Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Tello FPV app

monchan

Reaction score
I'm a new Tello pilot. (2 days). Can someone explain the difference in the stock Tello app, and the Tello FPV app?
And why do I need it?
For me, I am using an android phone that is not 100% compatible with the tello app, but this app allows me to fly great.
I cannot get my controller to work with either app, must be my phone or even a faulty controller. So I only fly with my phone.
However with all the extra features aside, the video and photo quality between this app and the tello app is like chalk and cheese, so different.

Trying to take video with the tello app was terrible, jumpy, jerky and pixelated, but with this app, I feel the quality of the camera is taken to a new level. That alone is worth the price of the app.
Also feedback from the dev. is outstanding. I had some problems, contacted the dev. and he was great.
So, if you are on android and having problems with tello this is worth a try ( try the demo) If you are bored with the tello app, I think the extra features will appeal to many.

Fun flying..

ststith

Reaction score
Interesting attitude ... I don't think anyone is obliged to explain anything in the first reply. People are asking, other people are answering to their best knowledge.

No plans for IOS. I'm a non-believer.
Darn. Would love to use it on my iPhone based on the many favorable reviews. Just a kindly meant request (compliment). Steve.

Reactions: Frankie770

volate!lo

Reaction score
I know there is lots of requests for IOS. But reality is that IOS has a (global) market share of what... 20-25% or so? Now add the fact that IOS users are not suffering as bad from video problems and there just is not real market for TelloFpv on IOS. I know IOS users are used to pay a premium, but even then...

Well, there was some freshman in the New Pilot forum who basically said its super easy to build such an app on IOS. Maybe tease & push him a little bit?

Reactions: umanbean

volate!lo

Reaction score
I have been there (in the walled Apple garden) for a few weeks. My employer gave me a nice gift hamper back in 2010 IIRC for finishing some larger project including the just debuted iPad, iphone, and ipod nano. Played with it a few weeks, and decided that I don't like that nanny OS.

Gravity calibration.... maybe time to move it up a bit in the priority list

Reactions: Ansia

volate!lo

Reaction score
I think gravity calibration just went to the bottom of the todo list

volate!lo

Reaction score
I have been a dictator from the beginning. That just how SW development works: too many cooks spoil the broth. If too many conflicting ideas are allowed to get into an app its the end.

No worries about gravity calibration. I need it too.

Reactions: Ansia

volate!lo

Reaction score
Nope. I made my vision clear from the beginning but some people ignored that this is no open source project where everybody can influence the direction. After the same non-fitting requests popped up over and over again I was just a bit pi**ed recently, thats all.

My personal needs in terms of features have been met with v1.00 and I am not that altruistic that I would continue to put long hours into TelloFpv without revenue. Revenue is key to continued future development.
Some requests (like record & replay) not only don't fit the vision, but also impose high risk for the excellent ratings the app has on google play. Lower rating => lower revenue => no further development.

Its in the best interest of the user base that I keep the app focused and in shape.

Reactions: Flydrone and Ansia

volate!lo

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong. I haven't lost interest nor achieved my goals. While TelloFpv fulfills my personal needs now it is by far not where I want it to be. I still have tons of ideas, and as long as revenue comes in as it does currently I am happy to continue with development.

TelloFpv has recently started to exceed my expectations in terms of revenue so I can see active development for the coming months, not just maintenance. Maybe not 12-16h per day like in January, but still like a normal fulltime occupation.

Koedoe888

Reaction score
I'm using the app on a Huawei p smart. 1st thing for me is that the fact that I don't need to go into a seperate menu for sport and video mode is much safer in Changing conditions. Also the fact that you can adjust tilt angles to better fight the wind. I really like the return home button and it works great. Photos and video quality is better as is the live streaming. Overall it is much more polished than the tello app and less glitchy than the atello pilot app of which I have the paid version and the flight logs also provide nice to have info.

bhack

Reaction score
Interesting attitude ... I don't think anyone is obliged to explain anything in the first reply. People are asking, other people are answering to their best knowledge.

No plans for IOS. I'm a non-believer.
I installed TelloFPV on an old old Sansung Note 4 yesterday. I'm amazed by the improved responsiveness. These old Androids still had removable batteries that you pick up on Aliexpress, etc. for $10 to $20. Don't know what Android old versions work. Likely one of you friends has one lying in a drawer somewhere. Ask around. Unfortunately I had to switch to Apple to support my hearing aids. Yeah, I know what you are thinking. You are right. I'm old and decrepit, well in my 80's. But I'm having fun with my new found toy and I don't have to be a sport jock. So please bare with me. :ROFLMAO:

I see it is Android Version 5 and up that is compatible.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tubaman

ststith

Reaction score
I installed TelloFPV on an old old Sansung Note 4 yesterday. I'm amazed by the improved responsiveness. These old Androids still had removable batteries that you pick up on Aliexpress, etc. for $10 to $20. Don't know what Android old versions work. Likely one of you friends has one lying in a drawer somewhere. Ask around. Unfortunately I had to switch to Apple to support my hearing aids. Yeah, I know what you are thinking. You are right. I'm old and decrepit, well in my 80's. But I'm having fun with my new found toy and I don't have to be a sport jock. So please bare with me. :ROFLMAO:

I see it is Android Version 5 and up that is compatible.
bhack , hearing aids - Apologize OFF SUBJECT. I too use hearing aids - for 20 years. None very good especially noisy environments. Last summer purchased Bose HearPhones, $499. AMAZING hearing aids. I can now hear better in noisy environments than most people, young or old (matured). Have not tried the Apple system as I do not have Apple Ear Pods.

FrequentFlyer

Reaction score
New tello owner here, first thing I've been reading is to get this app and excited to get it, I tried the demo and it's fantastic. I just wanted to know does the height restriction actually work if I bump it up to the 30m and is it safe to fly at that point with no wind

volate!lo

Reaction score
Tello does not go higher than 30m, that is the restriction of the firmware.
Is it safe to fly at 30m? Well Tello won't fall out of the sky, but its not unlikely that VPS will switch off and you need to fly in atti mode (that is no assisted hover, no automatic drift compensation) but the altitude hold will, works.

FrequentFlyer

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response on the altitude question, just wondering if there's any forum that informs us customers who bought this wonderful app any updates or features that you're working on

Koedoe888

Reaction score
Lol. I got my tello with 3 batteries a few months ago. And I was happy with it. Then I bought the tello fpv app and was even happier and thought I won't spend any more money on it........ I then followed by getting a bluetooth controller and last night received my mi wifi repeater😁. I guess I have to put some money away now for the next volatello invention. Oh and ordered a travel case.

volate!lo

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response on the altitude question, just wondering if there's any forum that informs us customers who bought this wonderful app any updates or features that you're working on
Release notes are posted here: New app: TelloFPV
And on the facebook group in my signature

I don't comment on things that aren't released (well mostly, sometimes a word does escape ).

In my view the only things one should budget for a re batteries, a wifi extender, and a tupperware lunch box for transport (I don't like the cases available). Everything else is optional

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyNaras