Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Tello and GameSir T1d makes Tello drifting up

Makusi75

Reaction score
Hi!

My son has a GameSir T1d together with a Ryze Tello. It has been working quite fine, but now my son experienced that the Tello (IronMan edition) is drifting up higher and higher when control it with the GameSir T1d.
It works fine with just only the mobile, but with the GameSir it start to drift higher and higher....

The GameSir is the same as we used before, previously he had another Tello (the original one) - but after that crashed we now have a Tello IronMan edition.
And this combination seem to be drifting in altitude.

I asked the Ryze Tello support about it, and when I told them that my son now are using a Samsung S10 mobile for this, they said that it might not be compatible that it might be the problem - that the spec of the Samsung S10 are "troublesome" for the Tello and the GameSir.
For me that sounds really strange.

Anybody that has some ideas regarding this?
Some calibration that can be done, or some Firmware upgrade?

It's sounds strange that it just works quite fine with just the mobile App without the GameSir, and wth the GameSir it start to drift.
And as said, the GameSir has been working fine before at least with another Tello (the original one), it might however been an older mobile phone at that time. ;-)

Thanks!
Best Regards
/Marcus

t1d is known for controller creep. Sticks that are physically centered the controller reports some different position, often even moving by itself.
There is no fix available, other than getting a better controller.

The phone has 100% nothing to do with this, and this just tells you something about the qualification of DJI customer service agents.

It's sounds strange that it just works quite fine with just the mobile App without the GameSir, and wth the GameSir it start to drift.
Not strange at all. That just points to the fact that the controller is the problem, not the Tello.

Ryze tech support, even if they were competent, can't help you with that problem.

The potentiometers ( electronic sensors connected inside to the joysticks) in gamesir controllers are not exactly what you'd call 'Top Shelf'...

On my T1D, the right stick started acting up, making the Tello drift forward slowly. A little squirt of Deoxit D5 fixed it.

OK, maybe try to spray it.

Personally I have written off my Gamesir controllers. I only keep them in case I need to fix something in the cntroller connection handling.

Reactions: umanbean
I just realized - I have a T1s, not T1d... doesn't matter though, probably the same innards. Probably forgot because I haven't used it or any controller in 6-8 months or more.

I found I have more precise control using on-screen sticks. Also a lot quicker and less hassle to deploy Tello, and more reliable control.

To the OP - if you haven't tried it yet, download the TelloFPV demo, your son will love it!... makes the OEM app look like trash.

Last edited:
Thanks!
I will try to spray it ;-)
What I meant was strange - was that actually when my son was using the GamSir T1d together with the previous (original) Tello it worked better... however, that Tello crashed and we bought the IronMan edition - and after that the problem with "drifting" up started. However, not sure if my son also got his new mobile (Samsung S10) at that time also....
But sure, something could of course have happened with the actual GameSir during that time...

I tried now to download this "upgrade tool" for the GameSir, and checked the FW and callibration via the IPad at home.
Not sure yet if that made any big changes or not.

By the way, if my son really would like to control the Tello via some kind of GameSir, are there any other better option of GameSir than this GameSir T1d, that works well/better with the Tello?

Best Regards
/Marcus

I just realized - I have a T1s, not T1d... doesn't matter though, probably the same innards. Probably forgot because I haven't used it or any controller in 6-8 months or more.

I found I have more precise control using on-screen sticks. Also a lot quicker and less hassle to deploy Tello, and more reliable control.

To the OP - if you haven't tried it yet, download the TelloFPV demo, your son will love it!... makes the OEM app look like trash.
By the way, this "TelloFPV" App that you recomend - do you happen to know if it works the same also for the IronMan edition of the Tello?
I know that the IronMan Edition version of the App are some different with some "challenges" to do. ;-)

/Marcus

Iron Man Edition is just a red Tello and TelloFpv works with all Tello editions, including Iron Man.

Controller support in Ryze app is limited to Gamesirs AFAIK, but I don't know much about that app. I am the developer behind TelloFpv so I never use the stock app.

Personally I no longer recommend Gamesirs as they too often develop issues like you noticed. I'd choose a quality controller like Xbox, PS, Steelseries, gamevice.
Or the famous Parrot Flypad, but that is increasingly hard to find. Maybe the TelloFpv users suck up all the used Flypads that enter the market.

All depends on the phone you use. TelloFpv supports all controllers that the phone OS recognizes, so controller choices depend on iOS vs Android. Flypad is supported on both platforms

Thanks a lot! The TelloFpv App looks cool, good price also - so I might try to purchase it for my son! :)

So if I understand you all correctly - if my son wants to control the Tello with a remote - the best option is to try get hold of a "Parrot Flypad" and use that instead of the "GameSir T1d" (so the "Parrot Flypad" is a better option than the "GameSir T1d"?)?
Also seen that as you also mentioned, some using the "GameSir T1s"..., but if I can get hold of a "Parrot Flypad" that would be the best option for controlling the Tello (except just the mobile)? ;-)

I think my son will keep the mobile Samsung S10 for a while now (I hope... :-o ;-)

Flypad just gives better control than most gamepads as it has better stick gimbals. But any controller should do for playing around

With TelloFpv any controller that connects to an Android phone should do, there are hundreds of models to choose from. With Ryze app you are limited to Gamesirs.

Thanks a lot! The TelloFpv App looks cool, good price also - so I might try to purchase it for my son! :)
Don't might, don't try, just do it! :D for the price of a cheeseburger, you won't regret it.

In tellofpv, you can solve the problem of 'stick creep' by increasing the DeadZone of the stick that won't center correctly.

I just bought the TelloFpv App from Google Play, so we will see during the weekend what my son might like it ;-)
Past time he has not played that much with the Tello as it start to be drifting away up with the GameSir - but maybe now with the TelloFpv he can maybe use his PS4 controller and try out with that controller instead ;-)
I also saw that it could be possible to find the Parrot Swing together with the Parrot FlyPad for about 50:- Euro, just to get the FlyPad - maybe that is worth it? ;-)

My son usually have a pair of cheap "VR-glasses" used just with his mobile-phone to watch when he flying - which personally I think must be hard (it will get me sick.. :-o ;-) - but my son think it's quite fun so... ;-)

Ps4 should be fine. No need to get a flypad then.
and cheap VR goggles are fun

Is there a fix for this? I’ve my Tello for about 6 months and the controller about 5 months. Everything worked perfect and it lasted like that for 5 months, no problems. In fact the Tello flew like a dream, almost better than with just a phone.

Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago and I noticed the Tello drifting up and back like a ghost was moving the joy stick it even showed the virtual joysticks moving in concert with the drift.

Of course like all the other complaints when I just use my smart phone everything’s fine.

I’ve tried the fly pad too and found the same issues of drift after a time of use.

Any help is greatly appreciated, even though flying with the phone only is perfectly fine, I kinda liked the control and feedback an actual controller provides.

Thanks,
The Mad Hungarian.

If the virtual joysticks move the only reason is a hardware problem with the controller.
Many Gamesirs have such issues, but so far I have never heard such thing about the flypad.

With the tellofvp app you can check if your joystick has a drift(control dot wont be centered). The TS1 joystick is the better option of the 2 (t1D being the other) TS1 can be connected with a OTG Usb kabel to the phone making it cable connected instead of troubling bluetooth.

Reactions: VladTheHungarian
With the tellofvp app you can check if your joystick has a drift(control dot wont be centered). The TS1 joystick is the better option of the 2 (t1D being the other) TS1 can be connected with a OTG Usb kabel to the phone making it cable connected instead of troubling bluetooth.
I may have to get the 1s instead and use my org cable. Does it matter what T1s I use? Does it have to be a newer rev or does GameSir do firmware/software updates to fix problems?

I have the same TD1 problem and reading here, I like test something to try ti fix it. I opened the Game Sir and put contact claner in the sticks bases, and I can to see they are now in the central position. I am charging the Tello batteries to fly this afternoon or tomorrow early. I can to write my experience and if the TD1 is fixed or not.

I'm using the T1s Remote Controller for DJI Tello Drone ios7.0+ Android 4.0+ with both the Tello and Tello FPV app (FPV preferred). The direct connection is a huge plus, any lag has disappeared and drifting is nonexistent.

Makusi75 where is your son flying? When I fly indoors and over a smooth surface or furniture I get upward drift, the sensors have a challenge distinguishing the surface. Low light indoors will also impact the sensors and create drift.

Doing an do an IMU Calibration should resolve any of the drifting issues you have, it did for me when I first picked up the drone.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv