Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

New Tello battery not charging and can't update firmware under 50%...any ideas?

goldpanpete

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I have a new Tello and upon opening it up, the battery won't charge when plugged in. I've tried different USB cables and none have brought up the blue light for charging, but I've gotten the green and then red flashing, then to a solid red.

I've been able to connect to the Tello App, and have downloaded the firmware update, but can't install it because the battery is below 50%. It's kind of a catch-22...as apparently the firmware update will fix the charging issue, but can't do the firmware update without a charged battery.

Anybody have any work-arounds that they could share?

Thanks in advance!

- try another or new Tello battery
- use a different USB charger
- do not use a USB charger with a special fast charging function
- try another Tello battery charger, this one or this one

Can you name the serial number, you can tell how old the Tello and the battery are, or look at the packaging next to the barcode, maybe the battery is too old and defective.

I wish you success

Thanks for the advice. I've sent it back to the company I bought it from to them to have a look! Fingers crossed!

Olá a todos,

Eu tenho um novo Tello e ao abri-lo, a bateria não carrega quando conectado. Eu tentei diferentes cabos USB e nenhum acendeu a luz azul para carregar, mas eu obtive o verde e depois o vermelho piscando , então para um vermelho sólido.

Consegui me conectar ao aplicativo Tello e baixei a atualização do firmware, mas não consigo instalar porque a bateria está abaixo de 50%. É meio complicado ... já que aparentemente a atualização do firmware corrigirá o problema de carregamento, mas não pode fazer a atualização do firmware sem uma bateria carregada.

Alguém tem alguma solução que possa compartilhar?

Desde já, obrigado!

Happens exactely the same to me:

I have the standard firmware problem (turn Tello on, get one shot of green light, then some flashing red lights and then drone is dead), so I try the reset procedure to update firmware keeping pressed the power-on button...green led stays on for some seconds then turns off, I release the power button and the led keeps blinking red...now I can connect to the drone's wifi to update firmware...but it always tells me I got less than 50% battery (even with brand new battery fully charged with external charger) -.-

Anybody knows a way to fix this please?

O meu está da mesma forma. Levei em uma loja de conserto de drones e verificaram que o problema não é na bateria. Vão verificar se o problema é na placa.
Levei no sábado dia 31/01/2021

Oi pessoal,

Eu tenho um novo Tello e ao abri-lo, a bateria não carrega quando conectado. Eu tentei diferentes cabos USB e nenhum acendeu a luz azul para carregar, mas eu obtive o verde e depois o vermelho piscando , então para um vermelho sólido.

Consegui me conectar ao aplicativo Tello e baixei a atualização do firmware, mas não consigo instalar porque a bateria está abaixo de 50%. É meio complicado ... já que aparentemente a atualização do firmware corrigirá o problema de carregamento, mas não pode fazer a atualização do firmware sem uma bateria carregada.

Alguém tem alguma solução que possa compartilhar?

Desde já, obrigado!
Entra em contato comigo pelo whatsapp (61)98176-1690

hi there, i had the same problem and i came up with the solution. The real problem is the app, to update te firmware you need to install the tello app v1.1.1 (you can find it online) and a charge battery.
Without the battery press and hold the power buttom and conect the charger, keep holdin the power buttom and insert the battery, when the green led turn off release the power buttom. It will turn a pulsing red light, connect the tello to your device and procede to install the firmware from the app.
this work for me and i hope works for you.
sorry about my inglish i´m from argentina

Reactions: robert c
YEAHHHHH, thanks for the suggestion, works also for me and finally fixed this mess!!!

Just to summarize:
- delete the original Tello App from your phone
- download the 1.1.1 version (link here Download Tello 1.1.1 Android APK) straight on your mobile device
- install the App just by opening the downloaded APK file and then open the App
- download through the App the latest firmware
- with a full charged battery, turn on the Tello drone in "reset mode" (keep pressed the power-on button until green led stays on, then when the light turns off release the power button: now the led keeps blinking red and you can connect to the drone's wifi)
- connect the drone to the App and install the new firmware on it (now you will not receive the "less than 50% battery" error!!!!!!!)
- the drone is now correctly working again, so you can also delete the V1.1.1 App and install the latest one from the App store ;)

ENJOY

Hi Everyone,

I have a new Tello and upon opening it up, the battery won't charge when plugged in. I've tried different USB cables and none have brought up the blue light for charging, but I've gotten the green and then red flashing, then to a solid red.

I've been able to connect to the Tello App, and have downloaded the firmware update, but can't install it because the battery is below 50%. It's kind of a catch-22...as apparently the firmware update will fix the charging issue, but can't do the firmware update without a charged battery.

Anybody have any work-arounds that they could share?

Thanks in advance!
I contacted DJI help, and after many emails they helped. I insisted it was a software problem and explained that many people on this forum are reporting the same issue. They insisted several times that I had to send the drone in for repair, but I kept insisting it was a software issue and asked them to refer me to someone else that could help. After several emails they finally sent me an APK file with a version that worked on an android phone from xiaomi. I followed the instructions to update firmware and problem solved. The App version is 1.4.0.0.

• Wow
Reactions: agraham
I contacted DJI help, and after many emails they helped. I insisted it was a software problem and explained that many people on this forum are reporting the same issue. They insisted several times that I had to send the drone in for repair, but I kept insisting it was a software issue and asked them to refer me to someone else that could help. After several emails they finally sent me an APK file with a version that worked on an android phone from xiaomi. I followed the instructions to update firmware and problem solved. The App version is 1.4.0.0.
Where can I find the workable app version for my iPhone? Similar problems with overheat, Imu calibration and firmware crash when I updated firmware. thx Ken

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv