Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

New app version IOS

Brand new first drone, but no recording possible and the app freezes. I sure hope this will be solved very soon, otherwise I will return the drone to the store. Disappointing first experience.

I got a reply to my support query to Ryzerobotics about iOS app crashing when you stop the video recording…
"Kindly try this troubleshooting steps to see if this will resolve the issue.

Try to turn off the location services on the settings of your mobile device. Set your mobile device to Airplane mode, reconnect to the Tello WiFi network."
[Emphasis added by me]

I have just tried this and it recorded 4 videos in a row without issue. Switched location services on and it crashed on the next video, so certainly looks like this could be temporary fix. It would be great if others can try this and see if it helps.

If everyone who is experiencing this issue also emails [email protected] and describes their problem maybe Ryzerobotics will see how common the issue is and work on a bug fix.

Don’t forget to Include your version information and location in the email e.g.
Firmware Version: 01.04.35.01
Tello app version: 1.1.14
Mobile device: iPhone Xs
OS/Android Version: 12.1

Same issue here. New Tello out of the box. iOS 12. Any help would be appreciated

OK guys, I'm done playing silly reindeer games. Changing the password caused the app to lock up. Tried to reset to factory, and now the drone is bricked. Time to return to store...

Notes read:

Fixes video bug.

Anyone tried the version? Does it fix the framedrops (which became more frequent with latest firmware) or some other bug?
Most of this issue is because of your phone capabilities....need 4gb ram, good CPU like Qualcomm Snapdragon 820 or higher....my phone have that spec.everthing work well

Found this group by having this problem...so that's one good thing. Need to update iPhone and Tello firmware before I email Ryze, but that will be my next step. iPhone XS Max, app freezes when stopping video recording. This caused my drown to be blown into a tree 50+ feet high and stuck there for two days before we were able to get it down with Disc Golf frisbees.

Found this group by having this problem...so that's one good thing. Need to update iPhone and Tello firmware before I email Ryze, but that will be my next step. iPhone XS Max, app freezes when stopping video recording. This caused my drown to be blown into a tree 50+ feet high and stuck there for two days before we were able to get it down with Disc Golf frisbees.
Glad you got it back.

This is a well documented issue! I think the software folks are asleep at the wheel.
Enough bad press and Christmas won’t go so well for tello!
Hope they get off their asses and fix the video recording issue, otherwise this drone is pretty useless!

Wake up DJI!!!!
Tom S

Add me to the list ...

iPhone 6s Plus
iOS 12

Phone locks up when I try to save Video and has locked up a couple of times while flying. Love this little thing but NO VIDEO is a huge NO Keep issue for me.

Followed the directions below and had a chance to fly the drone a bit, so far this seems to resolve the problem. It's not a perfect solution, when taking still shots the drone seems slow or unresponsive durning the time the photo is being 'saved'

"Kindly try this troubleshooting steps to see if this will resolve the issue.

Try to turn off the location services on the settings of your mobile device. Set your mobile device to Airplane mode, reconnect to the Tello WiFi network."

LMAO. Should have known better.

Just got this Tello. Tried on two iPads and two iPhones. App crashes upon stopping video. Has anyone found a fix for this or is it a POS?

Hi,
I did a test yesterday with my iPhone Xs Max and I had no problems recording a video in regular mode. I did not try recording using the other smart modes. If I have time today I will repot back and let you know my findings.

is it still working? Mine on iPhone XS Max not working

Last edited:
Ok. Online chat with Tello says that iPhone XS Max not supported yet.

Said on my other device to do this (in attached photo)
I did this on my iPad Pro running 12.0.1 and it worked. Now I can record video on my iPad with no crashes.

I will try it on my iPhone X Max for the hell of it.
IMG_0539.jpg

Come on man. Flying and app freezes? Have to google to figure out why? I own many DJI drones. They obviously haven't fixed this yet? Why should one have to search and read through "fixes" just to fly a cheap drone. Tired of being a beta tester for DJI. iPhone 6S Plus.
Android works.

Same problem with iPhone 5s and iPad Pro, I had arranged to replace the Tello tomorrow, should have looked at this thread first. Used chat this evening, Ryze support are aware of the issue and they hope to fix it in the next firmware upgrade - hope! No eta for when this is liable to be released, they suggested that I use an android device in the meantime!

Update: replacement Tello obtained, updated firmware, reset, removed/replaced battery. Flys fine, no lock ups as yet. Low light warning seems to be on more than with original Tello!

Last edited:
I just bought my Tello (11/23/2018) and I had the freeze issue with my iPhone 8. I downloaded the latest firmware and updated my Tello with it and it records without freezing now. i haver firmware 01.04.35.01

Reactions: Zeno
Brand new Tello, did a firmware update and latest app software for iPhone X.. didn’t find this group until after first flight and error discovered. Luckily I restricted the altitude to 2 metres and flew indoors for first flight. As soon as I tried video recording the app crashed and my nice new Tello hovered at 2 metres totally out of control from the app. I stood on a chair and pulled it down - no damage done. Turning off location services and reinstalling all s/w does workaround the bug ( as described in this thread) but if not fixed very soon the Tello reluctantly goes back to PC World for refund!

Last edited:
Brand new Tello, did a firmware update and latest app software for iPhone X.. didn’t find this group until after first flight and error discovered. Luckily I restricted the altitude to 2 metres and flew indoors for first flight. As soon as I tried video recording the app crashed and my nice new Tello hovered at 2 metres totally out of control from the app. I stood on a chair and pulled it down - no damage done. Turning off location services and reinstalling all s/w does workaround the bug ( as described in this thread) but if not fixed very soon the Tello reluctantly goes back to PC World for refund!
Tello is awesome drone... if you know what you're doing and it's limitations...tello is demanding high tech toy drone

Tello is awesome drone... if you know what you're doing and it's limitations...tello is demanding high tech toy drone
I agree. The technology in this little drone is amazing. I can’t understand though, why about 4 weeks after distributing this software update, there is no formal info, warning or fix. There’s plenty of clear, easy to reproduce feedback. I was lucky but at least one other person on this thread nearly lost his Tello due to this major error. P.S, the workaround is good enough that I’ll keep it but don’t tell the s/w developers!

Hi Guys, i come from indonesia, bought Tello 24/11/18, same issue that app freezed when i try to save video. i used iPhone 7 and iPad Pro, try so many ways before and it still crashed.

1. lower your bitrate to 1mb, its make the app not freezed but lower your video quality :(

then i noticed that when app stop record and going freezed, tello seems to “lost” connection signal to app (appear the yellow light blinking fast) so i try second choice :

2. Use mi-wifi repeater , its works well but i lost my connection, app freezed again when my tello is 10m away?.. sucks

when i get this forum, i will try to reinstall and turn off my location service. might this work. keep sharing guys. dont forget to visit bali sometimes (bali is indonesia ?) -tom-

Attachments

• 78EBB417-6384-4244-9786-A62C3EB6B1F2.jpeg
    78EBB417-6384-4244-9786-A62C3EB6B1F2.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 7

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv