Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Scratch doesnt control the Tello for all commands?

droneworx you lack imagination. Just because it cost 100 dollars doesn't mean it can't do more than a few brain dead tricks. For example if we could get access to the camera data sent to the phone, the phone could do a face find and then steer toward the face for a poor man follow me.

Sensor data? orientation? signal strength? battery strength??? what? your sending commands to the drone to complete actions, not having it make intelligent transit decisions based on its own perception of feedback data?? other than the command to "take picture" and maybe a flight mode like up and away, everything else is superfluous and not needed.

There are people that do things by the book and others that like to experiment and explore possibilities. You see a $100 toy drone, some of us like to use our imagination.

I dont lack imagination, I am firmly planted in the reality of what it can do. You want a Beechcraft G36 that can carry 300 people 8700 miles like a 787. As a commercial pilot, I can tell you, imagination or not, a G36 will NEVER be able to navigate and be as intelligent as a 787, so dont expect it to. be as imaginative as you want, within the realms of what it is capable of.

The video I posted was done with a cheap toy. The video feed is already ther. Why not sharing it?

Reactions: tel__2
I dont lack imagination, I am firmly planted in the reality of what it can do. You want a Beechcraft G36 that can carry 300 people 8700 miles like a 787. As a commercial pilot, I can tell you, imagination or not, a G36 will NEVER be able to navigate and be as intelligent as a 787, so dont expect it to. be as imaginative as you want, within the realms of what it is capable of.

I don't think anybody is trying to turn the Tello into a Mavic, they're trying to see what is possible. Possibilities outside of the scope of your knowledge do exist.

Reactions: Bradly and tel__2
Yeesh, This thread has turned negative. I'll start a new one less hostile to out of the box thinking.

"I want telemetry data" "I want an active track" sure sounds like your asking more of it than it was designed to do.

Yes, that is imagination. We're not asking the drone to do this, we're asking it provide whatever information it already has so we can try to do things out of band. Imagineers don't say "This is what it does today", they ask "What can I make it do tomorrow?".

Since your going to be an insulting ***, I will too. maybe comprehension isn't your strong suit?

I don't know what you find insulting. The suggestion that perhaps possibilities exist outside of your knowledge domain? I certainly don't know everything, but one of the principles of advancement is trying to do things you currently can't.

Reactions: tel__2
"I want telemetry data" "I want an active track" sure sounds like your asking more of it than it was designed to do. Since your going to be an insulting ***, I will too. maybe comprehension isn't your strong suit?
I didn't see any insults and the lack of comprehension is definetly not where you think it is.
The Ryze Tello has a built in Movidius Myriad 2 VPU so we can reasonably hope that things may be possible beyond the "simple" functions we can currently access.
[source : Hello Tello - Ryze Announces Intel Myriad VPU Powered Toy Drone | Machine Vision Technology | Movidius]

Call me picky but I'd like to snap pictures or possibly use visual flight cues. Maybe this is in the works for the next couple of updates.

I think it's a real shame that one can't program the camera control. Just for a laugh, I decided to see if the Tello could handle some extra weight and carry a battery and camera from an ex-drone (the one that got away, fortunately without the camera onboard). Add in a big blob of blu-tack to jury rig battery/camera on the Tello and the total added weight was 40g.

The camera was then connected to my phone via wireless, the Tello was connected to the laptop via its own wireless and it was time to try it out.

For my first attempt I foolishly attached the gear under the Tello, blocking the sensors, so naturally the Tello went skittering around the room like a blindfolded budgie. Duh.

The next attempt saw the gear perched atop the drone, the blu-tack serving to hold the camera out of the way of the blades. I decided to go as simple as possible and just did a take off, pause, land. Perfect. The next attempt was a slightly more complex task, albeit conservative as I was working indoors. Apart from a near collision with the door frame (due to drifting) it too was pretty darn good. I would say the Tello was not quite as precise in its movements but I'm still astonished that it was apparently untroubled by being given an extra unbalanced load of 40g.

Has anyone else played with add-ons?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccer843