Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Tello at Lanzarote Island

Buli

Reaction score
At the Beach 7pm sunset, 15 to 18 km/h Wind.(y)(y). Tello in Fast Mode . Handstart is ok, but no Hand-landing ,to much Wind.IMG-20180917-WA0055.jpgIMG-20180917-WA0043.jpgIMG-20180917-WA0047.jpgIMG-20180917-WA0022.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Clockdoc and TC3
Hello the orientation get lost after the start , high 10 Meters. The Beach is dark , maybe to dark for ops system.

Here some Pics early this Morning.
1537346506112.jpg1537346722338.jpg1537346571866.jpg2018-09-19 094904.jpg1537346606418.jpg

I hope, tomorrow catch the sunrise

Reactions: TC3
First Video from the Beach

I get the same dropped frames and artifacts with the Android phones (LG G4 and LG V20). I think Android phones have more issues than iPhone.

Which phone do you use?

Hi,
I am using a Honor 6x Android . Flying with atelloPilot app and repeater . But with the original App more Pixels in the Video. It seams the td1 works not fine with repeater and Tello.
Here at the Beach lot off WiFi Signals maybe to much.

I will be taking my tello to Canary Islands in November. Have been to Lanzarote 4 times and know how windy it can get. This time am doing a weeks motorcycle tour in Gran Canaria and a day over to Tenerife too. There is 1 free day for which I have booked some Vespa scooters and I am hoping that day the wind is not too bad as that is when I want to use the tello the most.... :)

Last edited:
take off the prop guards to make it much easier for Tello to fight the winds

I use prop guards strictly for indoor flights

Reactions: Buli
In the age off 16 i drive a 80ccm Vespa' big fun (y). In the next days we rent a car to explore the Island. May be some nice Tello pics.

take off the prop guards to make it much easier for Tello to fight the winds

I use prop guards strictly for indoor flights
Do the prop guards really affect the drone in wind? At moment am still new to all this so have kept the guards on

In the age off 16 i drive a 80ccm Vespa' big fun (y). In the next days we rent a car to explore the Island. May be some nice Tello pics.
I have always wanted to ride a Vespa on an island like that so it will finally happen!

Do the prop guards really affect the drone in wind? At moment am still new to all this so have kept the guards on
Definately. They have a large windage plus they sit in the prop wash (the airflow from the props). My Bebop for example hovers 24 minutes outdoors on my good battery, a little wind makes not much difference. If I add the prop guards its more like 22 minutes and just a little wind makes it even worse.

Reactions: TC3
Definately. They have a large windage plus they sit in the prop wash (the airflow from the props). My Bebop for example hovers 24 minutes outdoors on my good battery, a little wind makes not much difference. If I add the prop guards its more like 22 minutes and just a little wind makes it even worse.
Ok will start using without the prop guards outdoors....got 2 sets of propellers so am covered there :)

Hi, i fly the Tello without propguards the last two days here on Lanzarote. It is really better an more stable in the Wind.
The flighttime is 19 minutes, Batterie to begin 92% and Fast mode
I try many Videos, but always the same problem. Dropouts, Pixel that really sad.

The picture are very good.
2018-09-23 114802.jpg1537772193404.jpg1537616665785.jpg2018-09-23 114634.jpg2018-09-23 114352.jpg1537616665785.jpg2018-09-22 143232.jpg2018-09-22 130514.jpg2018-09-22 130536.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20180924_075936.jpg
    IMG_20180924_075936.jpg
    982.2 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Reactions: Tom & Tasi
If your video looks good when in controlled conditions (no other WIFI signals around, close to the drone, etc) then its just a matter of getting the data to the phone in a more reliable way.
Dropped frames are mostly due to data that was lost on the way.

Solution is easy: Get a range extender.
The Xiaomi nano Youth router is the gold standard in the Bebop community, up to 4km range have been reported. Much better then the newer Xiaomi extenders, but hard to find these days. Personally I have done about 3,5km in perfect conditions when following a sailboat out to sea. Of course little Tello lacks the transmit power, sensitivity and MIMO capabilities of the Bebop so don't expect anything near this from the Tello.

Ideally put the router with a power bank on a stand / chair / rock a few meters away from you. My little Tello does 100m with (almost) perfect video using this router, 250m is fully reliable for FPV with some dropped frames, up to 400m is possible but risky. Just turning around can be enough to loose wifi signal.
But using a reange extender also opens up new flight regions, like going all around the house or behind trees in a distance.

If you want perfect video, consider wired ethernet between phone and router so there is just the WIFI connection between router and drone. Requires a cheap USB => Ethernet adapter. And of course a compatible phone with OTG support and ethernet drivers

But looking at the video quality of Tello I think this is too much effort given the results. Photos are impressive but videos are just barely OK.

Reactions: Tuba
If your video looks good when in controlled conditions (no other WIFI signals around, close to the drone, etc) then its just a matter of getting the data to the phone in a more reliable way.
Dropped frames are mostly due to data that was lost on the way.

Solution is easy: Get a range extender.
The Xiaomi nano Youth router is the gold standard in the Bebop community, up to 4km range have been reported. Much better then the newer Xiaomi extenders, but hard to find these days. Personally I have done about 3,5km in perfect conditions when following a sailboat out to sea. Of course little Tello lacks the transmit power, sensitivity and MIMO capabilities of the Bebop so don't expect anything near this from the Tello.

Ideally put the router with a power bank on a stand / chair / rock a few meters away from you. My little Tello does 100m with (almost) perfect video using this router, 250m is fully reliable for FPV with some dropped frames, up to 400m is possible but risky. Just turning around can be enough to loose wifi signal.
But using a reange extender also opens up new flight regions, like going all around the house or behind trees in a distance.

If you want perfect video, consider wired ethernet between phone and router so there is just the WIFI connection between router and drone. Requires a cheap USB => Ethernet adapter. And of course a compatible phone with OTG support and ethernet drivers

But looking at the video quality of Tello I think this is too much effort given the results. Photos are impressive but videos are just barely OK.

That's interesting about the Xiaomi nano Youth router. Would be cool if you could post a video of a range test with it and the Tello.

Can you tell us which phone you use?

I've done a bunch of research and I believe the phone matters more than a wifi extender.

If you notice, Ryze only has a small list of compatible phones - Ryze Tech

If you don't have one of those EXACT phones, the Tello will work but the video will have artifacts and dropped frames no matter what else you do.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karlyan