Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Onboard antenna as extender?

dood

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I saw some of you had 2 Xiaomi extender - one on the ground, and the other one attached on Tello via usb port (as power source).

I got a Lego adapter so my idea was to buy a simple light antenna usb extender like this:
or this

and glue that to small Lego block and the put that Lego block on Lego adapter (so its removable).

Just wanted to ask first if anyone tested something like that with a real antenna, and not Xiaomi PCB board instead? I'm concerned about the wight and center of gravity when flying.

But on the other hand if I connect my phone to first extender on the ground, and then that ground extenter to onboard antenna, and then that antenna to Tello I might get more range and better video stream? Just an idea...

If it wont work I would just remove the antenna and reconnect ground extender directly to Tello, without the antenna onboard.

What do you think? Any recommendations for small usb antenna extenders? I would remove all the unnecessary parts like plastic covers from the antenna extender so I don't have additional weight.

One thing to keep in mind - I'm not looking for a USB antenna WIFI adapter - that would be something you connect to a PC if you (for some reason) don't have an internal WLAN installed. Like a WIFI card.

Hi guys,

I saw some of you had 2 Xiaomi extender - one on the ground, and the other one attached on Tello via usb port (as power source).

I got a Lego adapter so my idea was to buy a simple light antenna usb extender like this:

What do you think? Any recommendations for small usb antenna extenders? I would remove all the unnecessary parts like plastic covers from the antenna extender so I don't have additional weight.

I did something similar with a d-link dmg-112a (Easiest +200m mod? Onboard with the D-Link DMG-112A ) which I later put on a lego adapter. It stuck about 5cm/2in above, and the adapter itself was about 20gr, +10gr for cable and adapter. I took the guards and top cover off to save some weight, and it was stable. That said, I did not loop/flip with it attached.

But yeah, the lego adapter is quite fine for that kind of use. The trickiest part is to run the OTG cable to the port.

Make sure you'll post some pic's of your final build!

Fly Safe - NoDecaf

I did something similar with a d-link dmg-112a (Easiest +200m mod? Onboard with the D-Link DMG-112A ) which I later put on a lego adapter. It stuck about 5cm/2in above, and the adapter itself was about 20gr, +10gr for cable and adapter. I took the guards and top cover off to save some weight, and it was stable. That said, I did not loop/flip with it attached.

But yeah, the lego adapter is quite fine for that kind of use. The trickiest part is to run the OTG cable to the port.

Make sure you'll post some pic's of your final build!

Fly Safe - NoDecaf

Thanks!

I'll think I'll order some antennas and try to patch something up.

I'll post here what I did :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Madrid