Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Tello reaching 728 meters flying TelloFPV app

@volate!lo

I'm sorry this mark wasn't achieved using your TelloFPV. It seems BlueJune's aTelloPilot is hard to win. :(

I didn't know anything about it. It's the first time I see this video.

Above all I congratulate Pilot Claudio Schulann for his mark. What he has achieved is incredible. I thought it was impossible to achieve something like that. It's hard to believe. ;)

In fact, there are some intriguing details in his flight that I invite him to clarify:

First, I noticed he is very brave leaving only 43% of battery for returning a whole kilometer. As you know, Tello automatically stops about 10%. It lets him 43%-10% = 33% battery for returning trip. It seems that he is not very worried about the return trip, isn't it ? Maybe he did not have to go back ? Where did he landed ? :unsure:

View attachment 3155

I'm shocked one kilometer away he is still getting 3 signal bars (max is four signal bars). That's about 70db. Maybe wifi repeater he is using is extremely good ? Maybe distance between pilot an drone is not so big ? I'll give a try that wifi repeater for sure.

View attachment 3156

Image quality is surprisingly good throughout entire flight, even at final turn. No glitches, no dropped frames, but... where is the final part of the flight and landing ? Why did he cut it ? :unsure:

And finally, I discovered at the very end of recording a human figure in the middle airstrip, close the drone. Who is he and what is he doing ? Of course, I hope he is not the pilot walking after the drone.

View attachment 3157

Again my congratulations. I hope this excellent pilot comments his experiences here and clarifies these dark points.

All the best.

Raul
---
I think the pilot walked... Or he used a super good ground station and the person on the end was a spotter and collector for the drone so he didn’t need the return leg. But judging by the high quality of signal why wouldn’t he go further til either the battery go flat or signal die? This french flight record is in a shroud of mystery.

Reactions: raulvolador
I think the pilot walked... Or he used a super good ground station and the person on the end was a spotter and collector for the drone so he didn’t need the return leg. But judging by the high quality of signal why wouldn’t he go further til either the battery go flat or signal die? This french flight record is in a shroud of mystery.

Totally agree with you.

I dig a bit into Claudio Schulann YouTube channel and I found out the place of the flight. Airstrip is located at Aeroporto Bandeirinhas, Brazil.

Using Google tools I measured an airstrip length about 886 meters. It seems too short to house a 1000 meters mark, notice Tello didn't reach end of airstrip along video.

bandeirinhas.jpg

Certainly shroud of mystery flight, but it awaken my curiosity about this model of wifi extender. I'll try it.

Raul.

Last edited:
For a $5 wifi extender with modded antennas the 1km distance is a major (!) achievement.

As soon as you shelf out $100 or more for a professional repeater plus directional antennas this shifts focus away from tinkering with antenna mods and having fun modding your setup.

If its just about distance I'd buy something like this and call it a day:
Ubiquiti Networks - PowerBeam® AC

I can already imagine myself walking around with that dish, setting that thing up in the middle of the park to fly my little tello Hahaha!

Raul on his next flight.stock-vector-a-vector-illustration-of-cartoon-man-with-a-tin-foil-hat-and-a-satellite-dish-127...jpg

On a serious note. We can observe that Claudio Schulann from time to time flies against the wind, instead of straight on the air strip. This causes the Tello to fly "farther" since it counts the ground it had to fly against the wind, even if it will loose it again. In reality it never flew the 1k, but the telemetry from the Tello sensors think it did.

Not sure if you guys understand what I mean. I sure didn't ??

:D
Really, your cartoon it's just like me. For sure some people must thought it when they see me carring things to my favorite flight zone.

On a serious note, strangest point about Claudio Schulann flight is so high signal level one kilometer far away and of course the odd lack of the last part of his video.

Just in case I have already ordered at amazon a wifi dongle like him. I'll keep you informed.

Raul.

wifi kobwa.jpg

Reactions: Ansia
Really, your cartoon it's just like me. For sure some people must thought it when they see me carring things to my favorite flight zone.

On a serious note, strangest point about Claudio Schulann flight is so high signal level one kilometer far away and of course the odd lack of the last part of his video.

Just in case I have already ordered at amazon a wifi dongle like him. I'll keep you informed.

Raul.

View attachment 3176
I have been thinking. Since clearly you have a passion for this. Why not get a true wifi range extender with a certified X amount of range and a car inverter where you can power this range extender. I know it's not practical, but I'm sure you will be able to beat your record with a more potent range extender than those USB ones can provide.

I’m curious. How can you get accurate range/distance measurements when the Tello does not have GPS positioning? It seems that some of the 3rd party Android apps (aTello Pilot, TelloFPV) are reporting distance. How can this be, if this info is not even recorded in the Tello DAT file?

I’m just curious as I’m on iOS so am stuck with the original app.

Chris

I’m curious. How can you get accurate range/distance measurements when the Tello does not have GPS positioning? It seems that some of the 3rd party Android apps (aTello Pilot, TelloFPV) are reporting distance. How can this be, if this info is not even recorded in the Tello DAT file?

I’m just curious as I’m on iOS so am stuck with the original app.

Chris
Same as with the holding position camera. It takes a photo every 2 seconds and the app does the math. if the Tello is flying at 3m/s and it has taken 3 photos then you have flown 18 meters.

Same as with the holding position camera. It takes a photo every 2 seconds and the app does the math. if the Tello is flying at 3m/s and it has taken 3 photos then you have flown 18 meters.
Thanks for enlightening me. Too bad the original app doesn’t do this.

Chris

Not _exactly_ true.

Tello has a downfacing camera which is used by the onboard VPS to calculate Tello's position. This is done with amazing accuracy and several times per second. Tello knows pretty well where it is as long as the VPS doe not get confused.
Stock app has access to the same data: it displays the horizontal speed, which is also calculated by VPS. They just chose not to use this information for some unknown reason. Conspiracy theories indicate its because DJI did not want Tello to get too close to a spark, but I don't believe in this.
I think its more that they did not want to be bothered by thousands of complaints from customers expecting GPS-like accuracy from a VPS-based drone.

Not _exactly_ true.

Tello has a downfacing camera which is used by the onboard VPS to calculate Tello's position. This is done with amazing accuracy and several times per second. Tello knows pretty well where it is as long as the VPS doe not get confused.
Stock app has access to the same data: it displays the horizontal speed, which is also calculated by VPS. They just chose not to use this information for some unknown reason. Conspiracy theories indicate its because DJI did not want Tello to get too close to a spark, but I don't believe in this.
I think its more that they did not want to be bothered by thousands of complaints from customers expecting GPS-like accuracy from a VPS-based drone.
Do you know it the DAT file stores the distance info? When I import it into AirData, I get Max Altitude, Max Speed, and Flight Time but no Max Distance. You would think that if the data is there it would show up like all the other data does.

I have a Spark and Tello doesn't even come close to what the Spark is capable of, so like you, I don't think it has anything to do with DJI.

Chris

Do you know it the DAT file stores the distance info? When I import it into AirData, I get Max Altitude, Max Speed, and Flight Time but no Max Distance. You would think that if the data is there it would show up like all the other data does...

For sure stock Tello app stores distance and velocity info into DAT file.

I noticed AirDate webpage is not able to manage all Tello's data. Instead I suggest you using CsvView app from @BudWalker forum member. See here Plotting Ryze Tello Routes with CsvView and here Drone log

I have just imported into CsvView one of my old Tello stock app DAT files for you:

tello dat stock app.jpg

As you can see into MVO category position and velocity X,Y and Z fields are there.

All the best.

Raul
------

Last edited:
For sure stock Tello app stores distance and velocity info into DAT file.

I noticed AirDate webpage is not able to manage all Tello's data. Instead I suggest you using CsvView app from @BudWalker forum member. See here Plotting Ryze Tello Routes with CsvView and here Drone log

I have just imported into CsvView one of my old Tello stock app DAT files for you:

View attachment 3195

As you can see into MVO category position and velocity X,Y and Z fields are there.

All the best.

Raul
------
I have used CsvView and got it to plot my route but it would be so cool if that data could be imported into AirData. What I like about AirData is that it is a central place to log all kinds of drone data. The problem with Tello is only limited info is shown.

Chris

Answering to myself:

I received and succesfully tested WIF+S Extender.

wifi+s.jpg

I'm shocked excelent performance achieved. I fact, it doubles range Xiaomi Repeater flying into residential area lot of 2.4ghz networks around, so heavy interference.

See my test here: WIFI+S Range Extender vs Xiami WIFI Repeater

Raul.

Last edited:
I took the insides out of the MI range extender, soldered SMS connectors on the antenna spots on the board ( there are two) soldered an old usb cable for power, put the whole mess in a plastic project, added an old 4Hawks antenna I had laying around and now I can easily go out over 1/2 mile before the signal starts to drop. I have plans to put two-2 watt boosters on the rig with the goal being a mile. I might add an external antenna to the Tello itself. Don’t say impossible because I regularly fly my Mavic 2 Zoom out 6 miles, which most people say is not possible. I do recommend the Marco Polo tracker (12 grams), which the Tello handles without a problem because I run with the prop hard removed.

I took the insides out of the MI range extender, soldered SMS connectors on the antenna spots on the board ( there are two) soldered an old usb cable for power, put the whole mess in a plastic project, added an old 4Hawks antenna I had laying around and now I can easily go out over 1/2 mile before the signal starts to drop. I have plans to put two-2 watt boosters on the rig with the goal being a mile. I might add an external antenna to the Tello itself. Don’t say impossible because I regularly fly my Mavic 2 Zoom out 6 miles, which most people say is not possible. I do recommend the Marco Polo tracker (12 grams), which the Tello handles without a problem because I run with the prop hard removed.

You are not the first one ;)

Myself and others have traveled the same path before, as you can read here: Xiaomi WIFI repeater external antennas mod

At the end I felt a bit dissapointed all the stuff needed. I prefer Tello naked simplicity nowadays.

I wish you good luck anyway. Have fun !

Raul.

Reactions: volate!lo

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv