Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

PROBLEM CONNECTING PHONE TO DRONE

There is no demo for aTellopilot, but you can always buy and an app and get a refund within the first two hours. This is a general Google play store rule and handled automatically.
However I never got any of the special features to work reliably.
yeah, I may do that if I keep the Tello. I generally try to avoid those sorts of tactics, but with no preview I don't have much of a choice.

Let's not be too hasty on declaring him as having disappeared. His last couple posts were at the end of December, one of which expressed the desire to keep up with volate!lo's progress. There have been holidays, flu season, you never know if there was an emergency, etc. plus let's not forget that even app developers have families, full-time jobs, and other hobbies. It's pretty reasonable for him to not have made any update-worthy progress in a month.
I understand that, but this is not the first time he disappears. Last time was for around 4-5 months. In my opinion, that is a long time to leave your customers stranded, and people tend to move on. I love aTelloPilot and I still use it from time to time, but I prefer a developer who is a little bit more active like @volate!lo and his app TelloFPV.

When I started the only options were OEM Tello app, aTello, & aTelloPilot.

OEM app was fine, but I didn't feel like purchasing a new controller, just to justify Ryze. aTello was abandoned by the owner and I didn't like the garbage that appeared on the screen, when there was signal problems. My last hope was aTelloPilot, which had the video feed of OEM and the controller support of aTello. I was very happy. I hardly, if ever, use the extra functions. I use my Tello for ATTI flying and a picture here and there. Although by then, @bluejune was already coming and going.

When TelloFPV came along, I tried almost all of the versions @volate!lo released but didn't purchased it, until I felt it was mature enough to replace aTello Pilot. Once it did became mature enough, the other obstacle was convincing the boss lady, but that's a story for another time.

Anyways to conclude my essay, I love both apps, but if @bluejune won't keep taking care of his app, it's a matter of time before I leave him for TelloFPV, unless he adds Gravity Calibration. Then I'm all his. :LOL::ROFLMAO:

Bluejune is still around, last seen on Wednesday according to the forum list. If he is working in the background, or has abandoned the app, is unclear.

But folks should not expect too much from a developer. He created a software and delivered it to the user. At that point the developer's job is done and the money earned. Its not his obligation to stay around forever and fix issues, support users or provide just one single update.
Most developers do stay around and maintain for some time, but once a market is close to saturated and doesn't provide a meaningful return anymore they just move on. The only viable alternative would be a monthly subscription to provide stable income for continued development and support, but nobody buys into that.

TelloFpv will share the same fate some time in the future, that's just a normal process for all apps.

Bluejune is still around, last seen on Wednesday according to the forum list. If he is working in the background, or has abandoned the app, is unclear.

But folks should not expect too much from a developer. He created a software and delivered it to the user. At that point the developer's job is done and the money earned. Its not his obligation to stay around forever and fix issues, support users or provide just one single update.
Most developers do stay around and maintain for some time, but once a market is close to saturated and doesn't provide a meaningful return anymore they just move on. The only viable alternative would be a monthly subscription to provide stable income for continued development and support, but nobody buys into that.

TelloFpv will share the same fate some time in the future, that's just a normal process for all apps.
Hopefully by then I've destroyed my Tello in an unspeakable crash and moved on into other drones.

Reactions: volate!lo
Today I tried to use my Samsung tablet to fly the tello. But never would connect. Had no problem connecting with my LG phone. The app on the tablet kept asking if I was in Airplane mode of which I wasn't. What did I miss in making a connection?

Today I tried to use my Samsung tablet to fly the tello. But never would connect. Had no problem connecting with my LG phone. The app on the tablet kept asking if I was in Airplane mode of which I wasn't. What did I miss in making a connection?
Make sure you open the app before connecting to the tello wifi

Activate airplane mode, then turn on wifi again, connect to tello's wifi.

The reason: Tello's wifi does not offer internet access, so your device redirects _all_ traffic to the network interface that does have internet access (cellular data in this case).

Activated airplane mode, then wifi. Still keeps asking if I'm in airplane mode. Still no connection. Message reads Internet may not be available, connect to another network. I'm clueless.

Last edited:
Activated airplane mode, then wifi. Still keeps asking if I'm in airplane mode. Still no connection. Message reads Internet may not be available, connect to another network. I'm clueless.

This is normal Android networking, depending on the ROM. If you see this, then mark the checkbox and click yes. Otherwise the connection to Tello is not used even if Wifi says its connected...

1550941697529.png

Dear TEllo pilots,
I've also bought a Tello. Connecting the phone [Oneplus 7 pro] seems impossible. Although wifi says I'connected the app isn't. I had contact with the helpdesk, they suggested to buy another phone?????? When I start up the Tello my phone finds the wifi from the Tello directly. Problem remains evenso with my Samsung tablet. Connected in Wifi but the orange light keeps on flashing. Tried it out of the app but problem remains.
Considering of sending it back. Hope someone can help me.
Greetings Aedriaen

I had a similar problem and figured out the specifics from multiple forum threads. Unfortunately I can't find the user that really gave me the most precise information.

I was pretty disappointed on Christmas morning when my kid couldn't use his drone at all becuse the app didn't seem to work on either of my brand new Android devices. I eventually found an old iPad and it worked on there, and I gradually figured this out from the forums over the next few weeks. I'm not sure if this is accurate but it helped me figure this out. This was the explanation another user gave:

When you connect the Tello to your typical new Android device using the default steps, it, of course disconnects your existing wireless connection, assuming you have one. However the Tello obviously isn't providing an actual internet connection like your main wireless device is, and you even get a warning as such. The Android phone tries to be smart and says "Well that connection isn't much use, but I can get Internet through my data connection anyway, so I'll just go ahead and disable that."

This is why so many users report success after turning on airplane mode, then turning WiFi back on, and Bluetooth back on if you have a controller. However, if the above paragraph is true, why not just turn data off on the cellular connection. So I tried that this morning and it worked like a charm. My wife can still call and yet the apps all work. It's still a pain, but for me, simply turning data off on the cellular connection on my Android phone will allow the apps to work, and leaving data on ensures I don't actually get a connection to the Tello even if I try. So that's my experience (Pixel 3A XL).

Please post if that works for you.

Switching off cellular has the same effect as airplane mode & wifi activation.

but some devices have a background process checking network connectivity. This process causes a bit of stutter in the live feed every 2 seconds or so. That process is off in airplane mode.

To check if pixel has the same:
Switch off bluetooth and cellular before connecting. Let tello rotate and watch the live feed. I have breakups every 1-2 seconds on my Samsung devices.
Now get into airplane mode and re-activate only wifi to test again. Now the video feed is super smooth.

Just to be clear, what I was saying above is that I found I don't have to switch cellular off entirely, just cellular data (Internet through cellular). That way I can still get calls while playing with the drone, which is a big bonus. Your experience may be different, but that jives with the explanation I found that it isn't so much interference, it is that the phone shuts off the drone WiFi because it has a "better" connection using cellular data.

Though I will test to see if the cellular and Bluetooth give me worse video quality, as you say. I haven't really paid attention to that as I was just happy to get my drone flying :)

to update this thread, and for anyone that's had a similar problem as myself, the issue was user error... The problem was that I was connecting to the wifi before turning on the app, which apparently doesn't work. What does work is to open the app, then connect to the wifi, then go back to the app.
This is what finally worked for me!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv