Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

New Tello floats away

gperez1013

Reaction score
hello I just got my new tello on Friday Nov 23rd and did a firmware update and when I start it it starts floating away I don't have control with my cell - using a s8 - I am using it in my apartment building - could it be interference with other wifi ?
also should I put a password on my tell wifi ??
thanks excited to be part of this drone world .

thanks Pilots !

Reactions: dirkclod
hello I just got my new tello on Friday Nov 23rd and did a firmware update and when I start it it starts floating away I don't have control with my cell - using a s8 - I am using it in my apartment building - could it be interference with other wifi ?

thanks Pilots !
It floats away probably because your floor doesn't have any patterns, for the sensors to identify. Try placing a bunch of things in the floor and see if it stays put. You aren't required to put a password, but it gives peace of mind to do. I am also a Galaxy S8 flier, so ask any questions you may have.

It floats away probably because your floor doesn't have any patterns, for the sensors to identify. Try placing a bunch of things in the floor and see if it stays put. You aren't required to put a password, but it gives peace of mind to do. I am also a Galaxy S8 flier, so ask any questions you may have.
ok thanks for that point - its a wood floor - I will keep trying and I will add password just to be sure. thanks

It floats away probably because your floor doesn't have any patterns, for the sensors to identify. Try placing a bunch of things in the floor and see if it stays put. You aren't required to put a password, but it gives peace of mind to do.

Nailed it! on both counts... an irregular pattern works best, and no password required

Reactions: Ansia

thanks Pilots !
Welcome to the forum .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching . Thumbswayup

While it's not a requirement, I would highly recommend it. Even in flight, the drone's built in access point continues to allow new connections. I have connected as many as 3 devices at once, 2 running the Tello app and both receiving video. I was not able to take control from the app that had control first, but I only tried this once. The good thing is, unlike some other smart drones, this one appears to be locked down to some degree, and doesn't allow simple connections like telnet, as an Nmap scan only revealed one open port, 9999, and I could not get a response from whatever process was listening on that port, most likely because it requires some sort of security. That means one can't easily gain access to the onboard OS (probably BusyBox), so they have taken some effort to secure this it seems. I really haven't tried any more advanced techniques to gain elevated access, but being able to connect more than one controller at once and receive video on them presents enough of a security risk to me, but then combine that with the fact that if you leave it powered on while charging, you've just given anyone with an Android or iOS device a free peek into your home, that is enough to compel me to password protect the access point.

UPDATE: I can no longer get dual video feeds, it was either a fluke, or one feed was frozen because of a WiFi drop or something. In any event, use a password!

Last edited:
Reactions: umanbean

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccer843