Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

SDK 3.0 for Tello EDU

I think, only commands of the SDK 2.0 are implemented as methods in the DJITelloPy package. But it has a method 'send_command_with_return(str)'. With its help, you can send to your drone any command of the SDK 3.0.
For example: tello.send_command_with_return("motoron") or tello.send_command_with_return("reboot").
But you should have the v02.05.01.17 firmware version in your Tello EDU/Talent to execute SDK 3.0 commands.
This is a life saver - thanks for the shout. I just got the tello talent and this allows me to use all the commands right out of the box. The sdk 3.0 documentation is good but doesn’t cover everything. To get a better understanding of the range of commands possible, I use the blocks and “view code option” on the tello edu app - this way you get a feel for what’s possible. Great stuff and keep up the good work.

Hey guys, you seem to be kind of cracks :)

As a newcomer in programming drones i allready had 2 Tello EDUs. Wanted to do some first things with the TELLO EDU APP.
Sadly you had to have a Educational account or the RMTT Extension kit.
So i bought 2 RMTT Extension kits to convert my EDU to RMTT.
The First drone did just fine and i tried some different things. With the use of Mind+ on my laptop.
So i wanted to test the 2nd Unit but was not able to find the Drone on the Wifi with my Laptop.
In Android phone i see the 2nd Unit as accessable in the phones Wifi list.
With a wifi analayzer app i was able to see that the second drone appears on Wifi Channel 165
that is not findable on my laptop.

DJI SDK 3.0 PDF says "Set the -WiFi channel of the open-source controller. xxx indicates the channel to be set. Note: To clear the channel settings, you need to clear the Wi-Fi information. Then, set a channel that complies with local policies and regulations.(Only applies to the open-source controller)"

So i think it should be possible to change this default Channel to a better fit.
But as a neeb learning just the basics, that sounds to me like the "Cool Fancy Stuff" you can do only with 1000 Years of programming experience ;-)

Do you have any hints, or a solution for my problem. Or do you think that is hardware relatetd defect of the RMTT module?
Thanks in advance

Hey guys, you seem to be kind of cracks :)

As a newcomer in programming drones i allready had 2 Tello EDUs. Wanted to do some first things with the TELLO EDU APP.
Sadly you had to have a Educational account or the RMTT Extension kit.
So i bought 2 RMTT Extension kits to convert my EDU to RMTT.
The First drone did just fine and i tried some different things. With the use of Mind+ on my laptop.
So i wanted to test the 2nd Unit but was not able to find the Drone on the Wifi with my Laptop.
In Android phone i see the 2nd Unit as accessable in the phones Wifi list.
With a wifi analayzer app i was able to see that the second drone appears on Wifi Channel 165
that is not findable on my laptop.

DJI SDK 3.0 PDF says "Set the -WiFi channel of the open-source controller. xxx indicates the channel to be set. Note: To clear the channel settings, you need to clear the Wi-Fi information. Then, set a channel that complies with local policies and regulations.(Only applies to the open-source controller)"

So i think it should be possible to change this default Channel to a better fit.
But as a neeb learning just the basics, that sounds to me like the "Cool Fancy Stuff" you can do only with 1000 Years of programming experience ;-)

Do you have any hints, or a solution for my problem. Or do you think that is hardware relatetd defect of the RMTT module?
Thanks in advance
I don't have TT or RMTT Extension Kit but I think you need to enter the SDK mode by sending to your Tello the command:
command
Then you should send sending to your Tello the command:
wifisetchannel 123
This command will change the Wi-Fi channel of your RMTT controller to 123.
Probably you may do it in the Mind+ IDE after connecting thr Tello's RMTT controller to your laptop by an USB cable.

Last edited:
I don't have TT or RMTT Extension Kit but I think you need to enter the SDK mode by sending to your Tello the command:
command
Then you should send sending to your Tello the command:
wifisetchannel 123
This command will change the Wi-Fi channel of your RMTT controller to 123.
Probably you may do it in the Mind+ IDE after connecting thr Tello's RMTT controller to your laptop by an USB cable.
Already thought about this, ;-)
to achieve getting connected to the RMTT via Mind+ IDE, i need to find it in my WLAN what is not possible. Thats the main cause i could not do that
and now try to find a sollution :-(

to achieve getting connected to the RMTT via Mind+ IDE, i need to find it in my WLAN what is not possible. Thats the main cause i could not do that
So, i think i found out what´s the matter. Seems to be a defect of the Extension modle. I researched a littel about Wifi and regulations. So this Wifi channel 165 my module is listed is a non compliant channel at least to European regulations.
In Europe channel 140 is the highest possible. I contacted robomaster support, but no response by now. A little confusing also the statement that RMTT uses 5ghz Wlan with the builtin ESP32 chip that is not supporting 5ghz at all by the specs.

I suggested to connect to your TELLO and configure RMTT module by setting the desired channel.
The Wi-Fi switch on the RMTT module should be set to AP mode (connection to TELLO-xxxxxx Wi-Fi network).

Last edited:
So, i think i found out what´s the matter. Seems to be a defect of the Extension modle. I researched a littel about Wifi and regulations. So this Wifi channel 165 my module is listed is a non compliant channel at least to European regulations.
In Europe channel 140 is the highest possible. I contacted robomaster support, but no response by now. A little confusing also the statement that RMTT uses 5ghz Wlan with the builtin ESP32 chip that is not supporting 5ghz at all by the specs.
I also find it confusing: I haven't found any info mentioning that ESP32 chip supports 5GHz Wi-Fi...

I also find it confusing: I haven't found any info mentioning that ESP32 chip supports 5GHz Wi-Fi...
Looks like some kind of "Fake". What i found so far ist when watching RMTT booting up in my Phone, is that sometimes at first the Wifi of the RMTT is called " WICED soft AP" for some seconds, than turnes into RMTT-XXXX

Overall very frustrating for me is that there seems absolutly no Help to find :-(
I managed to change the Wifichannel via "Tello EDU App" on 3 Drones. But 2x later, the Wifichannel was back as 165 :-(
At first i thought about a hardware related problem, but now i´m not sure anymore.

So frustrating, after buyint 2 Original RMTT units in addition to my converted Tello EDUs. almost 600€ for 4 pieces of Hightech Junk :-(

Looks like some kind of "Fake". What i found so far ist when watching RMTT booting up in my Phone, is that sometimes at first the Wifi of the RMTT is called " WICED soft AP" for some seconds, than turnes into RMTT-XXXX

Overall very frustrating for me is that there seems absolutly no Help to find :-(
I managed to change the Wifichannel via "Tello EDU App" on 3 Drones. But 2x later, the Wifichannel was back as 165 :-(
At first i thought about a hardware related problem, but now i´m not sure anymore.

So frustrating, after buyint 2 Original RMTT units in addition to my converted Tello EDUs. almost 600€ for 4 pieces of Hightech Junk :-(
Can you give me a link to a shop where you bought RMTT Extension Kits?

When reading the source code of RoboMaster/RMTT_Libs I've found some undocumented SDK commands which are tested on my Tello EDU:
active? # returns "active" as the result
keepalive # returns "ok" - obviously to prevent a Tello's automatical landing after not receiving commands within 15 seconds.

Last edited:
Update. Seemed to be a problem of the 2 Expansion Kits. I figured out somethin interesting in the behaviour of the Extension modules. After buying new 4 RMTT drones. All the 4 drones did the same. After upgrading the extension modules with the Robomaster Assistant, all 4 showed "Wifi UNACTIVE"
i had to install them on the drones and activate them with the Tello APP what was different to the 2 TT Extension Kit modules i recently had the issues. With those i never had to activate them.
With the 4 new RMTT´s its no issue anymore to change Wifi Channels as i wish with the Tello EDU APP.

When you look at the release notes of firmware 02.05.01.17, it says, there is also a video stream output for the downward vision system available.

Anyone who knows how to access it?

1626786356169.png

Reactions: Mike Shock
I got response from Ryze support. You can switch between forward and downward facing camera with the folllowing commands (requires firmware v02.05.01.17):

downvision 1 (switches the video stream down)
downvision 0 (switches video streaming back to the forward view)

It is currently not possibly to get both camera streams at the same time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike Shock
I got response from Ryze support. You can switch between forward and downward facing camera with the folllowing commands (requires firmware v02.05.01.17):

downvision 1 (switches the video stream down)
downvision 0 (switches video streaming back to the forward view)

It is currently not possibly to get both camera streams at the same time.
Has anyone tried the downvision? Any videos to share?

Yes, meanwhile I tried it:

The downward facing camera provides a gray level image with a resolution of 320x240 pixels. It seems to be a camera without IR blocking filter, so that it get's supported by the IR LED of the bottom distance sensor. Pretty amazing, what technology package you get with this little drone.

You can ignore the fps indicator in the video as it only measures the frame rate of a pose detection that is running on top of the video stream in my example.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv