Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Overheating at rest

jgraves

Reaction score
All,

I just purchased a Tello. I love it.

But, when the drone is sitting at rest, it turns itself off after about 1 minute and reports back that it has overheated. This seems odd to me. Why would it overheat at rest? Did I get a bad drone?

If indeed this is an issue, I assume the camera is causing the heatup while at rest. Is there any way to turn off the camera?

I want to setup the Tello to be waiting for an event, then do some tricks using the API. If it overheats and turns off after 1 minute, this won't work at all!

Help?

-John

Reactions: radugsix
I had this happen the first time attepmted to fly it. I guess I took too much time fiddling with the app before taking off?? Not sure what causes it, however there are also the 2 sensors on the belly of the Tello. Maybe it was assumed that flight would keep it from overheating. That's just my speculation.

Reactions: jgraves
Thanks for the reply. I'm just trying to verify if this is "normal" behaviour or do I have a bad drone.

Will someone please try this and let me know if this is "normal"?

Turn on Tello and connect. Don't fly. Wait for a minute or two. See if it shuts off due to overheat.

Thanks.

Crazy! This is a poor design. I hope future firmware upgrades deal with this. I'm fine with it shutting off the camera and sensors until a takeoff command is issued.

Reactions: gl3nborj and Xtian
I just had my Tello sitting on the kitchen worktop connected to the app for seven minutes without issue (I just tapped the screen occasionally to stop the phone going to sleep). I stopped at this point as nothing was happening not because the drone shutdown. It was warm but not hot.

I would contact support and see what they say. They have always responded very quickly for me.

Please let us know what they say.

Reactions: jgraves
Thanks EvoHF. Perhaps I'll try an exchange. Perhaps mine is just faulty.

FYI, I opened a support case and asked them consider fixing this. There should be several ways to do it.

FYI, I opened a support case and asked them consider fixing this. There should be several ways to do it.
Cool. I'm interested to hear what they say. Still curious if it's every Tello or just a minority that overheats? I may contact them as well.

I have found out that laying it on carpeting or rugs will cause it to warm up very quickly. It has never shut down on me but i did not let it sit long enough to. I was afraid that it might burn up the board so i would say try laying it on some other type of surface.

Reactions: Tellojockey
I have found out that laying it on carpeting or rugs will cause it to warm up very quickly. It has never shut down on me but i did not let it sit long enough to. I was afraid that it might burn up the board so i would say try laying it on some other type of surface.

It was on my kitchen counter and my place has hard floors on the main level so I always start on a flat, hard and level surface. I agree that on a rug or carpet would make it heat up faster, I haven't tested this though since it already would overheat on a flat, hard surface.

Go Long With the Tello and the Xiaomi MI WiFi Extender ...

See near the end of the video where they put a Tello on a fan.

Maybe they have a defective unit as well or perhaps this is the norm and some get lucky with the anomalous unit that doesn't overheat? Jury is still out.

I had this happen the first time attepmted to fly it. I guess I took too much time fiddling with the app before taking off?? Not sure what causes it, however there are also the 2 sensors on the belly of the Tello. Maybe it was assumed that flight would keep it from overheating. That's just my speculation.

It could be the sensors that are causing the problem since they are light emitting, it maybe causing the issue when sitting at a rest and warming up the tello.

Mine also gives the overheating warning after a few minutes at rest. I figure it's such a compact design that there's not much room for heat dissipation with the battery sitting above the control board.

I have a friend that uses a small desk fan that points vertically, just sets the Tello on it for a few minuites, works fine. think i've got one somewhere, they all get warm(hot) sitting still that I have seen.

I tried the desk fan and it works.

It goes for about an hour and fifteen minutes before the battery goes flat.

The support people came back to me and said this is just how it is. There is no way to prevent this overheating. I'm still shocked.

This reminds me of the first time I asked the Australian post office to hold my mail for vacation. They charged me about $50. I said, "Let me get this straight, you are charging me to NOT deliver my mail! Maybe I should pay the kid next door $50 to NOT mow my lawn!" :D

-John

Be careful, the Tello can overheat even during the firmware upgrade process!! I did a test flight after the update, and the Tello shut off MID-AIR (!!!!!) because of overheating!!! Fell down the floor from 1m height...

Reactions: gl3nborj

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv