I wonder what language/sdks you use to program the Tello.

Regards, MY

I am new to this forum. I recently purchased the Tello and flew it a few times with the standard app and was mightily impressed. What a great little drone.

I have just purchased the Tello FPV app and I am looking forward to trying it out today. It certainly looks good and I have seen many good reviews.

@Volatello
Just curious. I am a dotnet/wpf/c# programmer and I wonder what language/sdks you use to program the Tello.

Regards, MY
TelloFpv (Android) is written in plain Java, without the use of any SDK. It has its own implementation of the native binary protocol that the Ryze app uses, too.

What mobiles do you recommend using? (other than samsung). I have bluetooth issues using huawei and I am not sure what works

I tested the FPV app yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed the flight. This drone is just incredible for it's size.

@Alex dronie,
I use a Lenovo android tablet and I have not found any issues controlling the Tello without a controller.

Regards MY

Reactions: akward59
TelloFpv works with all devices on the market with at least oid 5. The only exception is a couple chromebooks. And a couple of devices running Android 10 have issues detecting Flypad / Gamesir T1D but that is due to problems in their Android.

Of course you need acceptable performance: Check Antutu benchmarks or similar and get something that is at least equivalent to an S5 as an absolute minimum.

For good VR fun you need 1280x720 per eye (plus some room for adjustment), so do the math.

TelloFpv 1.8.3 was just released to beta

New
* Orbit Autopilot: Dronie followed by a Circle
* Gridlines(see settings main - misc)

Change
* Allow normal backup of settings / preferences
Fix
* Fix for crash on startup on certain phones

TelloFpv 1.8.3 was just released to beta

New
* Orbit Autopilot: Dronie followed by a Circle
* Gridlines(see settings main - misc)

Change
* Allow normal backup of settings / preferences
Fix
* Fix for crash on startup on certain phones

Hello, very good last releases (the follow terrain feature is pretty good).
Only bad feedback i have is that for my phone ( Galaxy A20 ) now i have to turn off bluetooth to fly because it makes the connection so unstable. It was not a trouble in the past.

Hello, very good last releases (the follow terrain feature is pretty good).
Only bad feedback i have is that for my phone ( Galaxy A20 ) now i have to turn off bluetooth to fly because it makes the connection so unstable. It was not a trouble in the past.
But thats not a problem of the last releases but more a general problem, isn't it? Or maybe you have updated something else?
At least I haven't modified anything in the bluetooth area for some time now.

I stop supporting this even for users with special needs. Which means no more manual licenses with the upcoming release 1.8.0.

****, and just as I have come here to ask for one -- my old device died :/ As the key seems tied to device, it looks I'm out of luck even with old versions, or would you consider issuing a key for old version? "I hereby declare, that I indemnify you from all potential liability concerning the app, including but not limited to making Tello eat my pet lizard or worse" ;)

****, and just as I have come here to ask for one -- my old device died :/ As the key seems tied to device, it looks I'm out of luck even with old versions, or would you consider issuing a key for old version? "I hereby declare, that I indemnify you from all potential liability concerning the app, including but not limited to making Tello eat my pet lizard or worse" ;)

After the problems with TelloPilot2019 I no longer support manual keys on recent versions, and I don't send out APKs to anyone. I do not suggest that anyone installs APKs from anywhere else but play store.

But: Since you already have & use a articular APK I have no problem providing you the code for another device. I just need the version you currently have & use and the device ID by email.

On a sidenote: I am still 100% that these problems had nothing to do with the app. I have no clue what problem it was but I use manual codes for my own devices all the time with no problem at all.

Reactions: CallmeDash
and just as I have come here to ask for one -- my old device died :/
I don't understand this whole concept of manual keys. Why can't someone just connect an old / or replacement device via wifi, add the Play Store account that the app was originally purchased with, and download another copy of the app?

I did that with three tablets, my current phone, and 3 other old phones - and everything works perfectly.

Reactions: Thisbeaux
I don't understand this whole concept of manual keys. Why can't someone just connect an old / or replacement device via wifi, add the Play Store account that the app was originally purchased with, and download another copy of the app?

I did that with three tablets, my current phone, and 3 other old phones - and everything works perfectly.
Mostly two reasons:
Some folks don't like google for some reason and want to avoid using play store and all that.
Some people have devices that just don't run play store.

Generally speaking I no longer support this at all, and deny any such requests. I only do this for very early adopters here on the forum - well and a couple of people with devices where I just wanted to see the results (Epson Moverio, Occulus Go, etc).

TelloPilot2019 was an early adopter but he was afraid of some virus originating from play store that killed his first tablet. Or something like this - I could not exactly follow his description what exactly was the reason for not using play store. Some people find problems everywhere.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv