Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Tello app will not open

utmustang05

Reaction score
Hi all,
I just received my Tello and when I get the Tello app and tried to open it I got a error message that said there was a bug in the app and to clear the app cash which I did then tried to open it again and got an error message that said the app has and bug and to wait till the admin fixed it. Any suggestions on how to get my Tello flying? I'm using Samsung S21 Android.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jcoronel
Tello app 1.6.0.0 is not compatible with Android 12. You need 1.6.0.1 that you can download directly from DJI: Tello

Thank you. I did so and it appears everything works now. Thanks for the advice.
Another quick question I see allot of other apps for the Tello and am curious is there any advantages to these other apps?

Functionally, Tello FPV is richer than the "original" Tello app. But I would start with original app because it also handles firmware updates for you.

Dear Team Tello,

I have issues with my Tello every time that lights are low(almost night), same issue when I'm in closed space, my Tello drone goes down sideward and can't balanced itself. Is this normal?

...every time that lights are low(almost night), same issue when I'm in closed space, my Tello drone goes down sideward and can't balanced itself. Is this normal?
Yes. The VPS (visual positioning system) needs light and some structured ground.

Yes. The VPS (visual positioning system) needs light and some structured ground.
Thank you for your response, Will the "stay mode" in <FPV> Tello app can be able to stop it from going down sideward when malfunctioning due to lighting(VPS failed) issue?

no.
All the STOP button does is put tello into Sport mode with maximum attitude angle so it can stop quicker &handle more wind /turbulences than in slow video mode.
If VPS isn't available the app can't do much of it's own as it doesn't add any sensors or magic.

Hi, I bought my dad a DJI Tello drone and now the app doesn’t seem to work? He said he read on a forum that the app is no longer being updated and the hosts will no longer be updating their software…I hope this isn’t true as it’ll be an expensive mistake of a present. 😢

Thank you,

Sophie.

Sophie,
Post #2 and #4 are spot on. I have a newer android and the 1.6.0.1 version of the app worked once on my phone and hasn't worked since. I would us another device whether it is a Iphone or tablet to load the Tello app to update the firmware.
Your dad will only be able to fly his drone on his phone using the Tello FPV app at this point in time.

@sophiect : The app for Android was recently updated to run also with Android 12 but you get the latest version only as download, see post #2. You should start with the original Tello app because it handles activation and firmware updates. Lateron you can use TelloFPV to get mor options.

If there are still problems, you should give more details about the device and OS version your father is using.

Reactions: volate!lo
Just for the records: Tellofpv app can be used to activate a brand new drone. Even the free demo version does this.
As Jacky mentioned tellofpv does not do Firmware Updates. However I don't think I have seen any good firmware update to the standard edition since 2019. The edu editions have received some updates though

Hi Guys,

I wrote to [email protected] the following email

"
Dear support,

I am using a smartphone with Android 12 and now Tello application couldn't open.

I tried both versions (16.0.0 and 16.0.0.1).

Could you tell me if you plan to correct this application bug please?

I am annoying because now I couldn't use my Tello drone.

I search a workaround but I find nothing on internet and now I am so sad.

Could you bring me assitance?

Best regards,

"

and they provided me a link with a password to download a test version (v1.6.4) not available on their official website .

So now I can pilot my drone from my POCO F3 smartphone.

I hope it will help all of yours that I have the same issue than me

Best regards,

Mightyfox

Mightyfox can you provide the APK? I am in the same situation with my poco f3

May be the language specific part of the URL is a problem, depending on your language settings. Or the forum adds things to the URL.

Try it with this one:
Code:
https://www.dji.com/downloads/djiapp/tello

I didn't make myself clear, sorry for that. What I wanted to say is that I have that version installed but it does not start. E click on the icon and it does nothing.

I tested the app again (after having verified earlier, that the version 1.6.0.1 worked with Android 12).
Now I see the same behaviour: It doesn't open.
So there seems to be a new problem propably caused by a recent Android Update.
I think anyone, who sees the same problem should report it to Ryze support hoping that they will publish a fixed version soon.

Last edited:
After contacting Ryze Support, I also got a link to a temporary release 1.6.4 which starts successfully.

I think, it is better to not post the link here and instead also go through the online chat with Ryze Support. The pressure may help to make them release it sooner...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv