Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Panning

Ish

Reaction score
Hi All-

I am new to this forum, so please forgive me if this topic has been discussed before. I searched and did not find the answer I was looking for.

I am considering purchasing a Tello and I'm hoping to use it for some aerial photography and videos. I've noticed in the videos I've watched that when the camera pans it is jerky and somewhat awkward looking. Is that accurate? Is there a way to pan smoothly? I like most of what I've read on this guy and I think it'll work for me, I'm just wondering if this is the best option for video at thisprice point.

Thanks all!

Hi All-

I am new to this forum, so please forgive me if this topic has been discussed before. I searched and did not find the answer I was looking for.

I am considering purchasing a Tello and I'm hoping to use it for some aerial photography and videos. I've noticed in the videos I've watched that when the camera pans it is jerky and somewhat awkward looking. Is that accurate? Is there a way to pan smoothly? I like most of what I've read on this guy and I think it'll work for me, I'm just wondering if this is the best option for video at thisprice point.

Thanks all!
I noticed that too in parts of my own videos with the Tello. You can get it to pan more slowly with some stick work but if you jam the controller left or right it will jerk.

Hi All-

Thanks all!
I have found two ways.
Both use the aTello Pillot app (u$ 5 at the store)

1) It allows you to trim the left joystick, so if you force the "yaw" trim to one side, Tello wil start to "pan"
2) This app, has a functionality called " head tracking" that makes Tello turn the same way your cel phone does.
I think that this is the best for your need.
Link:

PingguSoft/aTelloPilot

I have similar need, and have asked to aTello Pilot developer, to ad a way in the app to reduce the efect of the yaw joystick, so I can make a video flying turns arround points of interest.

The stuttering movement during a pan is caused by the image stabilization. It's a pretty unsophisticated algorithm that doesn't seem to include control inputs as a parameter, to allow optical flow across the moving direction.

You can get rid of the jerking during a pan by switching to FAST mode, which turns off the image stabilization. The pan will be smoother in the yaw axis at the expense of wobble in the pitch and roll axes as the bird tries to hold position.

However, under very still conditions where drone can just hover without having to compensate for wind, you can do very nice, smooth pans. Done it, I'll see if I can find any junk footage from when I was playing with this exact operation.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
97bugsinthecode