Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Since I have purchased this I STILL CANNOT CONNECT TO THE INTERNET! Im ready to throw this in the trash!!

tellotrash

Reaction score
Let me be very thorough in my issue so if I am doing something wrong someone can help me. I will also ask for Ryze or Tello's official site so I can contact them directly.

I purchased the Tello combo pack from Amazon primarily to code this drone using python. I am using Windows 10 and I am using djitellopy as the python program.

My program reads as follows...

from djitellopy import tello
import time

my_drone = tello.Tello()

my_drone.takeoff()
#time.sleep(8)

for i in range(4):
my_drone.move_forward(25)
time.sleep(5)
my_drone.rotate_clockwise(90)
time.sleep(5)
print(my_drone.get_height())
#if my_drone.get_height()>50:
# my_drone.move_down(25)
my_drone.land()

That's all this is to it in my pycharm code...yet, my Tello refuses to do anything but sit there.

I have a Google Nest Wifi Mesh (the one that looks like the marshmallows).

Here are the steps I follow to connect my tello. First, I disconnect my wifi, then I click the button on the side of the Tello and it goes through a series of lights and then starts flashing quickly yellow. When this happens, I go into my wifi and see the tello is ready to be connected. I try to connect it and it always says it is NOT connected. HOWEVER, in my code if I try to connect and add a line to check the battery, I see that I can read the battery power so it is connect. But no matter what I do, I cannot takeoff. Making matters more complicated, the wifi says there is no internet, but it only has a button to disconnect as if it IS connected. Is my code wrong? is there something I am missing? Do other people when they connect does it actually say "connected" in their wifi? Am I forgetting any code? I have reset the Tello several times and still nothing. Do I even have the right Tello to be coded? Thanks for any and all help and IF there is a rep from Ryze Tello please reach out to me to solve this because I have become so frustrated that I still cannot even get this thing to do anything, I am on the verge of throwing it out the window and watching it crash to the ground. Thanks.

• Haha
Reactions: todorp007
there is no official rep on this forum as far as I can tell.

I don't know any python and don't know the SDK so can't offer much help.

Just a hint: Don't assume that the value returned by the read battery command is the true battery status unless you have reason to believe it is (like 100% when just charged, and getting lower over time). This could be some mock value left in the python binding.

So First thing to try:
issue a ping on your computer once your wifi is connected to tello. That is the first step to see if it is reachable on the network level.

I try to connect it and it always says it is NOT connected.
That seems to be the root of the problem to me. The Tello should behave like any other unsecured Access Point, if it says it's not connected it probably isn't. I assume that you are using a desktop computer of some sort. Does it have any other live network connection, like a cable?

Can you connect to the Tello from your phone and fly it?

PS: If connected your computer should say there isn't an internet connection because there isn't!

PPS: If the Tello yellow light is still blinking quickly after trying to connect then it definitely is not connected.

always says it is NOT connected.
In what way does it say not connected? Are you confusing the lack of an Internet connection with the WiFi connection to the Tello. The Tello acts as an Access Point but it hasn't got an Internet connection and so the computer will accurately report this when connected to the Tello.

If the yellow light stops blinking quickly it is connected and the problem is elsewhere.

EDIT: Being pedantic the corollary - that if the light IS blinking rapidly it is NOT connected - is an assumption that may or may not be true that I can't presently verify.

Last edited:
I'm not very familiar with the Tello SDK but looking at tello.py I think you need to invoke mydrone.connect() to switch it into SDK command mode before sending any commands.

Let me be very thorough in my issue so if I am doing something wrong someone can help me. I will also ask for Ryze or Tello's official site so I can contact them directly.

I purchased the Tello combo pack from Amazon primarily to code this drone using python. I am using Windows 10 and I am using djitellopy as the python program.

My program reads as follows...

from djitellopy import tello
import time

my_drone = tello.Tello()

my_drone.takeoff()
#time.sleep(8)

for i in range(4):
my_drone.move_forward(25)
time.sleep(5)
my_drone.rotate_clockwise(90)
time.sleep(5)
print(my_drone.get_height())
#if my_drone.get_height()>50:
# my_drone.move_down(25)
my_drone.land()

That's all this is to it in my pycharm code...yet, my Tello refuses to do anything but sit there.

I have a Google Nest Wifi Mesh (the one that looks like the marshmallows).

Here are the steps I follow to connect my tello. First, I disconnect my wifi, then I click the button on the side of the Tello and it goes through a series of lights and then starts flashing quickly yellow. When this happens, I go into my wifi and see the tello is ready to be connected. I try to connect it and it always says it is NOT connected. HOWEVER, in my code if I try to connect and add a line to check the battery, I see that I can read the battery power so it is connect. But no matter what I do, I cannot takeoff. Making matters more complicated, the wifi says there is no internet, but it only has a button to disconnect as if it IS connected. Is my code wrong? is there something I am missing? Do other people when they connect does it actually say "connected" in their wifi? Am I forgetting any code? I have reset the Tello several times and still nothing. Do I even have the right Tello to be coded? Thanks for any and all help and IF there is a rep from Ryze Tello please reach out to me to solve this because I have become so frustrated that I still cannot even get this thing to do anything, I am on the verge of throwing it out the window and watching it crash to the ground. Thanks.
Try connecting the Bluetooth next. You need both wifi for the Tello and Bluetooth for the controller/ smartphone.

Try connecting the Bluetooth next. You need both wifi for the Tello and Bluetooth for the controller/ smartphone.
Don't confuse the issue. Bluetooth is NOT needed in this situation. The Tello does NOT use Bluetooth. Bluetooth is only used to connect some controllers to the controlling device.

Let me just provide an update to this.

I was able to get the stream to work so it must be "connected" for lack of a better word otherwise Im sure that I could not get the stream to work.

Is it possible I have a hardware issue? Does anyone know how to do some basic hardware inspection or analysis of the drone? The SDK sadly has nothing about this so you cant really do any cursory check other than i suppose visual inspection.

Hi I want to thank everyone's kindness and willingness to offer suggestions. I was able to resolve the problem but only because I had an older phone.

I downloaded the official Tello app on an older Huwaei phone. I then was able to connect the Tello drone with the app without a problem. I was also able to connect the drone to my wifi again through the official Tello app. Once I did that and downloaded the firmware update, I was then able to just link the Tello to my pc as an access point without any problems. It did require me to type in my password for my network the first time but after that everytime I connect now its no problem (knock on wood).

I was lucky to have that old phone that was able to utilize the app because my daily phone is a Pixel 3a which could not even open the app.

So the bottom line is, if you want to code your drone, you will HAVE TO have a compatible phone with the official Tello app but once you do get the app and link up the Tello drone to app on that compatible phone and do the firmware update, you will then be able to link of the Tello drone as an access point on your network. You may be prompted to enter your network password as I was, but once you do, the Tello drone will be good to go and you can code the heck out of it in something like Python utilizing easytellor or djitellopy etc.

I was really lucky to have a phone that is compatible with the app or this drone would probably have been sent back to Amazon.

Thanks to everyone for the great suggestions and the willingness to offer up help and solutions. I really really appreciate it and it says alot about the people in this forum. Thank again.

Last edited:
So you had a true virgin drone... never thought of this possibility.
You are correct that Tello needs to be "activated" before first use. This happens upon first use with the Ryze app.

The only 3rd party app that can handle the activation is TelloFpv. The free demo version is good enough for the activation, and runs well on Pixels.

Reactions: Danman32
You needed the old phone because the original app does not run on Android 10. Really bad.
I use bluestacks (Android emulator) on the PC which emulates an older Android version.

Latest version of original Tello app now supports Android 10, and I think even 11 now. However still doesn't work on Galaxy S20 series. Has video issues.

The problem in this case is the phone, not the app. None of the available apps will work on your specific sub-model of the S20 FE. The phone blocks the incoming video traffic so the app never sees it.
The only one to fix this is the phone manufacturer / carrier.

The problem in this case is the phone, not the app. None of the available apps will work on your specific sub-model of the S20 FE. The phone blocks the incoming video traffic so the app never sees it.
The only one to fix this is the phone manufacturer / carrier.

My S20 FE is factory unlocked with T-Mobile as my carrier.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv