Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

NEW DJI TELLO EDU DRONE RELEASED TODAY!

clay347

Reaction score
Hey TELLO pilots I just seen where RYZE/DJI released the new TELLO EDU DRONE today for $129.00 on the DJI WEBSITE AND THE APPLE WEBSITE it seems to be geared towards writing programs for it has anyone else seen it? GOD BLESS!

Reactions: raulvolador
So except of programming capabilities no major change
The day that they will have a Brush-less motors with on board SD slot..... I will be glad to pay more $$ for that !
As i am NOT a programmer and would NOT like to go into programming..
Nothing New actually....Bottom line

Guy

Reactions: Jonan82
I have a TELLO and am interested in learning if there is any difference between the TELLO and the TELLO EDU. Are the programming capabilities better on the TELLO EDU than the TELLO? I plan on calling DJI today to get some answers and if I find out will get back to you. Stay tuned....

I love the whole idea of using the "fun" of the drone as a vehicle for STEM and to introduce kids to programming and applied/mathematical logic. Great job RYZE/DJI!

After doing a bit of Internet research, I found out the difference between the TELLO and the TELLO EDU. The TELLO EDU adds Python and Apple's SWIFT programming capability to SCRATCH (which comes with the TELLO). It includes four 'mission pads' so users can program choreographed routines or use them to trigger particular actions. Users can also access the video stream date from its HD camera and do more advanced features like gesture controls. Lastly, the TELLO EDU has the ability to program a swarm of several drones via WI-FI to make them do a choreographed sky dance. Remember the Olympics Opening Ceremony? More information can be found at Ryze Tech Launches New Programmable Tello EDU Drone

I think the differences are mainly on software:
  • Control a swarm of Tellos - probably has different networking method
  • Mission Pads - just object detection / image classification
  • Posture Detection - just load some pre-trained models and use the existing processor to process the video
I tried to run the code in dji-sdk/Tello-Python with my TELLO, only the first "Single_Tello_Test" works. The video examples complains something about libh264decoder. Will try again later.

My understanding (which could be wrong!) is that the TELLO doesn't support PYTHON programming so you need the TELLO EDU. Not sure though. Let us all know if it eventually works on the TELLO. Thanks for the feedback.

I think they are planning for this EDU version, so the normal version does not support python. But since the community has already cracked their protocol (hanyazou/TelloPy), they may release support of python to gain back the control of the development. Just my 2 cents.

I don’t know much about programing, but can’t Ryze just update the firmware to accept python code? If that’s possible, then that colored black mat is worth $30 according to Ryze.

As I understand it, the hardware is exactly the same.

I have run through the Python code and have run the video example on the Tello and it works well. This for me is a great step forward since we now have a full explanation of the video stream and how to decode it.

I have not got this working yet but the Tello_Video(With_Pose_Recognition) looks like it can provide gesture commands to the control of the Tello.

So the original Tello with up to date firmware can be controlled using the Python sample code.

I just read the FAQs for Tello EDU. Was sad to learn you have to pay for extras.3EAB38CA-27FF-4495-AC19-7AD51E751055.jpeg

Yes, the Tello EDU does charge for the game mode.
The Tello EDU app works with the Tello.
I agree that it is disappointing that the game mode (learning blocks programming) is a paid extra.

I just downloaded it and ran a quick and easy code. It was lots of fun. That being said, it wasn’t as precise with the distance. If I were to run a swarm, unless all of them measure incorrectly, they will crash into each other.
95057037-7D90-43F2-981E-8172B55C4CC6.png

I just downloaded it and ran a quick and easy code. It was lots of fun. That being said, it wasn’t as precise with the distance. If I were to run a swarm, unless all of them measure incorrectly, they will crash into each other.
View attachment 2063

It's a little strange that they released the Tello EDU app under a different company / developer.
Anyway, the Scratch programming function is already available in the DroneBlocks app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.unmannedairlines.droneblocks
Seems they are in a hurry to release a series of "official" apps to fight other compatible apps.

I asked Ryze tech support about the difference and the answer was Tello EDU drone has different hardware and firmware specifications compared to Tello drone.

My background is building and programming robots. I was about to purchase a Tello but will probably wait until I have more info on the Edu model.

One of my questions is if the Edu model is hooked on Apple products and I do not own any.

Hey TELLO pilots I just seen where RYZE/DJI released the new TELLO EDU DRONE today for $129.00 on the DJI WEBSITE AND THE APPLE WEBSITE it seems to be geared towards writing programs for it has anyone else seen it? GOD BLESS!
120 dollar really ill just buy tello again or another drones... there's a lot of free program apps ... just save your money...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv