Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Tello randomly spinning while idle in flight

IceAndFire

Reaction score
So I have this weird problem where while idling in flight, my Tello starts spinning randomly.

The spins range from about 45 degrees to multiple 360s before it stabilizes. The spins are random and inconsistent, from what I can tell always clockwise. When it does multiple 360s, it spins REALLY fast.

It recovers itself to it's original orientation after it stops spinning.

I did replace M4 recently which is clockwise with motor (8520) 8.5 x 20mm shaft 1.0mm (weight: 5gr) (35000rpm at 3V). I know it's not a Tello motor but I didn't have a choice.
I've ordered Tello motors from Aliexpress but they are not arriving anytime soon.

It did an occasional 180 during flight but I blamed it on sensors. Yesterday it crashed on concrete and it's doing these multiple 360s ever since.

My question is, is the new motor causing this or is the problem somewhere else?

there are no credible sources for genuine Tello motors, at least none that I am aware of.

Just make sure you replace both CW / CCW motors together and you should be fine, as good as it gets without paying for Ryze repair service.

The bottom camera could be a reason, but more likely massive vibrations due to bend motor shafts or broken / cheap props

Do you mean replace the other CW motor too or all 4?

there are no credible sources for genuine Tello motors, at least none that I am aware of.

Just make sure you replace both CW / CCW motors together and you should be fine, as good as it gets without paying for Ryze repair service.

The bottom camera could be a reason, but more likely massive vibrations due to bend motor shafts or broken / cheap props

I never replaced a motor, but common wisdom says always change the pair. If one CW is damaged, replace both CW.

Rational is that otherwise they have different thrust, causing trouble for the flight controller.

I never replaced a motor, but common wisdom says always change the pair. If one CW is damaged, replace both CW.

Rational is that otherwise they have different thrust, causing trouble for the flight controller.
Thank you.

Also back to the issue - The props I'm using are the 3 stock ones and 1 spare that came in the box - I see no visible damage so I think we can rule that out? Though the spare prop is kinda hard to mount and detach, but I doubt it's the issue? Might try the other spare tomorrow.

Shafts - I was spinning them all by hand just now - They spin without any difficulties so I'd say they're okay.

About the bottom camera - How can I determine if that's the issue?
I did mention that Tello rotates itself back to it's original position though, think that could rule it out?
If yes, that only leaves non-matching CW motors, right?

It's the inconsistency of this issue that bothers me... makes it look look like the sensors are faulty. Then again it could be just tello powering up the new motor to stabilize itself and going crazy because they are not matched?

Last edited:
Props: You can only rule the props out after you replaced all of them by fresh OEM ones.
Shaft: Take off props, then manually start the motors (CSC: sticks inward & down) , check the tips of the shafts if they are still a solid straight column or become wider & partly transparent at the top while spinning.
Camera: Only thing you can do is clean with a soft brush or pressurized air, but to me sounds unlikely

Props: You can only rule the props out after you replaced all of them by fresh OEM ones.
Shaft: Take off props, then manually start the motors (CSC: sticks inward & down) , check the tips of the shafts if they are still a solid straight column or become wider & partly transparent at the top while spinning.
Camera: Only thing you can do is clean with a soft brush or pressurized air, but to me sounds unlikely

Thank you for your help.

I love your app by the way, much better than the stock one.

Reactions: volate!lo

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
philipp.weisser@ksehingen