Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

New Tello owner

Yeah I have the house.... kids are all grown, my youngest is 37 ( chuckle ) been flying around the house... but looking forward to further testing outside, weather has not cooperated. I can fly it in fast mode on the Tello App but that is a bit shaky in this wind, .... I think I will wait. Thank you for all your help

Just looked that up, not sure why that should worry me, I will be contacting the airport whenever I fly within 5 mines ( have already installed Be4UFly and Airmaps ) , and the DJI zones are tighter even than that. I see how that could be a problem for some, but probably will not be a problem for me. I am just flying for fun, and the last thing I want to do is be flying that close to an airport, in a national park or what have you. I may be misunderstanding what you meant. But from what I have seen, I will not have an issue with that where I live.

I've heard enough negative stories (NFZ where there was no need for one, changes in fencing that were unannounced and unexpected, etc.) that it raised my concern. Beyond that, if you decided to take things to another level and go 107 the idea that you would have to get authorization from the FAA and DJI just rubs me the wrong way. This issue isn't trying to violate airspace rules but being prevented to fly within the rules or having a private, foreign entity exercising control over U.S. airspace. Of course having companies that can provide DJI some competition is probably a good thing for the consumer.

I've heard enough negative stories (NFZ where there was no need for one, changes in fencing that were unannounced and unexpected, etc.) that it raised my concern. Beyond that, if you decided to take things to another level and go 107 the idea that you would have to get authorization from the FAA and DJI just rubs me the wrong way. This issue isn't trying to violate airspace rules but being prevented to fly within the rules or having a private, foreign entity exercising control over U.S. airspace. Of course having companies that can provide DJI some competition is probably a good thing for the consumer.

I have looked at becoming an official drone pilot, but from what I have read in the last few days there are more limitations there than as a drone Hobbyist. So I dont mind calling the airport ( I did that every time I flew my balloon, ( I am a former Hot Air Balloon Pilot ) so that is no big deal. I will probably just stick to hobbyist. Easier that way, fewer rules, just get clearance if you are outside and within 5 miles and you are good to go.

But I do get your point on the DSI no fly, I get that can be a problem

I have looked at becoming an official drone pilot, but from what I have read in the last few days there are more limitations there than as a drone Hobbyist. So I dont mind calling the airport ( I did that every time I flew my balloon, ( I am a former Hot Air Balloon Pilot ) so that is no big deal. I will probably just stick to hobbyist. Easier that way, fewer rules, just get clearance if you are outside and within 5 miles and you are good to go.

But I do get your point on the DSI no fly, I get that can be a problem

Just because you have your 107 doesn't mean you always have to fly under your 107 license. The 107 allows you to fly for commercial purposes. You can still exercise your privileges to fly as a hobbiest under hobbies rules.

Just because you have your 107 doesn't mean you always have to fly under your 107 license. The 107 allows you to fly for commercial purposes. You can still exercise your privileges to fly as a hobbiest under hobbies rules.
I get that, I am just not sure when I ever would fly under 107, but we will see.. I can always change my mind

I get that, I am just not sure when I ever would fly under 107, but we will see.. I can always change my mind

Actually the reason I got the 107 was my sense that flying drones is going to continue to go in the direction of more regulation and restrictions. There is already legislation in the works that will require you to take a aeronautical knowledge test even to fly recreationally. Since you're a balloon pilot you probably already know most of the stuff on the 107 test so it wouldn't take a lot of additional study. Something to consider.

In the meantime enjoy the Tello. It's a lot of fun.

There is that, and this afternoon my neighbor saw my drone and told me if I ever get a larger one as I expect, he would like me to do some video for his properties.... which of course would require me to get my licence. LOL that was fast

There is that, and this afternoon my neighbor saw my drone and told me if I ever get a larger one as I expect, he would like me to do some video for his properties.... which of course would require me to get my licence. LOL that was fast

If you're in the U.S. (not sure what the laws are elsewhere), you are not being compensated in any way and your neighbor is simply using the video for his pleasure (not for selling the property or any financial gain) then you don't need a 107 for the flight. But say you shot the video and a year from now your neighbor decides to sell the property and uses the video in the promotion of the sale you're not in violation of the law since the original intent of shooting the video was simply enjoyment.

Nope checked the law if it is in the promotion of any business whether I take money or not, 107 applies ( his is a business )

Nope checked the law if it is in the promotion of any business whether I take money or not, 107 applies ( his is a business )

That is incorrect. The fact that you have a 107 does not mean all of your flying is in promotion of a business. Flying my Tello in my backyard has nothing to do with promoting a business. It's the same as if you have a CDL. You're a professional commercial driver but when you're driving to church on Sunday or taking you grandkids to the movies it is NOT commercial driving.

That is incorrect. The fact that you have a 107 does not mean all of your flying is in promotion of a business. Flying my Tello in my backyard has nothing to do with promoting a business. It's the same as if you have a CDL. You're a professional commercial driver but when you're driving to church on Sunday or taking you grandkids to the movies it is NOT commercial driving.

I know the law, I was a Hot Air Balloon pilot and we had to deal with that, if it is in the promotion of a business in any way, even if you are not taking money personally it, it applies

I know the law, I was a Hot Air Balloon pilot and we had to deal with that, if it is in the promotion of a business in any way, even if you are not taking money personally it, it applies

Again, the critical element (which I fully understand) is the phrase "in promotion of a business". There are many folks (like myself) that have a 107 but aren't involved in any business related to flying a drone, don't advertise that the have a 107 and have no intention of flying commercially.

I think the issue on your part regarding Hot Air Balloons is that you were involved in commercial flying so any flying you did could be considered promotion of a business.

Again, the critical element (which I fully understand) is the phrase "in promotion of a business".
You keep saying that but, I'm sorry, it is just not correct.

The way the laws are written if you fly for ANY reason that is not hobby-related, you need a 107.... commercial, professional, money, promotion of a business, and all the other words you've been using - none of that has anything to do with the difference between hobby and 107.

The only thing that makes a difference between Hobby and a 107 flight is the INTENT of the flight at the time of the flight.

You keep saying that but, I'm sorry, it is just not correct.

The way the laws are written if you fly for ANY reason that is not hobby-related, you need a 107.... commercial, professional, money, promotion of a business, and all the other words you've been using - none of that has anything to do with the difference between hobby and 107.

The only thing that makes a difference between Hobby and a 107 flight is the INTENT of the flight at the time of the flight.

And intent is exactly my point. You can have a 107 and yet the intent of a particular flight is totally recreational. Now while if you performing that flight you are wearing a tee shirt with your company logo on it might be interpreted as a commercial advertisement. But if you're not involved in commercial flying or there is nothing that could be interpreted as you advertising your business while doing the flying I don't see how that flight could be seen as a flight under 107 rules. You seem to be making the point that simply having a 107 means the intent of every flight is somehow commercial in nature. That is not the case.

Now I can understand that is you're flying hot air balloons commercial any flight of a hot air balloon might be considered a advertisement for your commercial hot air balloon business although I think even that is a stretch. The idea that flying a drone in my backyard is advertising I have a 107 and doing it for commercial purposes is a stretch beyond rational thinking, just like driving my grandkids to the movies wouldn't be advertising I have a CDL and I'm looking for business.

BTW, you used the phrase "in promotion of a business". I borrowed that phrase from you.

there is no point in us arguing this further

I'm not arguing, I'm reasoning. You're claiming that once you have your 107 all your flying is viewed as commercial flying in the promotion of business. That is not true. Having the 107 means you can fly for compensation following 107 rules. It does not prevent you from flying for recreation under rules for hobbies. I know nothing about the rules for hot air balloons but if that is true for hot air balloons you're mistaken in believing that rule transfers over to flying drones.

Reactions: umanbean
I'm not arguing, I'm reasoning. You're claiming that once you have your 107 all your flying is viewed as commercial flying in the promotion of business. That is not true. Having the 107 means you can fly for compensation following 107 rules. It does not prevent you from flying for recreation under rules for hobbies. I know nothing about the rules for hot air balloons but if that is true for hot air balloons you're mistaken in believing that rule transfers over to flying drones.

I understand, you are talking about how it should work, I am talking about how it actually does, and how the FAA actually look at it. Not that they enforce at that level all the time, but it is true all the same.

Last edited:
As mentioned in the first video the key phrase is "in promotion of a business". I think there has to be rational argument that a particular flight is in promotion of a business in order to claim the flight is under 107 rules. We can agree to disagree on that but I think the FAA would be hard pressed to be able to make a rational argument that my flying a drone in my backyard taking pictures of my family is in any way connected with promoting a business I have no intention of even starting. That might be an easier argument to make when it comes to hot air balloons versus a small drone.

BTW, here is an informative thread on another forum regarding this issue that you might find interesting:

Hobbiest versus Commercial Flying

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv