Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

T1s w/OTG cable.. Android setup help??

malta1

Reaction score
Hello TP members.

I need a little help here.

I've searched everywhere trying to find instructions for the T1s with an otg cable setup for my android devices. I have the Tello app as well as the Atello pilot app. Does anyone know the steps needed to get it setup? I have already connected via bluetooth with the gamesir and controls are great except for the jumpy/laggy live video and recording.

Sorry if this is already posted somewhere.
Cheers!

No help at all? Someone must have done this before.

From my experience with Gamesir T1, usb otg connection it's only a plug and play matter.

Into Android no drivers / configs needed. As soon as you plug controller and move sticks you should be able to notice changes into Android desk (highlighted app icon changes when you move left stick).

For a deeper test you can use Gamepad Tester Playstore app. See here: another Tello Pilot (Android App)

Are you sure OTG works into your mobile ? Could you try another usb device or USB memory stick ?

Best regards.

From my experience with Gamesir T1, usb otg connection it's only a plug and play matter.

Into Android no drivers / configs needed. As soon as you plug controller and move sticks you should be able to notice changes into Android desk (highlighted app icon changes when you move left stick).

For a deeper test you can use Gamepad Tester Playstore app. See here: another Tello Pilot (Android App)

Are you sure OTG works into your mobile ? Could you try another usb device or USB memory stick ?

Best regards.
Thanks Raul for your help!!! So my question now is the steps to connect. Do I connect my Tello with the Atello pilot app first on with bluetooth on/off? When you say plug and play, should I connect the phone to the gamesir before turning on the power to the controller? Sorry about all of the questions:)

Switch on Gamesir controler before plugging USB phone worked right for me.

Forgot about Bluetooth. Let it switched off into your mobile phone. It can create severe interference with Tello.

Maybe you should try by yoursef...

Switch on Gamesir controler before plugging USB phone worked right for me.

Forgot about Bluetooth. Let it switched off into your mobile phone. It can create severe interference with Tello.

Maybe you should try by yoursef...

Success and thanks Raul. I followed your initial steps but still couldn't connect......but then I switched the T1s to the "x" setting instead of the android setting and it works flawless. I don't think you have that option with the T1d though? Maybe that one is plug and play? Overall video recording indoors and outdoors is a 100% improvement with the OTG cable. No more frame skipping. Highly recommended for a few $$$. Still waiting for my repeater to arrive but I think it can only get better from here!!!

Success and thanks Raul. I followed your initial steps but still couldn't connect......but then I switched the T1s to the "x" setting instead of the android setting and it works flawless. I don't think you have that option with the T1d though? Maybe that one is plug and play? Overall video recording indoors and outdoors is a 100% improvement with the OTG cable. No more frame skipping. Highly recommended for a few $$$. Still waiting for my repeater to arrive but I think it can only get better from here!!!

@malta1 would you be able to share more on the "x" setting you mention? I would like to understand more before i purchase this controller. And which phone you are using to test on it? Thank you.

@malta1 would you be able to share more on the "x" setting you mention? I would like to understand more before i purchase this controller. And which phone you are using to test on it? Thank you.

The T1s can be used for gaming as well as controlling the Tello and probably other drones too but i'm not positive. Power it on and it has four led lights to let you know your battery and four led's below to let you know what device you are using android/ apple/ PC or X. To switch between devices you hold down the power button and either the A, B, X or Y at the same time and the controller will switch to the mode you chose. A & B is android, Y for ios, X for x? and PC. I don't know what the "X" setting means but I saw vids on youtube with people using it for gaming and the blue X led was always on.

I'm using an ASUS Zenfone 4 Max with android 8.1 and the atellopilot app. Initially I tried the android setting but I could only see a picture on my phone with no flying controls. Then I switched to the X setting while Tello was still connected and it works great. You can actually switch modes on the go. Not sure why it wont work for me directly hooked up to the android setting but i'm not complaining. Anyhow I think the T1s gives you alot more flexilbility on other devices then the T1d. This method worked for me but if there is another way to setup 'd like to hear about it.

Reactions: umanbean
The T1s can be used for gaming as well as controlling the Tello and probably other drones too but i'm not positive. Power it on and it has four led lights to let you know your battery and four led's below to let you know what device you are using android/ apple/ PC or X. To switch between devices you hold down the power button and either the A, B, X or Y at the same time and the controller will switch to the mode you chose. A & B is android, Y for ios, X for x? and PC. I don't know what the "X" setting means but I saw vids on youtube with people using it for gaming and the blue X led was always on.

I'm using an ASUS Zenfone 4 Max with android 8.1 and the atellopilot app. Initially I tried the android setting but I could only see a picture on my phone with no flying controls. Then I switched to the X setting while Tello was still connected and it works great. You can actually switch modes on the go. Not sure why it wont work for me directly hooked up to the android setting but i'm not complaining. Anyhow I think the T1s gives you alot more flexilbility on other devices then the T1d. This method worked for me but if there is another way to setup 'd like to hear about it.

Oh, actually i purchase is for Tello use only but i heard that T1D does not support OTG connection. I would like to use OTG connection to reduce the chance of lag video. So the method you mention is to switch the mode to X and it connect to Tello directly via OTG right?

Yes, first I turn on the controller then I hook up the otg cable then I put the app on, Tello on, then wifi on and connect to Tello. And works great. I have bluetooth off as well.

OTG is definately the best video quality.

Yes, first I turn on the controller then I hook up the otg cable then I put the app on, Tello on, then wifi on and connect to Tello. And works great. I have bluetooth off as well.

OTG is definately the best video quality.

Just to confirm that it works which app?
Atellopilot
Stock Tello

Do you need to install the gamesir world app?

My observations after 24 hours with a T1s:
  • I don't have and did not need the gamesir world app
  • Using my old Galaxy S3 phone, my wife's S5, my son's S7, or my Huawei Mediapad M3 tablet, I've never noticed it making any difference which order I turned on or plugged in anything.
  • I don't have to turn on the T1s at all, just plug it in to an Android device via OTG, and it comes on
  • On my Android devices I don't have to use the X mode, the Android mode works fine
  • I really like flying with a real RC, much better control.

So does this setup - a T1s and android usb otg not actually work with the stock tello app?
Is there any controller that works usb otg with the stock tello app (android)?

So does this setup - a T1s and android usb otg not actually work with the stock tello app?
No it does not, the stock Tello app is the only thing this controller does not work with! You can blame DJI / Ryze for that.

Is there any controller that works usb otg with the stock tello app (android)?

Not to my knowledge. Seems like I remember reading some people having success with a third-party remapping app called Octopus?

I'm not bothering with that though, the aTelloPilot does so much more than the OEM app anyway... well worth the money - and being improved regularly.

Absolutely, I'm not against paying for the atello app, but i'd read that the video quality wasn't as good? Not sure.

In any case, isn't the atello app free if you download the apk? This seems to be the developers website:
Kragrathea/TelloLib

Or did he stop development of a free version?

aTello and a TelloPilot are two different apps and two different Developers. Unfortunately for us, each developer decided to name their app very similarly.

aTelloPilot is a paid-for app in the Google Play Store.

aTello is downloadable no charge from the github location in your link above. You have to know how to sideload apps for that to work.

I have both and each has its strong points.

It really is too bad about the name confusion though!

aTello and a TelloPilot are two different apps and two different Developers. Unfortunately for us, each developer decided to name their app very similarly.

aTelloPilot is a paid-for app in the Google Play Store.

aTello is downloadable no charge from a github location, you'll have to find that yourself. You have to know how to sideload apps for that to work.

I have both and each has its strong points.

It really is too bad about the name confusion though!
Thanks for sorting out the confusion!
I just bought a gamesir t1s, so hopefully I'll get some combination that works!

Thanks for sorting out the confusion!
I just bought a gamesir t1s, so hopefully I'll get some combination that works!

I just got my T1s yesterday... love it! Every 'combination' imaginable works with this controller - except for OEM Tello app!

So far mine works with aTello, aTellopilot, and Drone VR+... using either Bluetooth or OTG

I just got my T1s yesterday... love it! Every 'combination' imaginable works with this controller - except for OEM Tello app!

So far mine works with aTello, aTellopilot, and Drone VR+... using either Bluetooth or OTG

Are you sure it doesn't work with the stock app? According to this video it does (though I think it's over bluetooth):

Expand the description and it says:
With the latest Tello app and Tello firmware update, you can now control it with the Gamesir T1s directly. Open the Tello app, and then switch on the Tello drone. When you have live view on screen, open up Bluetooth controller settings. Switch on the controller by pressing the Home - and A button simultaneously for 2 seconds, and then let go of the buttons. The green led light will flash, untill you see Gamesir T1 GCM in the controller settings. Click on it, and then go out of settings. All is now connected, and you can fly Tello with controller. Hope this helps :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv